1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K Speaker Price

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cessquill, Nov 14, 2002.

1. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, so I know these are on eBay, and they won't be shipped this far (without a bit of forethought), but how does a deal like this...

M&K Package on eBay US

...compare with what we're paying here?

Incidentally, whilst I'm here thinking about M&K (and this might sound like a stupid question but), I've been reading with interest about the M&K Professional Series on this site and would perhaps like to go down that avenue in the not too distant future if it means getting improved speakers with balanced inputs (I'm thinking active) - am I to understand that, since we're not talking about studio mixing, you don't need the bass management unit, since that'll all be handled by the processor?

Thirdly, their powered Tripoles (2525?). Would they be preferred for movie surrounds (perhaps in dipole mode) over fitting another pair of the 2510s to the side of you?

Thanks for reading thus far, thanks fo replying :)

2. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am glad i was not the only one to spot this and wish i had watered the plants instead of doing a search for m&k on ebay.

Your dead right about the price i was going to check how much cheaper it worked out ( before i started banging my head on the table ) now i just have a dull ache and a phrase comes to mind "rip off britain"

Never mind i'm hoping santa thinks i've been good this year and drops a set down my chimney

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    M&K are a forum favorite as far as pricing goes...... many members refuse to deal with the UK distributors because of their blatant price fixing.

ad

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Don't know if you've seen the ads in various hifi/av for MK Pro. Very simple ad, but at the end after plugging how good MK are and the fact that they are used in studios/pro usage they then give the email for the domestic lizard distributors. Is that not a case for trading standards, selling one product as another?

5. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Could you explain a bit further about their 'price fixing'? Do they refuse to supply dealers who discount their goods? If so this is illegal and should be reported to the OFT.

Please post some details.

6. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    US goods priced with a $1=£1 conversion factor seems to be a common occurance in this country. Why get so worked up about about M&K and single them out ? Surely it needs addressing across the board ?

Allan

7. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    surely this topic has been done to death by now:rolleyes:

most manufacturers and distributers sell to their dealers at the same price, meaning that we can choose our systems based on the quality and service of the dealers. They cannot fix the retail prices as this is both illegal and impossible to enforce. There could be hundreds of dealers and there is no way they will see every invoice form the dealer to end user!

As to the £ for $, it has been said many times that US prices do not include import duty, vat (which is high in this fine country) or carriage. So they are not like for like prices. Ask Lexicon, Wilson, Stewart, Parasound, Snell, M&K, Bryston etc etc and you will see that most imported products sell at around £ for $. If this is unacceptable, buy British.

8. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok how do we get round this ?

There must be a way of getting them through the back door so to speak ?

And just for the record i don't blame them for the surcharge why should they be any different, every company and the goverment are taking advantage of the great British public.

9. aris

aris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There are manufacturers and distributors who refuse to allow dealers to advertise at a lower cost - and refuse to allow them to sell at a lower cost. Sure they can sell at any price they want, but there is then the threat of having dealership contracts cancelled, or having supplies of product magically dry up or be delayed.

This is illegal and it needs to be stopped. If you know of practices like this, please post about them.

10. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    any 'back door' will still have to pay duty, vat and carriage. That is nearly all of the 'surcharge'.

Remember Britain pays one of the highest vat rates in europe, and double that of the US. And US prices don't include US vat either, so US prices are not the price you would pay even if you lived there.

death and taxes etc.

11. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    kwijibo: "Remember Britain pays one of the highest vat rates in europe"

Here in Norway we have 24% WAT, in Sweden and Denmark the WAT is also higher than the UK.
    BTW. M&K does not have ANY dealers in Norway.
    M&k s150p THX is 37.000 SEK in Sweden, thats ca. 2600£.

12. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    magking

I thought we had it bad

thanks for trying to make me feel a bit better and at 24% i'm not surprised norway doesnt have any dealers theres no point.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The average salary in Norway is much higher than over here so it's all relative.

14. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Scandinavia may have higher wages but they pay higher taxes.

This has gone way off the thread, I assume because it is exhausted. Cessquill, the thread starter has not ventured back and I'm with him on that.

Let it sleep, there's nothing to be said that hasn't been said a thousand times in other threads

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't mandatory to post. If you're bored with the thread just drop out. Others may have opinions that they wish to air.

16. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mod

kwijibo
    I am well aware that some subjects keep coming round but everybody has different levels of knowledge and i think it is a bit sellfish to tell everybody to stop on a thread which they find interesting just because you learnt it the same way at an earlier time.

And apart from anything some of the conditions which contribute to a price may well have changed over time i.e vat levels, import charges.

We only stop learning when we are dead

17. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by Ian J
    It isn't mandatory to post. If you're bored with the thread just drop out. Others may have opinions that they wish to air.

Does this only apply to threads you like :D :p ;)
    Cos you posted this in another thread just a few days ago :)

Originally posted by Ian J
    Don't be sorry it was a boring thread anyway. I have been answering all sorts of stupid questions on other threads just to get rid of this one but like all sorts of unwanted detritus, it keeps floating back to the surface.

:p :p :p :p :p

18. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm still listening...

The subject may have been done to death, but the original question "Is this a good deal?" probably hasn't.

I'm sorry if I don't know as much as you guys, but that's why I'm asking questions, and you're kind enough to answer them. :)

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes :D

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately this doesn't just apply to hifi and AV equipment but to many other things. The phrase "rip off Britain" didn't come into common useage without good reason.

There are ways to beat the system but too many people can't be bothered to put in any effort. My original DVD player was an American import and I spent a number of years driving personally imported cars.

If anyone feels that something is significantly cheaper in USA even after accounting for freight, import duty and freight they should jump on a plane (not that expensive) and buy it over there and bring it back themselves.

21. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cessquill

Feel free to ask questions thats what its all about, we all carry on learning and questions leads to debate which can only be a good thing.

What i would like to know is if i was to go to the USA and buy a set of for example of m&k speakers what are the costs involved and how do i find out what they are, my main query is if a price is advertised how do i know what is/is not included and what is likely to be added

If you knew someone living in the states would it be cheaper to

1 Get them to buy and forward them to me??? (no wise cracks i would give them the money)

2 Does it matter where they live (are there any more / higher charges in certain states ???

3 Are there any problems with getting them sent only, as opposed to physically bringing them back with you (do different rules apply)???

For all those of you who allready know the answer to these questions i apologise for boring you.

22. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, different states do have varying levels of tax, not sure how this would apply with something off ebay though.

It would probably be very expensive to ship them I would guess, it would interesting to find out how it would be much based on the weight of all the boxes.

I know I have made my opinions known on this before - I'm just curious as to how much it would cost to import something of that size.

What other charges might apply when they land in the UK.

VAT?
    Customs Charge (similar to dvd boxsets ??)

Just curious, thats all.

Regards, Texas

23. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Along with some other forum members I have imported Lexicon processor bought from an eBay seller in the US. As a guide to the final cost to you in the UK multiply the price on the eBay by 1.25 and convert to pounds. Due to weight of the speakers cost maybe higher.

This end up to approx £3,000 for something you can readily buy over here for approx £5,250. Check if the sub has 110/220V switch and pay with a credit card. The saving is so massive that even if all six speakers develop a fault after 2 years (an extremely low probability event) you have still saved enough to import a completely new set.

If the risks are too high ask yourself a question: would £2,250 properly compensate you for hustle of dealing with an overseas supplier, lack of manufacturer warranty in this country, and an uneasy feeling that somehow you did not allow yourself to be taken for a ride?