Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

M&K question RE: 2 sets of tripoles!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John Watts, Sep 6, 2005.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all,
    I was sat thinking about how much neater my K4 tripoles are than my S85's
    So what i thought was what about keeping the front 3 the same and using 2 sets of tripoles "banked" along the side walls pretty much the same as cinemas do?
    Have any of you folks tried this? if so what were the results?

Also while i have you has anyone tried to spray the cabinets and grills before? I really wan't to spray mine white but i'm a bit timid about it.

Cheers for any help,
    John.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I haven't tried it but would guess that the sound would end up messy as two of the drivers on each side would be firing into each other.

S85 at the front and plus a pair of K4 at the rear sounds like a superb system to me - but I may be biased.

3. Pattaya Dave

Pattaya Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I don't think you would get any benefit running 2 sets of K-4 tripoles along the side walls. They do that in cinemas because they have many rows of seats and they want everyone in the cinema whether they be in the front row, middle or back row section to experience the effects of surround sound. They also have the proper equipment to set the correct sound delays to make this work in unison. In a small home theater situation with only one, maybe two rows of seats, this would not be necessary.
    The other thing you must consider is that M&K speakers in general, K-4 included, are rated at 4 OHM. Connecting "banks" of K-4's on both side walls may result in a 2 OHM load on your AV Receiver or Amp.
    I personally use a Yamaha DSP-AZ1 AV Amp driving an array of M&K Speakers beginning with 3 front/center/right S-125's with SS-550's as front effects speakers, SS-150 Tripoles as left and right Rear Surround Speakers and a single S-85 as the Rear Center Speaker. Video is provided by a Yamaha S-540 DVD Player and a Panasonic TH50-PV500 Plasma TV. This combination works great in my 4 x 4.6 meter Home Theater Room. My Yamaha S-540 will soon be replaced with the Pioneer 969AVi or 989AVi DVD Player to take advantage of the HDMI connection to the Panasonic Plasma.

Pattaya Dave