1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K S85's - worth swapping???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SpiderManPants, Feb 14, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon All,

I have read quite a few very favourable reviews about M&K's S85 speakers.

I currently own 4 x B&W 601 S3's (fronts and rears, no centre) and a M&K MX-70B Sub (thanks to Common!) powered by a Denon 3801.

My question is this... Is it worth me upgrading to the M&K S85's, as I've recently been offered the front three for £800. It would mean me selling my 601's and some other hi-fi gear (Ebay stylee) to pay for them, and waiting untill I can afford some rears to match them tonally.

Are the S85's that good? I like all kinds of music, from Paul Weller to Miles Davis to Nirvana, and my taste in movies goes from 'Manhattan' to 'From Dusk 'till Dawn'. So as you can see they need to be very versatile.

Also, will the Denon struggle to power their 4 Ohm impedence?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

SMP

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SMP
    The S85's are great speakers. Do a search and you'll find quite a few positive posts about these.
    The 3801 will drive them adequately
    Ideally, to get the best out of them, the more clean power you push into these the better they will sing.

3. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Uncle Eric,

I have read everything I can get my hands on about these speakers, but I'm just not 100% convinced they are as good as they are said to be.

I think it's because it means me buying them blind and selling my beloved Rega Planet CD player!!!

Are they worth the 800 quid asking price, bearing in mind this is for the front L + R and the 85C???

Also, I wanted to flush mount the front L+R onto my walls, but I've been quoted £95 each:eek: for the brackets. Is this correct or is there a different bracket I could use that will give the same visual effect?

SMP

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have the M&K Pro equivalents and can say a resounding "Yes"

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I put a pair of S85's up against a pair of £1750 KEF Reference 2-2's (which I owned at the time). The results were shockingly close - the KEF's had the edge on the imaging side (but they beat almost anything in this respect thanks to their UniQ drivers) but the S85's were more open.

The S85's are great little speakers - very good in stereo, stunning with movies. The only caveat is that they must be partnered with a decent sub - thankfully the MX70B is such a sub.

My demo's with the S85's led me to sell the KEFs and to get the pro versions of the S85's (the MPS1510's) as replacements. I couldn't be more happy with them.

Get them - you won't be disappointed. The 3801 will drive them but with more power/quality the S85's will be better still.

As far as brackets go, I'm sure Uncle Eric will know of some much more reasonably priced alternatives.

Matt.

6. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matt,

That's just the kind of advice I needed. I've always wanted a set of M&K's, ever since demo'ing some with a friend of mine way back in 1998.

I think he ended up buying the 750THX system, which sounded fantastic with film, but ****e with movies. I need something that can handle both, as I love my music and movies equally. This is something that the S85's can do (apparently), so that's why I'm thinking of getting them.

I have also been offered another pair for £500, which I'm thinking of using as rears. Is this wise, or would I be better off getting the new K4's? (Uncle Eric where are you???)

Thanks everyone for your input thus far...

SMP

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes this is very wise. The S85's are in a different league to the K series so another pair would be just fine as rears.

I'd PM Eric about brackets if I were you. In the meantime get those S85's ordered.

Matt.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You must be the only member that doesn't know where to find uncle eric. Try sending him a PM

If you intend to buy some S85 I would hurry up as M&K no longer make them and the dealers will be running down any stock that they have.

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Everyone says they are good ... but think VERY carefully before selling your Rega CD player if listening to music is important to you ... make sure you test the quality of CDs through your DVD player or you'll be wanting to buy a replacement CD player very soon!!

Victoria

10. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply and offer their advice. :smashin:

Secondly, I thought I'd better let you all know that I took the plunge and got them! First impressions are WOW!!! These things just beg to be cranked up loud, I don't think there's much to be said about them that hasn't already been said, but I can now hear things I never heard before, they are just so much clearer and precise than anything I've heard to date.

Thanks guys for all your comments and help. All I want now is a Rotel RMB-1075 and I'll be happy for an hour or two... :devil:

SMP