1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K K4 tripole rears - where to put them?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dak, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have a pair of M&K K4 tripole rears which will be doing the business through a Denin 3803 for my rears.

The room is 14x12 ft and the settee backs onto the wall looking down the 14ft bit at a pj (still to decide / buy this).

Question is are the tripole better on the back wall behind the sofa or on the side walls in front of the seating position.

I may well add more speakers for 6.1 in a year or so but not yet.

I have read lots of FAQ things, visited the Dolby and M&K site etc but am really after a hands on view from people who have actually installed / used these speakers over a period of time.

Thanks
    Dak

2. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dak

I have a 22' x 14' lounge and have positioned my sofa about a foot away from the back wall with the MK4's positioned to the sides but slightly behind my seating position about 6' high. I experimented with a number of different speaker positions but found this to be the best.

I felt to the sides of the listening position opened up the soundstage so much more. I found mounting the speakers to the sides but in front of the listening position produced the worse results.

At the end of the day, like so much with this audio/visual game its all down to personal taste so why not stand the speakers on say a tall CD rack unit or similiar and try them in different positions, that way you can decide for yourself.

DW

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you can bring your sofa forward by a foot or so and mount the speakers in line wiht your listening position.

The dipolar part of the speakers are designed so that you sit in the null phase part of the speakers output. This is directly out of the front face of the speakers.

Make sure you have your left and right speakers the right way around according to the arrows on the back.

When adding the 6/7.1 speakers later the speakers left and right bit should be reversed for the ones on the back wall (the rear surround as opposed to the side surrounds). I'm not sure why this is, but it sounds better.

4. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys.

I shall have to look up the difference between 'dipolar' and tripole to check my understanding!

DW, have you tried the K4's with SACD or DVD-A? I am wondering about getting the Denon 2900 DVD player that supports both these formats but am worried that having tripole rears designed for movies may leave me at a disadvantage?

Cheers
    Dak

5. dwillis

dwillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dak

Dipolar refers to speakers with drivers that are fired in two different directions and are in reverse phase causing a cancellation of sound waves in front of the speaker. This is usually done in rear speakers that are wall mounted. The front of the speaker is aimed at the listening area, which causes all of the sound to bounce off the walls before it is heard. This makes it almost impossible to determine where the speaker is, creating a true surround effect.

Unfortunately having purchased the Denon 2800MKII about 2 months before the 2900 came out, I haven't been able to test these speakers with SACD or DVD-A.

DW

6. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Try this, Tripoles 2m from the floor, as said earlier if possible inline with your head at either side, i have found that the K4 will give better results if you can keep it out of the corner by at least 12" or even better 18" "In phase" side pointing towards the screen.

If you decide to go for two surround back speakers, the "in phase" drivers should face each other at the back, so you would have, + towards the screen, - towards the back wall, + facing each other on the back channels.

This is the correct way to set up the surround array.

Have fun!!!

7. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Craig,

Thanks, reading between the lines, when you say 'If you decide to go for two surround back speakers.....' can I read this to mean that I could just go for one back speaker if I wished?

I was wondering about putting an ad on this site to see if anyone wants to split a pair of M&K column surrounds, ie go for one each, but was not sure how this would go sound wise with just one. (I have a Denon 3803 on order).

Thanks
    Dak

8. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Craig,

Thanks, reading between the lines, when you say 'If you decide to go for two surround back speakers.....' can I read this to mean that I could just go for one back speaker if I wished?

I was wondering about putting an ad on this site to see if anyone wants to split a pair of M&K column surrounds, ie go for one each, but was not sure how this would go sound wise with just one. (I have a Denon 3803 on order).

Thanks
    Dak

9. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

thats not really what i meant, and even if you could just have one back channel i would still recommend two, i have had experience with the column surrounds and they are very impressive, give them a go.

Good luck