1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K or Genies or ??? for AX5i

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by uncleg, Nov 18, 2004.

1. uncleg

uncleg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am a newbie to the home cinema world but I have been reading this site for some time.

I have decided to enter the field and I am somewhat confused. :confused:

I am planning to buy the Pioneer 868 and the AX5i, but I am not sure on the speaker/sub set up!!

The system will be 90% movies and from reading this forum M&K seem to be favourite.

I went to Sevenoakes and all the guy kept ranging on about was the Xenon range. When I asked about the k series (recomemmeded by a majority on this site) he dismissed them and went on about the Xenon range.

After annoying me I left!!

But now I see that the MS Genies are also a good buy. Hence the confusion.

So help is needed PLEASE!! - movies is priority and suitable ones for the amp and dvd I have chosen.

Room is small so columns etc are out as are wall brackets - will have to be stands. :lease:

Price can vary if the produce is the best!!

Thanks

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Uncleg,
    The Xenon range are quite expensive but are very good but so are the K series of speakers.
    The Genies have had rave reviews and i think Tons_of_Fun would be the best person to comment on that range, also they are quite alot less than the M&K's but it is all down to preference and your wallet.
    Can you demo both the K & Xenon range of speakers as i would suggest doing that atleast to see which you prefer.
    Personally i would say the M&K's would be better than the Genies but by how much i would not know?

John

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    I would hope the M&K packs are better than Genie as they cost quite a bit more! Genie is (IMHO ;)) a good sounding and pretty musical setup to boot. For about a grand for 7 channels it really is worth a listen but I would see it giving ground to the more expensive (and ugly :p) M&K's.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ugly Nah, Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder :D

John :p

5. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recruit,

How do the tripole M&K's do for 5.1 music? do they enhance or confuse the sound?

I'm looking at the K5's or the K15's, both come with the tripole K4's for my AX5i & 868avi setup.

Matt

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

I have not heard the K4's but from peoples views on this forum they are very good, i myself have the CS29's which are columns and to me they sound excellent with both Movies and Music, i have had normal speakers as rears but i tend to prefer the sound with tripoles it gives a more ambient effect IMO which i like for 5.1 Music, with movies the tripoles excell :smashin:

John

7. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks John,

With traditional 5/6.1 set ups these days the rears are almost "sides", how do you position tripoles?

Cheers

Matt

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt my tripoles are positioned at the sides of my seating pos but i have 2 K15's at the rear and find this rearly works well, most of the time i do not use the 2 rear's and just have 5.1 rather than 7.1 running.

John

9. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

When you say at the sides, do you mean with the main speaker pointing towards the front, tilted @ 45 d or facing you?

Apologies for this

Matt

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt the column surrounds are slightly different to the K4's here is a link but when you can see them they are at the sides up against the wall fireing upwards and to the sides...

www.mksound.com/surround_speakers.php

John

11. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks John

Matt :smashin: