M&K speakers - which Amp to drive them?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wonky, May 8, 2007.

1. Wonky

Wonky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

OK to the short list now consists of:

Arcam AVR 280 (£1200)
    Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi-S (£1000)
    Yamaha RXV-1700 (£1000)

Driving a set of M&K K5 speakers & sub ONLY for movies (music handled by separate stereo system)

You thoughts :lease: ...

Tim.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    hang around for a month possibly two if you can and see what the new Denon 3808 is like....

I think a couple other firms have some new amps coming out soon too....whilst HDMI 1.3 isnt the light at the end of the tunnel that the marketing men might have us think, i believe some of these new model amps will have other extra features which could prove useful to folks with AV as the main aspect.....

given Pioneers usual inclination to be forward and brighter, that might get a little overbearing with M&K which i understand are also quite forward.....i may be wrong however not having heard the combination.......i'd imagine either the Yamaha or the Arcam will prove to be the more useful...the Arcam probably doing better for films containing a large musical score, the Yamaha probably proving better with surround steering, but again as i havnt heard the models im merely going on what i've read from folks on the forums and experience with previous generation models...