1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K K Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brendon, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Brendon

Brendon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Just a quick question:

With the cost of M&K's 750THX speakers seemingly increasing by the month, the M&K K Series are looking like the next best thing for me.

HCC gave them a splendid review in their Sept. issue, and a local HiFi retailer is willing to demo them for me (have to make an appointment though).

Whilst I appreciate that the best judge of the system will be my own ear, I'm just curious if anyone has listened to or bought this particular package and feels like sounding off about them ?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

Bren

PS I'd be thinking of using them with a Pioneer THX Ultra amp: would I be best using the sub's variable crossover or the fixed THX 80HZ one in the amp ?

2. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listen mate, I cannot speak highly enough about M&K speakers they are fab.

If I was starting again and going down the THX route I would buy THX speakers.

No tested the K Series but I bet they rock though.

M&K's are famous for clean uncoloured and powerful sounds.

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    I,m also interested in the K-Series but with Denon 3802 Amp.

Unfortunately i havn,t heard them yet , but i,m practicaly buying them already !!!

Kev

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We have the K3 package on demo at work with an Arcam AVR 200, and for the price (£1,895) they are brilliant, even with music. The only thing i would even consider changing would be the sub, either doubling up or changin the K9 for a V125 (£895).

If you want a demo drop in any time. See the map on the Sound Gallery website for directions.

If you listen to the speakers you WILL want to buy them!

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Message for Retro ,

Due you think the K-Series would be ok with the Denon 3802?

Given that the K-Series are rated at 4 ohms , and the Amp states 6 - 8 ohms.

Thanx
    Kev

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We run our K3 package off both an Arcam AVR 200 and a Linn AV5125 power amp. They both have no problems running the speakers despite their differing power outputs.

A Denon AVR 3802 will handle them fine.

Which particular K speakers are you looking at?

If it's the K3 pack you will need an extra pair of K4 surrounds (£395 I think).

Have fun!

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Retro - would you say the M&K K Series are better for music than the 750THX? The reason I ask is that I have the 750THX across the front and although they are oustanding with movies, when you switch to stereo music I don't think they image all that well - don't get me wrong - they're not bad but they're not a patch on my previous Mission 752Fs which were fantastic in this respect.

I've tried toeing them in but it makes no difference - perhaps it's just because, unlike a pair of hi-fi speakers, they are designed to work as part of a front three.

Any thoughts?

Matt.

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Retro ,

I,m having K7 fronts and K4 surrounds , and possibly adding another pair of K4's at a later date.

Cheers
    Kev

9. Brendon

Brendon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I've got to say I had no idea M&K kit was so popular! Seems to be previous few retailers selling the stuff though...

Personally I'm looking at the K-7's across the front, the K-4 Tripoles at the rear and the K-9 sub. That is unless the 750THX drops in price back to the level they were last year...

Stewart C:

Thanks for the enthusiasm over the brand - I've got hold of M&K's catalogue from last year with endorsments from Lucasfilm etc, and it seems like the sounds quality I heard from the 750's extends to the rest of the range.

Retro:

I'd love to frop in for a demo but I'm pretty much at the other end of the country!

Given the response to my question, I'll be arranging a demo of them locally at the earliest opportunity.

Couple of questions though:

1. Similar to Kevin's question from earlier, does the fronts (K-7's) having a 4 ohm load and the K7's having an 8 ohm load present any problems/concerns ? I'm using a THX Ultra amp. Looking in the setup options, the speakers need to be set to 6-8 ohms (good for the rears) or less than 6 ohms (good for the fronts).

2. Having heard THX dipoles before, I'm pretty much sold on the idea. How does the K series Tripole sound for the rear soundstage ? (Aside from very good!). I'm only using a 5.1 system, not Surround Ex/DTS ES.

Cheers!

Bren

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've not had the chance to listen to the 750 speakers yet. We keep in the 55's, 85's and K-series.

They should be good for stereo, MK's do get used for stereo studio monitoring.

Good luck.

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The MK prices are dependant on the £-$ exchange rate, so don't hold your breath.

1) If you've got a THX Ultra amp the K-series speakers should pose no problems. I'd be tempted to switch the amp to less than 6 ohms because it's more than likely the resistance will drop well below 8ohms even though it says 8 on it. Some times speakers will drop to around 2ohms, but this is mainly at bass frequencies, so not such a problem with yours.

2)The K4's are tripole designs which take the best of di-pole and mono-pole and give you a wonderful product. They allow good spaciousness with films, while not becoming too 'lost' with music.

All the speakers beldn beutifully as they use the same drive units.

Have fun!

12. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One wholesale distributor in the UK. Gecko in England.

They then provide to a certain list of commercial distributors.

I tell you what I find the best about M&K speakrs and their narrow distribution channels. I bought my speakers about 18 months ago and the prices for the same speakers are the same if not more than what I paid for them.

This feels wonderful and you feel values as a customer. No depreciation (as long as you don't sell them that is).

I always look through the books at things I bought and six months later they are at mail order palces for a third of the price and all your mates who buy one at the reduced price stick two fingers up at you.

Not with M&K's. Great.

By the way...The Americans couldn't design and build a car to save their life (sorry to those Americans) but they can build a great speaker system.

Regards

13. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    The 750 THX series have special re-directed tweeters to help conform to the THX standard - the tweeter points in a different direction on the main speakers than normal speakers

I think this is why music may not sound as clear compared to other speakers

For DVD's they were great - very powerful. The only thing missing when I demoed them was a fan to blow my hair away

14. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm aware that the tweeters point outwards slightly and this is why they create such a fantastically wide soundstage. For music there is no problem with clarity, in fact they are amazingly detailed and revealing (without being bright) it's just that the stereo image is not brilliant - it's good but not as good as a good pair of hi-fi speakers but, then again, a good pair of hi-fi speakers won't do movies as well as the M&K 750s.

In fact, I remember a group test a few years back in What HiFi where the Celestion A series package came up against the KEF THX package. They said that the Celestion A1's "imaged" almost too well for movies i.e. they didn't work too well as part of a front three (along with the A4C) but in stereo they were outstanding. Conversely, the KEFs were brilliant for movies with three (almost) identical front speakers, but they couldn't produce a good stereo image with 2 channel music - not surprising as they are not designed to do this.

The M&Ks probably image a bit better than the KEF THX as they only conform to the less strict "Select" THX specifications whereas the KEFs have to conform to the THX "Ultra" spec.

I guess this proves that you can't have the BEST of both worlds - you can get some pretty good compromises e.g the Dynaudio Audience package is great with music and pretty good for movies (but not as good with movies as M&K, KEF THX etc), whereas the M&K 750s are brilliant with movies and pretty good with music (but not as good as, say, the Dynaudios). As they say, you pays your money....

Matt.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Matt

I think you have it smack on here and this is probably a THX limitation. THX Ultra 2 looks loads better in this respect. Personally I got around this by having non THX speakers for the L, C and R and THX dipoles for the surround. THX dispersion characteristics are weird at the best of times, great for movies but multi channel nowdays involves music as well as movies. I think this gives a better balance for 5.1 movies and 2 channel stereo. Peoople need to decide what their priorities are, unfortunately most don't until they have bought the kit and it is all too late.

Don't agree dipoles have no bass either. This is just not supported by facts.

I too have been down the bipole route and I am not a fan. Stick with dipoles or direct radiators, bipoles are neither one or the other IMHO. Interestingly they are only aimed at the cheap end of the market, with Dipoles dominating the expensive end.

For movies I like two pairs of dipoles. For music I prefer direct radiators. A good compromise is dipoles at the sides and direct radiators at the rears, now promoted by THX Ultra2. Personally I can switch between direct radiators and dipoles on the rears, with dipoles on the sides. Best of both worlds.

16. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been seriously considering Kef TDM34s for my 5.1 surrounds, the surround speakers having to be against the rear wall 1m behind and 1.5m out from listening position.

The k4 surrounds would be ideal in terms of dimensions in replacing my current Q15s, and are considerably cheaper.

Would the k4s suit being against the rear wall for 5.1?

Are there any reviews online for them? Even better would be as part of a group test in a magazine?

The M&K site also has a very interesting "XENON Surround-25 - Coming soon - Stay tuned for details" on it's surrounds Di-Pole/Tri-Pole page. Any info on this?

Also, on a price point. I understand the K4s are around £500 a pair, yet M&Ks site has them listed as a "suggested" $450US. I know we've got a crap exchange rate at then moment but this seems quite a big difference in price.

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59