M&K or not M&K 150 or 150P ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dbellamy, Jun 11, 2002.

1. dbellamy

dbellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a setup of:

Denon AVC-A1 amp
    Main and Centre M&K S85
    Rears SS150THX

During a particularly loud session of The Fast and the Furious. My amp cut out and when I truned it back on again my S85 centre had blown !!

1) Can anyone tell me why this had happened
    2) Will buying a better speaker give me a better chance of avoiding this happening again.

I am thinking of going up to the S150 s at the front (one at a time as I am not rich just Home Cinema crazy).

So I need help. What is the major difference between the S150 or the S150P. And is it worth me paying the xtra or just buying the S150 and a seperate power amp.

Also worth noting beofre you answer is that i will only be replacing my centre at this point and then the other satellites when finances allow. Will this cause me any matching problems?

I know I'm a waffler but please help !

Darren.:rolleyes:

2. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive also had this:

Using a Yamaha DSP-A1 and Episode 1 I had the following speakers blow their tweeters during the podrace sequence:

B&W CDM7 Left Main
    Kef 34ds Left Rear Surround
    B&W CDM Centre

Seeing as the speakers rate well above the Amp I am a bit annoyed that this has happened- plus I am reluctant to take them back to the dealer at once. This being unsure as to what the attitude to 3 different speakers blowing at once would be (Dealer being Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Greys Inn Road).

All are under warranty and are only about 18 months old- I have live with this for a few months until I saw Darrens post.

Am quite prepared to pay for parts if my warranty doesnt cover this- any advice?

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,315
    The S85´s match will match the 150´s pretty well. 150P is the powered version, though not sure which would give you better performance a powered 150 or the normal 150 with a decent poweramp, I suppose it would depend on the quality of the poweramp.

Upgrading the centre speaker is a logical step forward so I dont see any problems arising.

You need resident M&K expert Uncle Eric on this really, I´m sure he´ll offer his advice on whats best to do.:)

4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I blew the tweeter on my centre, KEF 95C, in the podrace sequence also :eek: . Gave me the opportunity to upgrade it to the KEF Ref 100 :D

Steve