M&K Sound THX / Dominus Subwoofer thread.

Totally agree on price, but I'm only going on the Dirac based graphs that Yorkshire AV posted recently for the Perlistens.
Yeah I get it. It’s a really good guide but the graphs in someone else’s room is not what it will be in others. . . ‘Probably’

:D

Their distortion figures are also really, really good.

Perlisten that is, I havn’t measured the MK.

Last edited:
Their distortion figures are also really, really good.

Perlisten that is, I havn’t measured the MK.
My X12’s were still below 1% @ 15Hz 100dB, so to answer that question very low.

Personally I’ll never switch from push/pull, I know Rich has gone to 6x C15S in the main room but to me the dual X10’s sounded better, despite not going as deep and the only thing I can attribute it to from subs I’ve heard is the push/pull designs.

If I had the cash to blow on two X15+ or the D15 it would be the X15+ no questions asked, £3k is a lot more but when we are talking £9k vs. £12k they are both big bucks figures so I don’t see it as that significant to get what you want. If it were £3K vs £6K then it would be very different.

My X12’s were still below 1% @ 15Hz 100dB, so to answer that question very low.

Personally I’ll never switch from push/pull, I know Rich has gone to 6x C15S in the main room but to me the dual X10’s sounded better, despite not going as deep and the only thing I can attribute it to from subs I’ve heard is the push/pull designs.

If I had the cash to blow on two X15+ or the D15 it would be the X15+ no questions asked, £3k is a lot more but when we are talking £9k vs. £12k they are both big bucks figures so I don’t see it as that significant to get what you want. If it were £3K vs £6K then it would be very different.
In my experience a smaller sub can sound better over a larger sub in the same room. All a preference thing in the end and I know I prefer accuracy and impact.

As for the price, at this point they need to be heard in your own room.

If you liked the smaller dem room at Seriously Cinema.......and I think its amazing... you should hear the difference switching from X10's to X10+'s has made. Its a huge improvement. If you have the chance to visit again I'd love to hear your feedback.

The larger room with the 6 x CS15's has the most dynamic, scary bass I've heard.

In my experience a smaller sub can sound better over a larger sub in the same room. All a preference thing in the end and I know I prefer accuracy and impact.

As for the price, at this point they need to be heard in your own room.
Ideally yes, although I think as long as your room and the demo room are similar dimensions/ratios you can get a pretty good idea.

Any link to that information?
That was my own REW sweeps when I’d just set it up to quickly test what they could do. I’ll do some more once it’s back up and running.

If you liked the smaller dem room at Seriously Cinema.......and I think its amazing... you should hear the difference switching from X10's to X10+'s has made. Its a huge improvement. If you have the chance to visit again I'd love to hear your feedback.

The larger room with the 6 x CS15's has the most dynamic, scary bass I've heard.
I’m sure I’ll be down there again closer to build time once I know how much the room is going to cost. Hopefully I won’t hear much difference otherwise the temptation to twitch to 2 x X12+’s will be strong! Although may be a moot point with all the price increases on everything pillaging my build funds :(.

Spent the evening listening to a pair of X15+ subwoofers as part of an M&K 300 9.2.4 system. Absolutely stunning. These have replaced the 6 x X12’s that were in situ and there is now deeper, richer and lower bass whilst still retaining accuracy and tactile detail. A very noticeable upgrade on all fronts. M&K have worked wonders with their new + Series subwoofers.

M&K's new X+ subs have transformed the performance of their systems. Its taken me a little while to get them set up correctly but now they are, the quality of the systems with these subs is incredible.

Please get a touch if you'd like a listen.

Most of the high end cinema systems on demonstration in the UK use multiple sub woofers that cost 2-3 times of the price of the new M&K subs. None of them deliver the same power or quality.

If you are in the market for a cinema, whatever else you do, be sure to go and audition as many options as possible. Price is no indication of quality.

Just finalizing a new s150 system presently with the x10 sub and wondering if its worth upgrading to either the x12 or x10+ for a room size of L7.2m x W4.7m x H2.7m. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks

As the x10's and x12s are runout in Aus at the moment, I can get the x12 for a better price than the x10+. Which would you recommend would be a better upgrade? Thanks again!
How about picking up a second X10 and run dual subs instead?

As the x10's and x12s are runout in Aus at the moment, I can get the x12 for a better price than the x10+. Which would you recommend would be a better upgrade? Thanks again!

It´s unlikely that you get ideal response with just one sub so the 2nd can become very helpfull and of course you get extra headroom plus more room filling bass without localization. How many times you see people making threads at audio forums that buying 2nd sub was mistake? :) The answer is almost never cause most of times people feel it was the best purchase they have made, very noticeable. So adding another X10 makes sense if you like it otherwise.

X12 has larger cabinet volume and larger drivers so for one sub solution it will offer better performance over X10+. X12 also has THX Ultra2 cert. so ideal for 3000cuft room, X10/X10+ is Select certified so ideal for 2000cuft room, however when you add 2nd it may jump to Ultra. Your room volume is 3122cuft so basically one X10/X10+ isn`t going to cut it if you go balls to walls.

However as your room is rather large you could also consider some ported subs which would fill the space better with greater impact, but naturally it will sound quite different what you have now and which you prefer more you have to find out. The same would apply though going dual route, not necessarily right away but long term.

Thanks very much for the guidance. I'm presently trying to get the entire room up and running which is proving to be a very expensive exercise. Looking to start with just 1 sub first and just buy the best I can afford hence trying to upgrade to x12 but just not sure as yet. Everything I hear so far is the x12 is a beast and I'm not sure if its more than I need as I don't lean towards a very bass heavy sound.

I noticed I was the second poster on this thread and ive still not heard one…hmmmm now ive decided to move away from the psa is there anyone i surrey that could demo these?

Just finalizing a new s150 system presently with the x10 sub and wondering if its worth upgrading to either the x12 or x10+ for a room size of L7.2m x W4.7m x H2.7m. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks
Defiantly go for two subs whatever you do.

Two subs give more consistent results.

M&K subs they have very even response up to 200Hz which means if you place them in the front corners of the room, you can experiment with higher crossover to you front LCR speakers. I find this is always better for cinema as the system benefits from a hug jump in dynamics and power handling.

The X+ series are way more powerful than the previous generation. I'm just testing an X12+ in place of an X12 and it now feels as if the room is about to explode.....this is exactly what Home Cinema Choice said of the X15+.

The custom CS15 is also bonkers. Seriously Cinema have 6 in their main cinema and I've never heard such fast, aggressive, dynamic bass. Its really scary.

I expect my personal set of X15+'s to reach me in the next week and should get them dialled in, just in time to head back to the US where there is a pair of X12+ and X15's waiting for me, as well as a host of other stuff.

We finally calibrated our new showroom dual X10+ over the weekend. A definite step up from the original X10’s that they replace. More output and detail.

Our larger room with the 6 x C15S is pretty incredible. Ferocious and detailed bass. 🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊🔊

Hi, i Just ordered 2 v10+ subs and need 2 sub cables but wondering what to buy. I have arcam av40 surround procceror and Will use dirac live for calibration. Do i only need single ended RCA connected in subs mono input Even though im mostly listening to stereo music(not lfe movie sound)?

Sweet Jesus these things are awkward up a flight of stairs!

Too tired to unbox, heart failure imminent

IMG20220815130455.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom