M&K Professional Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by uncle eric, May 18, 2002.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just used a set of MPS 1510's for a simple install (more like an upgrade really) for a customer and just thought I'd mention one or two things about their pro series as little is heard of this range.

The MPS or Pro series are geared towards the recording or sound studio and is sold under the M&K Professional brand.

Taking their MPS 1510's as an example, at a glance, they look to be the S85's with a serial number change, a 'Professional' logo and a price hike.
    This is far from the truth. The 1510's have a different cabinet construction with even better bracing than the S85's. Also, the cabinets are not angled as in the case of the S85. Internally, while the same drivers are used, the crossover is an entirely different design.
    On the negative side, if you have kids that like to poke things with pencils, either tie them down somewhere or stay away from the Pro range otherwise you will be a nervous wreck in no time. The Pro series do not come with front covers hence the drivers are exposed.
    For serious audiophiles this is a non issue, as most of these folks leave the covers off anyway.

Out of the box and stone cold I was expecting a fairly harsh and brash sound. Also, with both the S85's and MPS1510's having identical drivers and similar sized enclosure, I wasn't expecting much of a difference in overall sound quality.

Er, wrong wrong wrong.

I played two channel SACD's using a pair of 1510's and my pair of REL 100's as this was pretty much the best way I could test these in my demo room. A match made in heaven when you think about it, one sub per channel and nicely balanced they were to.

Stone cold, they sounded sensational from the off. They had a slightly warmer and sweeter 'flavour' than the S85's (which I found pleasing) and were articulate and involving to a point thats hard to believe. The soundstage and and separation was so accurate, I could actually hear depth as well as width in front of me. Some of the instruments were in the foreground while some are heard further back.

Having said that, the single most striking aspect of these speakers was its dynamic contrast. (Many people associate dynamics with loudness or being able to go loud)

To me its about contrasts. That is to say its ability to go from the quietest passages of a given track to the loudest without the slightest loss of fidelity, while at the same time giving its best throughout all the subtle variations of quiet and loud in between. The overall musicality was spot on. Vocals had a being there quality that was amazing while instruments like strings, brass and percussion were delivered accurately and without fuss. In a word, transparent.
    I swapped the 1510's every so often with my S150's to note the differences. The 150's had an almost unoticable slightly 'fuller' sound (due in some part to its five driver configuration and much larger internal volume) and slightly higher output given the same amp settings, I measured around 3 db's, which I compensated for with slightly higher power settings. Both the 1510's and my S150THX are rated at 400 watts (unclipped peaks)

To sum up, looking at the diminutive size and ordinary looks of these fantastic speakers its hard to believe the quality of presentation that is produced from them.

Eric

2. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought Q1's. Anyway, these are probably out of my price range. How much are they?

Chip

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I thought that I would add my tuppence worth as it was my home that Uncle Eric installed them in. I broke all of the speaker buying rules as I had never heard them before committing my hard earned wages but had heard Eric's M&K big brothers and trusted his judgement.

Moving up from the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema range, these were a revelation and sound far better than their small size would have you believe. Imaging is also an improvement and is nigh on perfect even though I have the left speaker two feet from the TV and the right speaker about seven feet away.

I spent a couple of days listening without a subwoofer with an amazed grin on my face and committed what I believe to be a cardinal sin of listening to a TV program instead of watching it.

A couple of days later I added a REL Storm to the set up and that was the icing on the cake. Music sounds so much better than before (via Marantz 6200) and the depth charging scene from U571 carries scale and authority that I haven't heard before, outside Eric's setup which costs way way more than mine.

The dip in lower midband / upper bass that I had before has now disappeared and there is a smooth frequency range from top to bottom.

I have been a serial AV buyer, changing things around every few months but now I have reached the pinnacle of what can be achieved in my home on my budget so will stop buying.

Having said that, I would like a subwoofer that takes up less space than a Storm and when the prices of Plasma reach sensible levels I will have me one of them but for now, I am happy

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seven,
    I've sent you a Private Message with my contact details.

Eric

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,567
    Eric, Ian,

I feel that i too will be commiting a cardinal sin, But on what has been writen here is believe I can take the chance on these, as I am with the Velodyne CHT15(Eric any delivery time yet?)

What would you recommend as rears?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not being as much of a purist as some I use Mission M7DS bipole speakers as rears.

Our seating position is in a small bay and we are close to the side and rear walls so speakers that are almost flat to the wall ma.ke it look less like a demo room.

It's not ideal and I suppose that at some stage I will buy something from the M&K range to complete the setup.