1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K S-85 magnetically shielded?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sjp21, Apr 10, 2002.

1. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm thinking of upgrading my existing Def Tech procinema speaker package to an M&K system. I've recently purchased an REL Q201e subwoofer so I would only need replacements for the satellites and center. From the various reviews and comments it looks like the S-85's would be a considerable improvement on my existing system. However, due to the position of the TV I would need to locate the front speakers near the TV. I've seen two versions of the S-85 advertised on M&K's website: the non-shielded S-85 and the magnetically shielded S-85 TV. Are both available in the UK, since I've only seen adverts for the S-85 and how much more expensive are they?

Any info on M&K dealers near York with S-85's on demo would be also be helpful.

2. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Though not strictly close to York, Sevenoak in Hull are M&K dealers and they would be your closest. Paul and Lee are doing a fine job there.

The S85's are the speakers we keep in stock, but the S85TV (and S125TV) are available as a special order. I think they are about £100 pair extra although I would have to confirm that for you as we don't need to get many in. Speak to your dealer and when the time comes I will get an accurate price. The delivery is normally 4 - 6 weeks. Standard S85s are in stock.

Hope this helps

3. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My S-85's have magnetically shielded on the boxes.

I didn't realise there were cheaper versions !!

Not that I'm bothered. I love them to bits.

Regards

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm considering going for S85s but it seems a bit off to have to pay an extra £100 to have magnetically shielded versions, especially as they are primarily home theatre speakers and, therefore, will often be used near a TV.

The question is though - how close can non magnetically shielded speakers get to a TV screen before they start effecting it? 1 foot, 2 feet? Anyone know?

Matt.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Mine are 55cm either side of a 29" 4:3 Sony Trinitron TV and haven't caused any problems.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Matt

I agree entirely with you on this one, it does seem odd to have to pay extra for the shielded version. Probably isn't an issue in the USA since they all live in houses the size of barns and can locate their speakers miles away from their huge HDTVs! The manual on the M&K website states that you should allow 2-3 foot clearance for the non-shielded speakers.

To defend Paul, the £100 extra he suggests is is just a guess at this stage. The price differential reported on M&K's website is only $50. Still, given the comedy exchange rates commonly applied by USA speaker/AV manufacturers ($1=£1), I wouldn't be suprised if the final figure is close to what Paul suggests.

At that price I think they may also be out of my league, which is a shame. I'm finding it hard enough justifying the price of the S-85s without having to factor in this additional expenditure. I've never understood why imported US products are so much more expensive over here. Lets face it I could probably fly out first-class to the States, have a holiday and bring a set of speakers back for less than I would be charged here!

P.S. Paul this isn't meant as an attack on you. I think you do a great job in promoting M&K and I wouldn't have considered them apart from the postive messages on this site. I'm just fed up with getting such a raw deal in comparison with the USA.

7. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have only ever sold two pairs of S85TV's!!!

This is not an issue to concern anyone. The S85's and S125's can be positioned close to a TV as Liam as suggested without any problems at all. Being a satellite speaker the magnets are not large so it less of a problem that with conventional floorstanders. If you have any concerns try them either at the dealers or at home to be sure.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you mean 21.7" either side of a 74cm TV

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    No, because that would be more likely to confuse some of the older members of the forum.

Oh, I see it already has.

Cheers,
    Liam