1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K MX-350 MKII THX Ultra Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by recruit, Sep 12, 2004.

1. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right i just wanted to post this as i had a dem of the above sub yesterday.

Now this sub maybe an old design but it was absolutlety awsome :cool:
    the Depth and power of this sub is notheing short of breathtakeing, it literally scared the hell out of me everything you put thru it, it thru it back at you and wanted more it didn't even feel like it was trying.

Films had tremendous slam and punch with no overhang or decay the speed of it was tremendous,Titan AE one of my favourite films just took on a new meaning, the Ice scene where all the ice is crashing into each other sounded superb it just seemed to be moveing the room with each crash :D
    I tried the Star Wars films 1 & 2, the pod race in 1 was just bringing a huge smile to my face and in Attack of the clones the scene Yoda's Cavalry the expolsions took on a new meaning :devil:

I then listened to music and was not dissapointed again this sub is quick and music is treated with upmost respect and did justice to the tracks that i was listening too, One of my favourite Music DVD's at the moment is the new INXS Greatest hit's and this sounded simply stunning :D :D

I must say for a sub that has been round for quite a few years now it is worth every penny of £2000, i just could not leave without it so i bought it,
    I thought i would of had more control than that but temptation gave in :D

I was playing around with it all last night and to be honest it is now soundeing even better than it was in the shop, i hope ,my ramblings has not bored everyone but it has got me that excited that i had too put this post in.
    I know that the sub isn't even run in yet so it will just get better :smashin:

I have loved the M&K Speakers that i have the 851's but now that love for M&K just gone up a few more notches :D :D

John :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Anyone who went to the Bristol Show this year will remember this sub as part of the top of the range M&K equipment playing "Drumline" to such great effect.

Many of us went straight out and bought the DVD but recruit has gone one better :D

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

It is a Beautiful bit of kit and i have even got a thumbs up from the other half which is usually very difficult :smashin:
    So i am very pleased now.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Never heard it myself but just read the specs on M&K website and it sounds like an awesome beast !

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rags,

It is very very good and i thought i could control myself more but no, it did do justice to spending £2000. ;)
    I am still up for that demo though and likewise you are more than welcome to come round and hear the M&K in action and do a comparsion

P.S your chart results from the BFD look good :cool:

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Yup would definately fancy a demo. The 850 demo is definately happening this Saturday if thats ok - CSE have promised to return my C2 by Tuesday/Wednesday. Ill give you a call to sort out timings etc.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great no problem :smashin:

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    errrr - one question - what are you going to do with three subs ? :laugh:

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know bit greedy 1 will have to go :laugh: :laugh:
    But that would be interesting running the 2 M&K's at the front and the SVS at the back :eek:
    I will be on neighbour's from hell :laugh:

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Good review John. I have never heard the 350 myself but everyone who has states the same as you. How do you feel it compares to your SVS in the same room with regards to performance vs price.

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi THX,

Personally the SVS does sound very good for the price, but when you hear the M&K it is in a different class. ;)
    I keep on trying different dvd's and i have alot and they all sound brilliant, i am now running the mx350 on it's own and have disconnected the SVS, the bass is just so well defined, no matter what i put thru it and how loud it just keeps supriseing me :D
    I Think now i am content and glad to say i have found what i am looking for! :cool:

12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well done John. The 350 was hooked up to my S-85's for a while when I waited for my other subwoofer to arrive. It ain't subtle to look at, but the performance is truly outstanding. Glad you are happy mate.

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Stu - I assume you preferred the DD15 over the M&K 350. Good to see how peoples tastes vary - Recruit obviously preferred the M&K over the Velo DD series he demod. I preferred the ASW 850 but I havent listened to the M&K. Three outstanding subs either way.

Recruit is down my way hopefully next week - it will be good to hear his thoughts comparing the two.

14. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Rags - To be honest I haven't heard the 350 for a few years and didn't even consider it as an option to what I am looking for. Unfortunately, I had to look for the best performance I could get from a modern smallish cabinet, and the 350 in those situations would not even be a consideration. The DD-15 in my opinion has got the same clean (almost dry) tone of an M&K sub which I love very much. I have ran M&K for years and for me the DD-15 was an easy choice to make with the performance I wanted from the cabinet I wanted too.

I am watching with interest to see how you are getting on with your EQ'ing and it looks to be taking shape nicely. I haven't a clue how I will get on with the DD-15 EQ but I will let you know :)

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stu,

Thanks mate, i am very pleased with it :D
    I think that is quite compact for what it does and don't forget i have had an SVS in my room which is quite alot bigger so anything else is tiny compared to that :laugh:

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    The M&K is not the best looker thats for sure. Its a pain that M&K dont do their high end stuff in wood finishes.

The BFD is a real nightmare to use - its taken me a heck of a long time to set it up. If the DD does the same thing but in an easier way it going to be very beneficial !

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu,

Have you got your DD15 yet? and how is it?

18. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    John

Haven't got the DD-15 yet, but I know for certain that it arrives at my door this week. Hopefully the beginning of the week too as I was expecting it last week.

I have certainly been patient for this as my DD order was placed nearly 2 months ago now, although I did change my mind from the DD-12 to the 15, thinking I might regret not getting the beast.

Rags - I am hoping that the EQ facility does do the trickand by all accounts it does, so I shall wait and see. I will only be able to lightly test it at a mates house this week as I move house in 2 weeks and that's when everything gets set up. The PW6 I have had for a few months gets unboxed as well as everything else.

My mate is in the market for a new sub, and I wonder what he will think if the DD-15. He likes REL (the fool !!) and he won't get anywhere near the performance of the DD-15/ASW850/or MX350 sub unless he goes for one of the big RELS and his budget won't strech to anything like that anyway.

I have told him how I thought the 800 (12" version of what rags is running) was a superlative 12" sub and he just might stretch to £1600 !!

And he can't go SVS for the reasons I can't. We need something that we can live with day by day in the living space and an SVS doesn't do that for me (doesn't make them bad...I reiterate !! )

19. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    2 months is a ridiculous wait ! Apart from the chage of order whats the delay about ?

The EQ feature on the DD does work according to all the reviews I have read - probably one of its biggest selling points and the only sub out there to do it so comprehensively.

20. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    You have probably got a similar grin on your face to the one I had when I received my REL Stentor 3 about 2 weeks ago.

21. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "But that would be interesting running the 2 M&K's at the front and the SVS at the back. I will be on neighbour's from hell."

You are right, couple of months ago my neighbour's wife came to complain of their bed shaking after 10pm, and the volume was not even that loud.

My setup has 2 MX350's (or rather their professional equivalent MPS-5410), and a Velo HGS-18. It is actually the Velo that really moves the ground, while MX350 are of a more subtle nature.

I agree with you about the quality of M&K gear, but cannot escape a feeling that it is over priced in the UK. I hope you managed to knock of a few pounds off from your dealer.

22. cuscus

cuscus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Having took posession of my 350, i feel kind of disappointed.

Not so much at the new sub, more at the point of having just splashed out a ton of bucks (the greedy man in me) on what i was thought was going to be a noticeable improvement on my 150THX version.

It hasn't been the case & er indoors in not well pleased to say the least.

Am i doing something wrong in set up or was the 150 version (which i advertised on here a week or so ago, in the classified section) really that close in performance terms ?

Don't get me wrong, this sub is fantastic, & definately my last purchase (in the sub department anyway).

On the plus side, i feel (my opinion only) the M&K are fantastic, i have owned a Rel Stentor 111 (which i thought was terrible), a Velodyne & a SVS, but when i bought my 150, i honestly thought that's it, iv'e now done spending.That was until i foolishly stepped into a demo room & heard the 350 rumbling along, i just had to have it.

As for setting it up, all toggles are switched to THX mode & volume set with my processor, so there's not a lot left to do.......is there ?

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cuscus,

That's a shame your not happy as i am, me and my girlfriend watched the Matrix Revolutions last night and all i can say is it is absolutley stunning and we both agreed on that :thumbsup:
    The only thing i can think of is that is quite a bit more powerful and maybe your room is exciting the response you are getting, do you use any kind of equalisation as i have been useing a BFD on all my subs and it has tamed the response to my likeing, also i don't know but i would of thought it was quite a major jump in performance compared to the M&K MX-150.
    I hope you get it sorted mate ;)

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Branx,

Yes i did get a little bit of a discount but not much but i do think it was worth it :cool:
    God you have 2 of them :eek: and a HGS 18 your place must rock literally :laugh:
    I am going to run the V851 this week with the MX 350 as i have just been running it on it's own so far it should be fun :D :D :D

25. cuscus

cuscus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for your reply John.

I'm not using any kind of equalization, my room is pretty small so perhaps i was maybe expecting too much. The 350 is only 400 quid more than the 150 anyway, so maybe it was just a case of impulse buying.

Unfortunately that now leaves me with my 150 to sell, unless i can somehow swing it to keep both :-o).

I'm gonna try another film today, perhaps something like Pearl Harbour & see if i can tweek it a bit more.

26. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I don't really know what the delay is. Surprisingly, Velodyne in the US ship subs across (ship being the operative word). They sit on a boat and travel to Denmark of all places which is the European hub and then to the UK. All in all it's a pretty long and slow process.

If your lucky to get one sitting at a dealer then you sre fine I suppose, but the maple DD15 are very rare.

Hopefully it will be here this week though.

27. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John,

Using 2 MX350 was almost a forced decission as I needed to create a pair of full range front speakers. I use M&K actives for L+R (as well as other channels) and they have pass-thru feature so that I was able to chain them with the MX350, i.e. HTPC L channel --> Lexicon MC-12B full bypass mode --> 1st M&K MPS-2510P --> 2nd M&K MPS-2510P --> M&K MPS-5410, and same for R channel.

Although, Lexicon MC-12B is notable piece of equipment I quality of the analogue output from my HTPC fed directly into the active speakers produces much improved 2-channel sound stage compared to passing SPDIF to Lex and than get Lex to do DAC.

In this mode Lex does not perform any bass management and there is no suitable software that I can use on the HTPC to do that.

Velodine is there to deal with .1 channel on Dolby Digital and DTS, but otherwise not used for music.

Another reason was that the professional version of M&K are selling at discount to the consumer range for the identical hardware and I was offered a nice deal to buy a complete set-up that was rented for three months to a studio finalising the 2nd Harry Potter movie.

28. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi branxx,

That sounds like a fantastic setup and i understand what you've done with the 2 mx-350's and just to round it off you are useing an 18" for .1 superb :thumbsup:

29. mattburk

mattburk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recruit, I just picked up a 350 too. How do you have the switches set up in back? Do you prefer to have them set to THX or do you set the levels yourself?

30. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mattburk,

I have been experimenting alot but i do think i now prefer the sound when everything is set to THX, i am getting a much smoother response below 80hz and it seems to have more impact when set this way :cool:
    How do you find the sub?