Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

M&K Plus Pioneer - Best For Movies?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by uncleg, Jun 8, 2005.

1. uncleg

uncleg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

I have been on this site for a while and have read countless magazines, but still have no clue!! :confused:

I want a system that is the best for movies - 98% will be for watching DVD's!

After reading the threads and magazines I have come up with:

Pioneer - 868
    Pioneer - AXa5i
    M&K - 3 k17, 2 k4 and the sub prob k10 (don't think I need anything else?)

The room is not that big, so NO floorstanders OR Wall brackets (room just been decorated)

My question is that, is the above the "best", ie want to feel like I'm in the cinema! and I am assuming the amp and speakers compliment each other etc!!

Budget for the lot is approx £3k.

:lease: help I'm going mad!!

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    There is really no such thing as "the best" as so much is subjective. Many people will rule out the M&K speakers as they feel that they aren't musical enough but if your usage is 98% films that doesn't come into the reckoning.

As you can see from my sig I am an M&K fan as I love their clarity and dynamic sound in films and I don't think that you will go far wrong with the speakers you mentioned.

M&K are difficult loads to drive are not all amps are suitable or will bring out the best in them and I have heard some stories about certain Pioneer models not being suitable for difficult 4 ohm loads but I'm not sure which ones.

If you are happy with 5.1 and can live without Pro Logic 2 I would suggest a second hand denon AVC10SE as I know from personal experience Denon and M&K go well together.

3. uncleg

uncleg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Ian,

I recall reading on earlier threads that some Denons also have problems with the m&k's (or Denon do not recommend this!) but having said this, there are some users who using the pair and I guess have no problem!

I will look at for the denon you mention, I am assuming that the 3805 would also not be a problem?

Thanks

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    For an amplifier of it's price, the power supply section of the 3805 is actually very weedy. When driving 5 speakers simultaneously the individual channel output can drop well below 50W. :)

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sold my M&K 851's to a mate and helped him set them up, he is useing a Denon 3805 and it sounded superb with no problems driveing them to loud levels.

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I'm getting rid of my Onkyo 898 THX EX 7.1 Receiver, which I used to drive the M&K K series which was to be honest quite remarkable, but I have upgraded to the M&K S-150's which it can still drive but because I listen at low volumes has proved not suitable, hence the sale.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass007 - what are you going to replace the Onkyo with to drive the M&K's?

8. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    well I may get my hands on a new Onkyo 989 THX Ultra 2 Reciever. I don't think it would be a world of difference but it should be slightly better, hopefully.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is THX Ultra 2 Certified then it should be a good match, you're old amp is only THX Select certified IIRC.

10. uncleg

uncleg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are happy with 5.1 and can live without Pro Logic 2 I would suggest a second hand denon AVC10SE as I know from personal experience Denon and M&K go well together.

Ian, I am happy with 5.1, and does pro logic 2 make much of a difference? I shall look out for the denon (AVC10se), and with this I am assuming a denon dvd instead of the pioneer?

Also, will the kx10 sub be fine with the k17 and k4? I see a lot of people like the SVS and rel subs!

Thanks

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Pro-Logic 2 makes one hell of a difference. Definitely get an amp with this feature. :)

12. uncleg

uncleg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pro-Logic 2 makes one hell of a difference. Definitely get an amp with this feature.

I told you I was a novice!! - thanks for the advice, are there any other core features I should be aware of?

Thanks

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uncleg - the kx10 will be a good match for any of the k series speakers but you will not get really low bass say below 30hz, but it certainly packs a good enough punch for it's size.

Cheers
    John

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905

It depends on what you watch as Pro Logic 2 is mainly for TV programmes. Given the choice between slightly better surround steering on East Enders or the extra overall increase in quality from using this amp that I would go for the latter every time. In fact I did sell my more modern Pro Logic2 amp to buy this older but far more effective amp and have never regretted it.

I haven't heard the KX10 sub but magazine reviews are quite positive even though I doubt whether it's in the same league as an SVS as the latter is so much bigger and subwoofery is all about shifting air.