1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K or REL

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rigman, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have a set of M&K S-150 fronts with SS-150 sides and SW85 rears. I am currently using a REL storm subwoofer which seems quite adequate. I know that the same make is critical for voice matching especially on the fronts but does this also apply to subs.

Basically in your opinion would I there be much of a difference changing the REL to a M&K subwoofer with THX spec?

thanks

Darren

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,554
    Couple of points.
    First, the make of subwoofer is irrelevant when it comes to 'matching' speakers. Provided it's a good make, of course.
    Second - and this applies to most speakers and subs, I expect - the lack of a THX badge does not mean the product is inferior to one with a THX badge. Infact considering that the cost of putting a THX badge on your gear is so astronoically expensive that it is likely that the price of a product will have been increased to compensate. Having a THX badge on a sub means it has to be able to do several things. Like (and I'm guessing here) bypassing the crossover and having a crossover cut-off at 80Hz. This last feature being irrelevant if you have a home cinema processor or amp.
    Also there are very good reasons why a manufacturer would deliberately choose not to apply for THX certification to part or all of it's products. If a manufacturer produces products for use in hifi as well as home cinema (and this applies to most speaker and sub manufacturers), then having a THX badge would imply to the audiophiles that the gear is designed for home cinema. This would doubtless put off audiophiles from buying the products and so the THX badge would be a bad thing to have. And having it on part of your product range would imply to home cinema fans that the non-THX models are in some way inferior. So again, having the THX badge on part of your product range is a bad thing.
    I hope I've explained why manufacturers would not want THX certification of part or all of their product range and therefore that *not* having it by no means implies that the products are in some way inferior to THX branded products.

So in answer to your question - if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

3. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    REL, M&K and Velodyne are the only brands I'd consider when it comes to subs. I wouldn't worry about the THX spec. I would however not go for a sub with a driver less than 12" in diameter. I feel I need to push a lot of air in the action scenes of movies and my Velodyne CT-120 does the job very well. It has a nice tight bass too.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    REL does things with 10 inch devices that I would not believe possible, though I am in the 'big' camp with my Servo 15s, REL does seem to do a job better than they should with such small drivers.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,554
    The REL Studio III - arguably the best subwoofer in the world has two 9 inch drivers and the sub goes down to 9Hz.
    The bigger the driver diameter, the slower the sub.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Spectre, that is a fair answer to the question but it is not as simple as that is it. If it was then no one would ever upgrade. Why buy a lexicon and separate amp when you could get a Sony £400 all in one amp which will give you dolby digital and DTS - all you need.

I suppose I should have left out the THX bit and just asked Would there be any difference in changing to a M&K sub from my REL storm? I suppose you answered that in your first point.

The qustions are then if I had two grand to spend on a sub what should I be buying REL or M&K and what difference would there be from my storm. Is it just a lot more body slam and foundation shaking?

thanks for your input

Darren

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a Rel storm. I had a £2k sub budget, I listened to loads (Rel, Linn, Paradigm, M and K etc). I learned loads and bought two Paradigm Servo 15s. This is the first time ever I have spent less than my budget! Saved £1k which I blew somewhere, not quite sure where but it is now gone....:D

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Nick did you try another storm along with you existing one. If so what were your impressions? Did you get rid of the storm or do you still have it. If you are interested in selling it I may be interested in doing some experiments ;)

9. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been running two Rel Storms with the small 10" drivers in my HT system for several years. They work superbly together producing in my opinion a more coherent presence with the rest of my speakers than one Storm on its own.
    Dave

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A second Storm was the original plan but I couldn't get one. I still think this is the affordable way to go for your set up. However when I did the demos I found true bass and not what I thought bass was. They were different. The Servo 15 completely outclassed my loved Storm which now sits in the dining room, unused. I will think about your offer if I may, I still secretly hanker after that second Storm!

If you do a search under Servo15 you will find extensive postings under my name and SteveEx, both of us has REL as well. We have different experiences / rooms. Worth a look.

Re speed of large drive units, I think some good points have been made but that is why a servo feedback system is essential. With a servo system this speed thing isn't an issue. I can now go loud and low WITH LOW DISTORTION. This is what you need to be able to achieve at the end of the day.

I still find M and K expensive especially when you look at their USA prices but I do like their products. Again a search will find a great thread on this already.

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I coulden't agree more.
    Darren, you may know I have the same exact set-up. For sub duty, I started off with the M&K 150 sub.
    While this was ok, it certainly wasn't 'musical'. The only way to describe it was loose and wobbly. I had just bought a Rel Q100E to replace my aging Q50 in my living room system and had a go with that in the HT room. It sounds so much better. To smooth things out further and gain higher output at lower settings, I was lucky enough to find another Q100E just as they were discontinued. What a shame. I really do feel that the Q100E is a far better sub than the Q150. The sound in my room is now seamless and superb.
    When I get back to upgrade mode my plan is to add a pair of SVS subs to my set up. Rumble young man Rumble.

Eric

12. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Wow Nick I did a search and I cannot believe how news of the servo15 has passed me by. Probably too busy changing the other bits of my system. Will check them out as they seem to be what I am looking for (gut wrenching base). Let us know soon what you intend to do with your storm (I may end up selling mine soon) as that is still an option.
    Does anyone know if RS have any in stock and what the current price is?

cheers

Darren

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Strange looking beasts uncle eric. You will have to make sure that your family dont mistake them for litter bins :eek:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/2531description.htm

Do they have a distributor over here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.