M&K original SS-150 (thx) missing Point Arrow Towards Screen help

Bekindrewind

Novice Member
Hello,

So many threads, I didn't find an Official M&K (not MK) thread? Please let me know where it is and I'll post there if I should.

POINT ARROW TOWARDS SCREEN stickers are gone.

Soon to join the M&K owners club. I'll be running the original versions of M&K.

I've learned they are 4ohm speakers and that what ever amplification used need to be 4ohm capable.
My current focus is learning about the SS-150 surrounds. I'll be running two sets for a 7.2.4 setup.

How many versions of the original SS-150 speakers are there?

SS-150, SS-150thx, SS-150thxMkII, maybe more?
What are the differences? Non thx vs. thx vs. MkII ?

I believe the SS-150's are sold in pairs, and should have sequential serial numbers, which may relate to RL?
My understanding is they should have a sticker attached to the back that says "Point Arrow Towards Screen" as in RL speakers.
My understanding is the arrow side driver facing the screen is in phase with the front driver.

Interesting that these speaker cabinets only had a sticker (that can come off) that indicates point arrow towards screen, I guess like RL.
When a pair of used (non sequential #'s) or single speaker is being sold and there's no arrow label, one has to be able to figure out what that speaker(s) are.
How do you do that?

Thank you in advance.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Use a battery to pop them, one will move in the opposite direction of the others, that's the one out of phase.

Bekindrewind

Novice Member
Use a battery to pop them, one will move in the opposite direction of the others, that's the one out of phase.

I read, in Tripole mode, connect a wire to the + of a AA battery, attach that wire the top red speaker post. Connect a wire to the - of the AA, touch that wire to the top neg speaker post.

I clearly see the direction the 5 1/4" center speaker moves, but both of the side speakers are so small you can't see them move, nor can you tell which way they are moving when you put your finger on them.

Have you done this yourself (what battery did you use) and you could see the direction of side drivers moving? Need to see which one is in phase with the front.

Look forward to your reply.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
I read, in Tripol mode, connect a wire to the + of a AA battery, attach that wire the top red speaker post. Connect a wire to the - of the AA, touch that wire to the top neg speaker post.

I clearly see the direction the 5 1/4" center speaker moves, but both of the side speakers are so small you can't see them move, nor can you tell which way they are moving when you put your finger on them.

Have you done this yourself (what battery did you use) and you could see the direction of side drivers moving? Need to see which one is in phase with the front.

Look forward to your reply.
Thank you.

I just use a AA battery to ring speakers out. I wasn't familiar with the driver size.

This is what the designer had to say from another post.

If you want to figure out where the arrow should go, hook a 1.5 volt (D, C, AA size) battery to the input of the SS-150 with the + of the battery going to the + of the SS-150. Remove the side driver grilles. Connect and disconnect the battery. One of the side drivers should move forward away from the cabinet and the other driver should move inward, toward the cabinet. The driver that moves outward is the side that gets the arrow and that forward moving driver should point toward the front screen or TV. The other SS-150 should be the mirror image of the other SS-150 so that when you mount it on the opposite wall, its forward moving side driver should be pointing toward the front screen or TV'

Bekindrewind

Novice Member
Yes, that's the post I read. I paraphrased what Ken said.
You wrote, "I just use a AA battery to ring speakers out."
What does ring speakers out mean?
Anyway, if you try it on the SS-150 and you can see it move, let me know what battery you used or what you did to see the side speakers (3 1/2") move.
I even tried 2AA batteries taped together. No difference.
I couldn't see the side speaker move at all. Oh well.

Last edited:

Bekindrewind

Novice Member
Hello,
What's the difference between:
SS-150 and SS-150thx?

Different drivers, efficiency, crossover as examples?
If the answer is thx certified, what does that mean? Thx will play louder, more accurately, etc?
Thank you.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Yes, that's the post I read. I paraphrased what Ken said.
You wrote, "I just use a AA battery to ring speakers out."
What does ring speakers out mean?
Anyway, if you try it on the SS-150 and you can see it move, let me know what battery you used or what you did to see the side speakers (3 1/2") move.
I even tried 2AA batteries taped together. No difference.
I couldn't see the side speaker move at all. Oh well.

Ring them out usually means to identify a driver or a speaker, if you have a bunch of cables and not sure what they're connected to. And it can also as you can see check for phase in drive units.

There are several forms of THX spec and they're usually to do with how well they can perform in certain sized rooms.

Bekindrewind

Novice Member
Thx Rock.
Ring out to check for phase in a drive unit. I'll assume the driver needs to be big enough to see the driver move. I can't see the 3 1/2" drivers move. I really need to figure out which speaker is LR.

Can you be more specific to this actual speaker; what change/modification was made from the SS-150 to SS-150thx. They must have made some change in order to certify the label thx. (Example, I think the SS-150thx to SS-150thxMkII was a tweeter change.)

I'll assume because these speakers have been out of production for so long and, this M&K site doesn't have nearly as much eyeball as years ago. So I'm thankful for whom ever replies to my questions. Thx Rock.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Thx Rock.
Ring out to check for phase in a drive unit. I'll assume the driver needs to be big enough to see the driver move. I can't see the 3 1/2" drivers move. I really need to figure out which speaker is LR.

Can you be more specific to this actual speaker; what change/modification was made from the SS-150 to SS-150thx. They must have made some change in order to certify the label thx. (Example, I think the SS-150thx to SS-150thxMkII was a tweeter change.)

I'll assume because these speakers have been out of production for so long and, this M&K site doesn't have nearly as much eyeball as years ago. So I'm thankful for whom ever replies to my questions. Thx Rock.

Really? I'd be sure I could see a 3.5'' drive unit move - the guy that designed them seemed to think so and I'm pretty sure he's been asked more than once, but if you say you can't you cant. Unless there's a way to open it and see if it's purposely wired out of phase? Or a polarity tester app?

Can't really give you a history lesson on the SS series of old changes, except after the mark ii they became MK Sound, essentially a mark III ST150 and now the ST150 mark IV using the M&K branding again.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Hello,

So many threads, I didn't find an Official M&K (not MK) thread? Please let me know where it is and I'll post there if I should.

POINT ARROW TOWARDS SCREEN stickers are gone.

Soon to join the M&K owners club. I'll be running the original versions of M&K.

I believe the SS-150's are sold in pairs, and should have sequential serial numbers, which may relate to RL?
My understanding is they should have a sticker attached to the back that says "Point Arrow Towards Screen" as in RL speakers.
My understanding is the arrow side driver facing the screen is in phase with the front driver.

Thank you in advance.
Don't know if this will help you my serial number of left side is ***572 right number is ***573, lets hope the serial numbers are the key but i doubt it, but if you still have THX logo on the front grill's the right speakers has the logo on the left side & the left speaker has the logo on the right best of luck.

There are also a number of apps/downloads that could assist
Examples:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom