1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K S85s - Which Speaker Cable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SpiderManPants, Jul 9, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm currently using these speakers for the front three, but I have another pair coming my way on Friday for surround duties :devil: and I was wondering what speaker cable would be best to use with them.

My LCR speakers are connected with CableTalk 3.1, is it best to stick with this or upgrade the whole lot. I don't really want to spend any more than £5 a metre (especially if I need to upgrade the whole lot) as money is tight at the moment.

Thanks in advance

SMP

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    As a well-known cable sceptic I stand by my opinion that Maplin's 69p per metre cable is quite good enough for just about any connection, so long as you don't need the wires to be more than 5 or 6 metres long.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Qed micro-£1.00 metre excellent for surround dutys easy to hide.
    I used cable talk speaker cable once for my rears but it was so damn thick so was advised to use micro which i did (no audible differance) Honest.
    Gonzo.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if more than 5 or 6 metres??:devil:

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i was using chord oddysey with my s125 (an extra basss driver to the s85) and it was quite bright. changed it for qed silver anniversery which is 3 times cheaper and it sounds much better, to me anyway

6. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input thus far.

SMP

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    Something a bit thicker. 12-gauge or (in extreme cases) 10-gauge copper wire.

Maplin's do some for £2.29 or £3.49 a metre, but that's Oxygen Free Copper, which probably bumps the price up slightly without (I suspect) much tangible benefit. You could try Studio Spares (click here) - they have some 10-gauge wire at £1.59+VAT (about £1.87) per metre.

8. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    SMP

I know the S85's have been discontinued so where did you you get yours from? How much did they cost if you don't mind me asking and what sub are you going to use with them? I've yet to hear a bad word about em on the forum!!

cheers

Megson

9. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Update*

I've decided to go with Maplins £3.99 p/m bi-wire and split it into 2 lengths. This works out cheaper than buying 2 seperate lengths of 2-strand, and has the advantage of being slightly better than 12-gauge! ;)

Megson,

My first set of S85s were bought from a shop in London called Infidelity and it was their last set (ex-dem). I paid £800 for the front three, which is an excellent price as they are in very good condition cosmetically.

My current purchase is from a shop in Oxford and the speakers are second-hand, and they are costing me £600 for LCR, which is even better than my last bargain! ;)

The subwoofer I am using at the moment is M&K's MX-70B, which gives very immpressive results considering it's size.

I'll give you a tip, every now and again search for the words M&K in google.co.uk. You'll have to sift through loads of sh*t, but eventually a bargain will arise, believe me...

Thanks again for all the help

SMP