M&K or Genelec

A

AHal42631

Hello,

I am attempting to decide between two speaker brands for a dedicated home theater room. The room is 25 X 16 X 9 feet. I am interested in either a M&K setup with three S300 across the front and four S300T tripole surround speakers on the sides and in the rear. For the subwoofer I would have two of the M&K X12 subwoofers.

The second option is the Genelec system with three HT315 across the front and two in the back. For the subwoofer I am interested in the HTS6.

Genelec dealers are not located where I live, but if worth it I could visit a dealer during a business trip, but the chances of them having these items on display may be low.

Please let me know your thoughts especially if you have direct experience with either of these systems.

Please do not consider price.

Hello,

I have not yet made a choice. This is a long-term project, but I want to make a decision on the equipment so I can have a number for what I am going to send on audio and video. I am surprised I have not received any comments. I thought this forum would have input on the Genelec speakers.

I think it would be best the go and post directly onto each M&k speaker thread and Genelec speaker thread and voice what your plans are!!

Or at at least you could post a link on each to your post on this thread;) which ever way you do it I'm pretty sure you will get a much better response............... Just out of interest! what is your speakers / sub budget for this project , as I feel that someone's missing a trick here:rolleyes:

Goog luck!!

Don't get too caught up with getting the subwoofer(s) and speakers from the same manufacturer, there really is no need and limits your choices far too much. That's a big old room you've got there and you're going to need a lot of displacement in your subs to shift enough air to pressurise the space. Demos and preferably home demos are by far your best strategy.

FWIW I run 3x Genelec 8050s in my dedicated room and they really are special. But I sit probably half the distance from them than you will be in your room so my opinion really isn't relevant really.

If you're adamant on buying without auditioning then the two speakers you mentioned would both be top of my list. I've heard the MK S300 in a similar sized room to what you have at Gecko Home cinema and they were seriously impressive. It was difficult to fully critique them as the room had way too much bass for my liking when I heard them but at 3/4 room seating distance you could still tell they were very good speakers. Also look at Steinway-Lyngdorf setups if you budget stretches to that as they were a big step up in sound quality to me from the S300.

Like I said subwoofer wise don't just buy the same manufacturer because you think they will match better, that's generally not always true. You really need to match subwoofer output to room size. I currently run 4x 15" subwoofers in all 4 corners of my room and the benefits are impressive if you can spend some time and knowledge setting them up. I would look at that as a minimum in your size of room in my opinion. For manufacturers I'd look at PSA, Arendal, XTZ, SVS, MK etc.....like mojo said head onto their respective threads and ask some questions as the guys from the companies give some great advice at times (or all the time with regard to Tom @ PSA !!)

Hope that helps in some way!

Sim

I have been playing with Genelecs (from my studio) as an alternative to my XTZs (so far without conclusion).

I suspect the Genelecs will be better for music than the MKs - though others may disagree.

The Genelec product choice guide is quite good on what speakers for what size rooms but the HT315s are mega speakers. A lot of money - though of course, amps come for free!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom