M&K S-150THX vs Arendal Sound 1723 Monitor THX vs Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX : The battle of old, new, and high value THX

paulgyro

Novice Member
Good day everyone! I know there are a lot of M&K fans around here so thought it the best place to have this discussion.

I recently sold my Forte IIIs and am waiting for the Arendal 1723 THX to be delivered, no ETA as of yet.

As I wait I'm of course keeping an eye on the used market as well continuing to consider options. I just can't help it!

Recently three M&K S-150THX came up for sale locally for only $400. Yes you heard right.

The middle ground between the M&Ks and Arendal is the Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX , a nice tower speakers that splits the different pricewise between the Arendal and use M&K.

In the end we are comparing a 20 year old THX speaker to two latest generation THX all featuring very different designs.

I'm looking for something more accurate them the Klipsch I had but still but "alive", which is the best part of the Fortes IIIs.

Any words of wisdom between these three speakers?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Old or even newer S150 can`t keep up with 1723 Monitors (full size 2x8") in dynamics as the smaller S has been noticeable step up which shouldn´t be suprise due to size. @DodgeTheViper had (still has 1723 S) all three S150, 1723 S (2x6,5"), 1723 (2x8") LCR so tag him if you want to know something specific. Few members have also prefered 1723s over M&K S300.

Shane moved from the old S150 to 1723 S. He compares them in this clip:

If i`m not mistaken same person designed the Monolith THX and Arendal 1723 THX ranges. You know the differences (3-way vs. 2-way w/ large waweguide) and seeing your other reply you have read Audioholics measurements. Erins Audio Corner is going to measure the towers at some point with Klippel. Arendal is getting more popular in US which is nice to see! @Jase has both old M&Ks and Monoprices, not sure has he owned the S150s.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
At $400 for 3 MK S150's came up local I would buy them try them and if they don't do the job sell them for what you paid for them. They could be Mk1 for that price they are now on Mk3 IIRC.

The First generation were quite clinical and as the generations moved on became a "little" smoother. Over here a new S150 is £1400 each.

The Arendal are nice speakers and sound different to the MK and can be run with or without sub unlike the MK where a sub is essential. They are well built and are a cheaper than new MK's and you can read reviews to get a better handle on the sound attributes.

As to the Monolith THX I have a full set of the 365T/265B and dual Mono 12" THX subs in my living room and find that value for money they are the tops and sound superb. Having heard Arendal 1723 Monitor S would say there is not much to choose between them sound wise except the Arendal are a bit better built and quite a bit more expensive. I have not heard the full 1723 Monitors just he S version.

You have available to you the 460 Towers which I have not heard but would say they should be a step up from my 365/265's without doubt so I would expect them to outshine all the speakers you are asking about.

I would still get the MK's though and like I said try them and sell them just to see whether you like them or not.

Jase

Distinguished Member
$400 is a bargain for M&K S150's so I'd be snapping those up straightaway. Even though you have Arendals on order at that price you could run them for a while and move them on again if need be or keep them as a second system.

I've had three sets of S150THX as well as the Monoprice THX-365. The Monoprice are a bit more laid back than the M&K so I actually preferred them for music. Movies is a closer thing as they both sound dynamic and punchy. The Mono's have more slam due to their bigger drivers but the M&K's have a bit more top end detail due to the three tweeters. Vocals and midrange I'd give it to the Mono's as they sound a bit warmer/smoother.

paulgyro

Novice Member
Thanks for all the feedback. Certainly a lot of wisdom shared in your responses. It sounds like the show down is really between the Arendal 1723 THX and the Monoprice THX-460T THX. The 5.25" drivers of the M&K have to be a limiting factor dynamically, at least in the far field.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the feedback. Certainly a lot of wisdom shared in your responses. It sounds like the show down is really between the Arendal 1723 THX and the Monoprice THX-460T THX. The 5.25" drivers of the M&K have to be a limiting factor dynamically, at least in the far field.

The S150's are still more than capable in terms of dynamics (that's actually one of their strengths). Gunshots and explosions were easily handled at reference level from the listening position at around 11 feet away in my room.

They do benefit from plenty of power behind them though, especially if pushing towards higher volume levels.

One thing I will say is they need to be positioned correctly or you won't get the best out of them. The vertical orientation is designed to be listened to pretty much on-axis to the central tweeter.

The Monoprice (THX-365) are a bit more flexible in that respect.

Last edited:

paulgyro

Novice Member
So the current plan is to pick up the M&K to use while I wait for the Arendal's, though it looks like they Arendal's might get here before Christmas. Either way I get to test out the M&Ks like I've always wanted and can most likely resale them for a profit. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Good choice in getting the M&K you should not loose any $$ and may even make a profit, what's not to like😍

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom