1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m&k & pioneer package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mark bessant, Jun 1, 2005.

1. mark bessant

mark bessant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, i am new to this site, i only found it my mistake.
    im just about to invest heavely in a home cinema system(saying that i have already bought half of it) the system will consist of a pioneer pdp505 xde, a ax5i amp, a 868 dvd player and m&k k5 speakers. im looking at buying another pair of k4 tripole speakers to be my side speakers, yes you have guessed it 7.1 surround sound.
    do you think this set up would work? i am thinking of k5 to be the front pair, k7 to be the centre speaker, k 10 to be the sub, 1 pair of k4 to be the rear and the other pair of k4 to be the side speakers.
    i am going to run the speaker cable in cord rumour 2 cable, also the speakers are coming from america, i have been told that i have to change the fuse and the plug on the amp and change the voltage switch on the back of the unit. how dificult will it be to set this system up as it is all new to me.

cheers
    mark

2. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have 3 K17's at the front;K4 rears and a K10 sub. Superb in a smallish room for films, ok with music.

I personally think you would be better off having 3 K7's at the front; K4's side rear and your 2 K5's as centre rears for your 7.1. With the K7's at the front you could play around with your sub crossing over at 80HZ or 100 HZ until you find a sound that you are happy with. The K5's (because of their dinkiness) really must be crossed over at 100 HZ and not the usual 80HZ. The K5's and a 80 HZ crossover sounded weak to my ears.

The K17's are even better than the K7's if you can extend your budget that far. I have just had a small garage converted into a cinema and the M&K set up I have, is in my opinion, superb.I found crossing my K17's over at 100HZ gives dialogue a deeper,more cinematic sound. This would apply to 3 K7's at the front.

Good luck whatever you do

Megson

3. mark bessant

mark bessant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks megson for your help
    cheers mark