1. We have a team of over 50 moderators working to keep our community safe.Welcome to AVForums.
    Helping with Audio Visual home entertainment since 2000.
    Get help finding the right AV products at the right prices. Get help setting up your AV equipment so you get the most out of it.
    Membership is free. Competitions are free. Classifieds are free. Join now.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&k Mx-70b

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SpiderManPants, Feb 10, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I've just won an M&K MX-70B at auction on Ebay.
    I have never heard one of these subs in action, so I bought it blind, apart from reading a couple of favourable reviews. I was wondering if anyone has any experience and/or information on these?

I will be running it with a Denon 3801 and 4 B&W 601 S3's.

My room size is 16' x 11'.

Also, if there is anyone with experience of both this model and the Kef TDM 45B, I would love to hear your thoughts as to how they compare.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

SMP

2. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The MX70B is a cracking little sub. The MX are M&K’s finest and use two drivers in a push-pull configuration – the MX70B is, I believe the cheapest at around a grand. It has a very small footprint - it is taller than it is wide or deep and, considering it only uses 8” drivers it’s low frequency response of 27Hz +/-2dB (M&K use realistic figures unlike some) is very impressive. Okay so some subs go deeper than this but the M&K gives you a high quality performance for music and movies and takes up very little space.

More info on the MX70B here: http://www.mksound.com/mx70b.html

The KEF TDM45B is a monster – 15”, 400 watt amp. It’s a THX sub and, I would say that it is more suited to movies than music – deep rumbling bass is more of it’s thing rather than ultimate accuracy, especially in the 40Hz and above range.

Out of the two, in a movie only system I would consider the KEF but for music and movies I’d go for the M&K and sacrifice a little extension for the sake of accuracy.

These are just my opinions though – others may disagree. Either way, you’ve bought yourself a fine sub.

Matt.

3. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Matt,

I can't wait to get my hands on it now. I will be using it for both Music and movies, and as you say, it has a very small footprint, which is just what I wanted!

And all for the bargain price of £360!!!

There's hardly any info about it anywhere online though, apart from M&K's site and Audioreview. - strange...

4. dejongj

dejongj Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats, you beat me to it! I didn't want to pay too much for an unknown product but it sounds that you have bought a cracking little sub.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

5. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jean-Paul,

It was kind of blind, but M&K are hardly 'unknown'. I had read some positive reviews and it looked like a steal at the price, esp. since the list price is £1050 and you know what trying to get a discount on M&K stuff is like!

Plus it is very small, which was a must for me, having previously owned a Kef TDM 45B (15" Driver in huge black box!!) which nearly led to divorce!

SMP

6. common

common Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah you got a good deal there !

;)

see you sunday

Shane

7. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL,

It's such a small world with all this t'internet stuff...

See you Sunday Shane

SMP

8. Ian J

Ian J Banned

Ratings:
    +4,904
    Smaller than you might imagine if that is the one that my cousin Chip J sold ;)