M&K S85s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matt F, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Borrowed some ex-dem L&R and C S85s last night to try out - here are my thoughts. All listening was done with them wired in the normal (not the bright) position.

Firstly they are tiny, odd looking little suckers - I knew the front baffle was angled inwards but I didn't realise the sides are non parallel as well - they looked really odd on my stands but they are designed like this for a reason.

Anyway, listening in stereo to start with, very impressive - open, detailed (but not bright), complete lack of "boxiness", great midrange, good (but not great) imaging. Compared to the 750THXs (that I used to own), I thought the S85s were more natural and imaged much better - definitely worth the few hundred quid extra.

They don't, however, image as well as my KEF Ref 2-2s but the KEFs are exceptional in this area and cost over twice as much as the S85s.

Another thing the stereo comparisons taught me is that the S85s really deserve to be partnered with a superb subwoofer - they sounded good with my Q200E but the bass, although slightly deeper, didn't sound quite as fast or tight as the Ref 2-2s used on their own.

For movies they were excellent but there wasn't a lot in it between them and the 2-2s with a 100C centre speaker - the S85's maybe had the slight edge but, on the other hand, I kind of preferred the sound with the 2-2s set to large, banging out the low notes along with the sub - Saving Private Ryan in DTS certainly sounded better to me this way - the bass was spread out better - lots coming from the sub but some great low energy coming straight at you from the 2-2s. Of course this is subjective - a lot depends upon the sub in question and its placement.

So, in conclusion, as Tony Tiger would say, they're great - if I was going for a sub-sat set up they would be the ones and anyone with this budget should go for them. However, they didn't quite do enough for me in stereo to make me even consider changing my 2-2s, although they were still very, very good it must be said. We're back to that old argument here - music or movies? The KEFs excel at music and are very good at movies, the S85s very good at music, exceptional with movies - both brilliant compromises - I'd be happy with either but I'll stick with the KEFs.

Finally, just a word on ex-demo gear (particularly speakers) - I couldn't believe what a sorry state the cabinets were in on the S85s - scratches all over them, worn corners - there's no way I'd have them in my lounge looking like that - I would have had to buy brand new ones. I guess this may be understandable as they are moved around a lot and lent out but just beware if you're tempted to buy any ex-demo gear without viewing it first!

Matt.

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,
    As I've been saying here for an eternity. They are brilliant for the money. In fact, I believe that if they were partnered with the sub they deserve, they would blow your mind even more.
    These really deserve a sub that will give them the "floor" they need. Once this is added, the whole substance of these babys change. Great speakers.

Ian J has the Professional MPS 1510 version which sound even better :eek:

Regards
    Eric

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ..and cost how much more than the standard S85s?

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you believe LESS :eek: :eek:

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You always do this dont you - i.e. tempt me.

Any chance of p.m.ing me a price list of the various models (Particularly the 1510, 1610, 1520 and 1525)?

Many thanks,

Matt.