1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K K7 versus AE Evo3......

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jonnycreb, Jan 10, 2003.

1. jonnycreb

jonnycreb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first thread on the forum so please treat me gently! I have to say that the quality of discussion on these pages is extremely interesting and fair and I have already picked up a great deal of knowledge and alternative product info after only a few short days perusing them.

OK, enough of the arse-licking.......! (only joking - being completely serious with the above!)

I am a converted audiophile and am wanting to upgrade to a cinema system. I have more or less decided on the Denon 2802 (auditioned against the Yamaha 630). I am aiming to demote my perfectly respectable Rega Alya speakers as my rears and want to purchase the front 3 speakers and potentially a sub.

Again, have narrowed the choice down to a couple of packages (thanks to a few hours in a Sevenoaks listening room - have found them very accommodating) and would appreciate the thoughts of you readers:

1. AE Evo 3 left and right, with M&K K7 as centre (AE centre will not fit under Sony WEGA cabinet, and K7 sounded better anyway)

2. 3 x M&K K7 for front, left and centre with K9 sub

The choice of K7s actually stems from the WAF rating, as she prefers the look in our lounge even though they will cost nearly twice as much - can't weigh them up sometimes.....

However, even I am trying to justify the M&Ks - they undoubtedly sound great, even with music, and would be an extravagance.

Thoughts please:

Cheaper Option: Assuming she likes the Evo 3s (in light maple!) would they have enough bass without a sub?

Indulgent Option: If I go with the M&Ks is there another (cheaper) sub that would suffice. I have to say that the K9 does sound really tight.

I suppose I am in the same predicament as most red blooded males with wives to consider - don't know whether to go with the head and opt for the more sensible option, and get a good pecking every day from the missus saying 'what are they doing in my front room', or sod it and get the credit card out and only live once......

Any thoughts or alternative options......?

Thanks for reading!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard either so can't comment but I think that you would be making a big mistake by having a different centre speaker to the front left and right.

As an audophile, just imagine if you had an Rega Alya on the left side and a B&W as the right hand speaker.

It wouldn't sound quite that bad but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from.

3. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Evo 3's are absolutely outstanding for the money - there's enough bass to shake even a large room big stylee. Don't mix the centre though, as Ian says.

The Evo centre is excellent, maybe it didn't sound as good as the M+K as it needs quite a bit of running in from my own experience. And plenty of space around it to let it perform at it's best.

Tell your wife that if she'll let you have the centre as well, you'll buy her a new coat....so she can go out in the cold if she doesn't like your speakers!!!:D

Seriously, all the Evo range are superb, (particularly the Evo 1's, superb sound for standmounters), i love them, and that was after demoing some Monitor Audio gear too!:eek:

Westy

4. coolposter

coolposter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jonny,

I'm running five M&K K-7s plus two M&K K-4s with a Velodyne CHT-15. To me, they definitely sound great with DVD movie and music.

If you use three K-7s as mains, and you are looking for a budget subwoofer. Why not give Velodyne CHT-10 a try?

Good Luck,
    CP