1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K S150 Front Speakers LCR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DEO, Mar 6, 2003.

1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple more thoughts here:

M&K S150C Centre Channels and S150AC Angled Centre Channels

Now the standard right and left S150 speakers are complementarily angled in the horizontal plane to give a bit of automatic "shoe in".

The standard centres are not angled in any way and have a square front baffle.

Are there any comments or possible benefits in having 3 identical centre speakers instead of the normal LCR?

According to the M&K site the angled centres have the front baffle angled 7.5 degrees in the vertical plane.

Alternatively what about three angled centres either wallmounted above the TV angled to point down or wallmounted below the TV and angled to point up? Could you therefore have the 3 identical fronts positioned side by side right next to each other?

I assume an SPL can still be used to fine tune.

The latter approach will help with placement because ear height is a difficult height for me to place the front speakers. They need to be higher or preferably lower.

I know it is very theoretical: are forum members more traditional in the positioning of the front speakers?

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have these. My centre is below my projector screen and is the flat fronted type with the angled L&R.

The obvious benefit is voice matching. All 3 speakers sound the same as long as you have got the same make of amp driving it.

The case you talk about would work but you can use an M&K speker stand to adjust the angle of the speaker so if you had a very short post and the adjustable bracket then you would be able to angle it up to your listening position and the cones would be the same orientation as the L&R speakers.

I use a SPL meter to set up all mine. A laser alignment tool would help in your case to get it firing exactly towards you.

hope that helps
    Darren

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use three identical M&K Pro speakers as my front three and have a completely transparent soundstage.

As uncle eric frequently says, a centre speaker from the same manufacturer using similar drive units will not sound the same as the front mains as the centre speaker is invariably a completely different shape and internal volume and some have a completely different complement of drivers anyway.

Needless to say, Eric also does not have a dedicated centre but has three identical speakers at the front.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have always agreed with the above and did discuss this on an old thread.

The problem is always cost against compromise.

If you can afford this setup go for it.

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing here is that most of us can afford this quite easily.
    Many here use bookshelf speakers and a sub. If one can negate the placement of the centre with their display device, all that needs doing is to simply buy 3 pairs of standmount speakers and you have a perfectly matching 6.1 sub/sat system.
    The not so gradual move to plasma will make this easier as folks wouldn't have to worry about placing the centre above or below their TV which is yet another compromise anyway even with a so called "dedicated centre".
    Simply, the front sound stage would consist of 3 standmount speakers placed on stands of course, and the Plasma would be on the wall just above the centre speaker. The other three would of course be used as a pair of surrounds and centre back.

A university student from the forums asked me the other day to recommend a speaker system at no more than £200.
    I suggested 3 pairs of Kef Cresta 1's from Richer Sounds which he managed to buy for just under £120 the lot :eek:
    He then tied these into an old yammy sub given to him by his father, and hey presto, a 6.1 system for peanuts.