1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K or Power

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bass007, Nov 3, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

MODS not sure where to post as it covers a few different areas

Well basically I need an upgrade, deciding on the M&K 850 Fronts LCR which would set me back 1500.00 or Rotel 1075 Power Amp 850.00 to use with an Onkyo 898 THX Reciever because in future I'd like a processor possibly Lexicon MC4.

Which would make the biggest difference (worthwhile improvement) M&K 850 or Rotel 1075?

If I go the M&K way should I consider saving up to get the 150 series?

Cheers

Current System: M&K K Series 2xK5 1XK7 2XK4 Tripoles, Onkyo 898THX Reciever.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As you already have a good amp I would reckon that upgrading the speakers would give you the biggest improvement in sound.

Despite the high prices the K range are deemed to be M&K's entry level budget range and you will find a big difference if you move up to their standard range.

Make sure that you listen first as some say that the 850 are a little too bright for their taste. If it were my money I would buy second hand S85's instead which you should be able to sell on later at little loss when you can afford the 150's

If you wish to keep the costs down you could always retain the K4 rears as they are a pretty good match for the more expensive M&K fronts.

3. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi,

Ian J, I have heard the 150 fronts, but not the 850 I don't find any of the M&K's bright, I will be keeping the K4 Tripoles I think they are great. I will arange a demo for the 850's soon just wondering what kind of leap forward the 150's are for the 850's has anyone upgraded from these?

One last question does either or the 850's or 150's come with similar brackets to the K series which lets you fit them flush to the wall or would I have to splash on on brackets?

Cheers

4. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Ian,

What about the M&K LCR750 THX (MK 2 now!) ?

Or maybe SW85 (inwall S85) with a custom built cabinets!? M&K tech-supp said it should work fine!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The 750 slots into the M&K food chain as the entry level speaker to the normal range and is therefore above the K range in the pecking order.

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    when was the last time M&k revised there 150 range?

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    Some time ago I guess - but I would not worry about that. The S150 speakers are probably still as good as it gets wrt home cinema (look at the cinema labs who use them - although they often use the powered version, which I have not heard). M and K are the undisputed leaders in sub sat systems and I have had many speakers incl mission, b and w, and now swear by M and K. IanJ's advice is good - seek out quality second hand pairs eg S85's, 125's, 150's) and you will have a system that will last years (if you can handle the rather austere finish)
    I have the SS150 rears, and must admit I find rear speakers very difficult to demo - it seems to me they have to be listened to in the system they are in over a long period. But are they small enough to be used in a reasonable room - yes. Do they provide a diffuse soundfield - yes! But remember they are best used at the sides of listeners (or slightly behind), and not on the back wall)
    Phil

8. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    Oh, and the only other thing I would add is that as your receiver will drive most any M and K's try and buy a really good second hand pair. I went down a similar route to you (originally had a Yam AX1 driving S85's), and found that the speakers will keep on sounding better with improved amplification. So S85s will sound great with your Onyo, but will be able to handle amp improvements easily. You also don't say what sub you have. I had a Rel Storm 3, and find that the M and K sub I now have integrates better with the same make speakers (although the Storm was great with the B and W's I used to have).
    And finally, I used to have S85's. I demoed these vs the M and K 750 series, and the S85'S were way better (bought them new). When I 'upgraded' to the S125's there was very little improvement, to be honest. I truly believe the S85's to be the best speakers I have ever bought, and suspect there is probably a bigger difference from the 850's you are considering and the 85's, than from the 85's to the 150's.
    Phil

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass007 i can vouch for the 850's are not at all bright and personally i think they are stunning sounding speakers so much detail and dynamics i am so pleased i bought them i have been toying on the idea of changeing the fronts to the S-150's and i was reading on a US website that M&K sound engineers said that the 850's sound very similar to the S-150's as they share the same drive units and crossovers so i may hold back on buying the S 150's because the drive units have fully run in now and they sound superb and money can be spent elsewhere say my Hi Fi :D

BTW : I would get a demo and decide for yourself what is best!

John

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Rags upgraded from these to the S150's but one important factor would be the amplification driveing the speakers as this will make or break ref to the quality of sound when compareing the 850 / 150's so be careful as i think the difference in sound quality would also depend on this alot.

Just my opinion.

John

11. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    As per what recuit says - I would really look to the long term here. You have good kit - don't whatever you do buy speakers 'to make do' and then want to upgrade in 2 yrs time! (we - I? - have all made that mistake!). Any good M and K speakers will see you through a whole load of amp changes. I have spent a whole load of dosh on ludicrous upgrades - please do not follow me!!! Buy the best possible front speakers you can (as I think your amp will drive all of them unless you go bananas and buy ribbons or something!).
    Then upgrade your amp/processor section when funds allow. Then the rears. I am 100% convinced that in a couple of years you will have a system that will be approaching state of the art if you follow this course. Always look on the classifieds here - there are so many good honest guys selling great kit (and not just me lol!) you will pick up a bargain if you give it time. M and K's come up quite often for some strange reason - if I were you I would snap up any 85's, 125's, S150's. If you don't, I might!! Also, I would keep on the lookout for quality power amps. You sometimes see Parasound, Rotels, even Bryston here. If you want something particular, put a wanted ad on the classifieds. That's how I got my front and rears...
    Sorry to go on - I have been on holiday today, had a few beers, but am so keen on the second hand route that I think you should not reject this - my audio system is 100% second hand or ex demo. All looks as new and if I want to sell on I will only lose 10%...
    And there ends the drunken lesson...
    Phil

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well said Phil go and have another Drink :laugh:

John :)

13. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    Have just checked on the classifieds and Cyrus the Virus is selling S125 fronts and SS150 rears for £1875. Up to you, but this is a stonking system (same as mine!!), and you will be talking silly money to better it.

14. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    burrrrp

15. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I have L,C,R configuration S150's currently for sale for £1550 ono. They are 12 months old, in black and sound awesome. I'm only selling them to get a deposit together for a flat! :(

You won't find better (or cheaper! ;) )

Oh, and to make sure I don't get in trouble with the mods, if you wanted them I would post an ad in the classifieds :)

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Madders don't sell them just get a bigger Mortgage :D they are excellent speakers :)

John

17. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    And what will you be replacing them with??

18. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    For the moment Philly112, I'm just using 2 channel (I have already sold my SS150's and Velo HGS15!) with a pair of ATC SCM12's :suicide:

19. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    wow what an overwhelming response great!!! thanks guys I will probably go for the 150's just might have to wait till xmas, and convince the other half .

Thank you for all you replies, but I need to know if the 150's come with any brackets like the K series where you can fix them flush to the wall? Will I need to but brackets separatley?

20. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You would need to buy the brackets separately. At the price I'm looking for my S-150's, Christmas may have come early ;) I really am looking to sell these ASAP, so if you are looking to get a set make me an offer....... :)

21. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'll keep you mind, I'm guessing the barackets cost about 150.00 each with both verticle and horizontal tilt

22. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think the price of the M&K brackets is OTT. I just have them on Atacama stands with Auralex Mopads to decouple them from the stands - they also have the facility of angling the speakers. Seems to work great.

23. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If your budget allows, go for the S150's. They are a substantial improvement over the 850's presenting a bigger and more accurate soundstage. The S150's from recollection were revised a few months ago - I think the tweeters were moved from the inside of the speakers to the outside (or vice versa I cant remember which).

To save money and if your up for getting brand new ones think about importing - the $ is weak and you can save about 25% quite comfortably.

24. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The S150'S are excellent but on wall brackets (talking serious wall brackets) and where are you going to put the center as its same size as fronts,
    Look for some S85's until you can pusuade missus to let you use stands.
    MADDERS- When am i getting my demo HTPC, i was thinking of your fronts but then would have to sell my s125 with your s150 center as i would have no place to fit center and would keep s125c. :rolleyes:

25. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    Looking at the M and K site, the new tweeter arrangement is on the inside.
    So they obviously missed that difficult to determine arrangement in the initial development all those years ago... :oops:

Phil

26. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  27. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Cyrus - I thought you were selling all your S-125's including your centre? The S-150 doesn't take up much more real estate...honest! ;)

You can demo the HTPC the same time as you demo the speakers :D ;)

Cheers,

Steve

28. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Cirusvirus, I have to put them on the wall because I have my hifi system also in the same room not only will it look strange, but there is no room, so I will have to go for the brackets.

29. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Speakers now on Ebay :)