1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M+k K9

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adam M, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi all,

I have recently moved to a house with a bigger cinema room (reason I chose it of course).

In the process my little M and K K9 sounds a little drowned by the room.

In fact my Naim credo front cinema/ hifi speakers with monoblocks seem to be able to out bass the K9 by quite a margin now that they have been released into a big room.

Placement is never going to be ideal and is currently close to one of the back corners behind the listening position.

What I would like to know is, now that I have an AX10 with outputs for two subwoofers, should I buy another K9 to give me the volume of a larger set up but the speed of a small set up, combined with the fact that I am told two sub sources is far better than one, or should I sell it and buy one much larger sub as there is some space available.

I am not keen on spending 4 figures, and am happy to buy second hand. In which case I would appreciate recommendations regarding either route any chooses to advise on.

Thanks in advance.

adam

2. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I too am interested in this post as |I am using a K9 and will hopefully be moving to a house with a bigger room for my AV.

It would be nice to know that another K9 in tandem would be a good move cos I really like it's controlled output with music and I know it is not a gutsy sub by any means.....

Anyone?

Lennyz

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The M&K K9 subwoofer is neither particularly powerful nor does it particularly plumb the depths. Buying a second may help a little with the timing but it wouldn't give you any deeper bass which is why if it were my money I would buy something meatier.

4. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks guys.

Depth isn't really what I am after, I suppose its more spl.

but, assuming I could have both, the room is 16 by 14 with a lot of open spece, what would you recommend for sub £1000?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your requirements seem tailor made for a B&W ASW675 which is compact but contains a 500 watt amp that can drive it both loud and low with the musicality that one would expect from a hifi name.

There is one for sale in the classified forum at the moment

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Adam
    If it was my choice(my room is 16'x14')i would buy the svs 20-39 pc+,I had the B&Wasw675 prior to my svs it is a good small sub but for a little more money you could have really low loud bass from the svs, and it is as good with music as it is with movies.Size wise the svs takes up no more floor space than the B&W but it is tall.
    PS it will blow your socks off.:D
    Cheers Gonzo.

7. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an alternative try the MK VX100, small and not that low but v.fast bass. Two together work really well. Coming from MK you may find the BW a bit ponderous. Good but not MK good! Also the K10 is alot better and can work in tandem with a K11.

Monkey Mayhem!