1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K K Series...Wow!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jamesl01, Apr 3, 2004.

1. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It has been about five years since I bought my last home cinema kit. So today I went along to my local Sevenoaks branch and listened to the M&K K Series speaker system. It consisted of three K7's across the front and K4's behind. Sub was an MJ Acoustics 150. Amplification was provided by a nice new Denon AVR-3805.

First up was Monsters Inc. Dealer used various scenes to demo the system including the THX bit at the start and the first scene where the kid is in bed. I couldn't believe how welll these little speakers sounded :cool: I felt totally immersed in the sound. Steering was excellent...I almost ducked when the football gets bounced around the kids bedroom!

Musically in two channel mode the K7's aren't as good as my Dynaudio 42's but I never expected them to be. The system will be used more for movies than music. Treble definition on the K7's is very impressive but it just goes to show there's no substitue for a decent sized speaker enclosure when it comes to the midrange and bass.

I cannot wait for my new kit to be delivered. :clap:

James

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Welcome to the club

3. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I also have the M&K speakers to use with my pioneer VSX-A5i amp and a pioneer 757Ai dvd player. They sound superb. I have also just managed to talk the wife into an extra pair of K4s for 7.1 surround.

4. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    ADC

Good work on talking your wife into a full 7.1 system. I had to spend ages hiding cables behind plasterboard to finally gain approval for a mere 5.1 system!

Which M&K speakers are you using for front and centre duties? Are you using an M&K sub as well?

Cheers

James

5. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    James,
    K7s across the front and the sub is the K9 which i think is outstanding for its size. I too have had to hide all speaker cables so i could get the go ahead for 5.1 and the same will have to be done with the extra rears. It could mean the upstairs floorboards may have to come up to run the cables along as opposed to having them across the ceiling which would not be appreciated. If you,or anyone else, has any suggestions they would be welcomed.

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Do you not find your amp gets a bit hot?
    The M&K speakers are all 4 Ohm speakers, below pioneers reccommended impedence.

7. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    ADC

What about taking the skirting board off and tucking the cabling behind? We have stone walls with plasterboard attached to battons which create a gap. Where we weren't having new plastering done I was able to go along behind the skirting then up through the gap between the stone and plasterboard.

I'd be interested to hear if your amp has any issues driving the M&K speakers? I went for the Denon 3805 in the end which seemed to have no problems driving the M&K's to very high levels.

Have you wall mounted your speakers? I've ordered tilting brackets fot FL, FR, RL and RR speakers. The centre will have to slot under the TV.

Cheers

James

8. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Barrie,
    The amp and DVD sit on wall mounted shelves behind the sofa so i haven't really noticed but i'll check next time it gets a run out. The DVD has been back to pioneer for repair!.
    James,
    I have got some plastic trunking running on top of the skirting so that isn't my main issue. The main problem is getting the cables down to it as discreetly as possible.
    The amp dosen't have any problems reaching the levels that i watch DVDs or listen to DVD/A or SACD at. I prefer to stay on good terms with the neighbours.
    Front L&R sit speaker stands and the centre on top of the TV.
    The L&R surrounds are attached to the wall directly via the wall mounting brackets supplied. The speaker cables have been hidden under some more thin plastic trunking and then plastered over.
    Cheers
    Andy.

9. kid rock

kid rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    can anyone say how good these speakers( ie the k4s and the k7s) are or would be in a room of 6 meters by 4 meters??

Cheers

Kid Rock

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    That seems to be an average sized living room and is what these speakers are designed for. I have an average sized living room with K4 rears and they have no problems filling the room with sound and can only assume that the K7 would be similar.

Don't forget that these are 4 ohm speakers presenting the amp with quite a difficult load so you need to be careful with partnering equipment.

11. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Ian

I hope the Denon 3805 is capable of driving these speakers? I never thought to ask about this when I was listening to them.

They sounded great but as for how the amp was coping with the load I don't know. The Denon power rating is 7 x 120w but this is for 8 ohms.

Kid Rock

When I demoed the K7's they were in a room which was about 8 x 5 metres and they had no problem filling the room with sound.

Cheers

james

12. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi James

I too went along to a Sevenoaks (Hull) and was sold straight away on the performance of the K series. They were more than i wanted to spend, but then what isn't. I use 3 K7's across the front and 4 K4's for the surrounds and rear. I use a Denon 3803 which really gets them signing at VERY high levels but NO distortion. A recently added SVS PC20-39Plus has me in surround sound heaven. You have chosen very wisely, happy listening.:smashin:

13. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Kid Rock.
    My living area measures around 4M X 9M and the speakers have no problem in filling it with high quality sound.

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I am not a fan of the K series range but it all depends on your budget. Both the 750 and 850 offer better performance and may be better suited to the largish rooms noted above. More money though...

Also check out their B1500 speaker which my dealer is currently ranting about (not heard it personally)

15. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I have a K7 Centre, K5 Fronts, and K4 rears. Run these with a REL Strata I sub and a Denon A1SR. My room is about 4 by 6 metres, and the K's sound outstanding for their size. I don't feel they are a compromise at all.

Cheers, Lee

16. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

So i take it you will not be going back to the Mission FS then?

You also managed to get them passed by the wife as well!!

Well done, enjoy.

17. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Well I've been running my M&K speakers for about 10 hours now and I'm hoping they are still in the 'running-in' phase. With movies the sound is fantastic but they still aren't quite like the K5's I heard in the shop with music. I went for the K7's as I thought they would be slightly better with music due to the extra driver. They still sound boxy and thin at the moment. Fingers crossed the sound improves over the next few days use.

I'm still trying to work out how to get the most out of the M&K system using my new Denon 3805 amp and MJ Acoutsics sub.

Anyone got any top tips? Any advice about how to get the crossover perfect between K7's and the sub using the controls on the back of the sub would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I would start off by setting the speakers to "small" and the crossover to 80Hz in the bass management menu in the amp.

I don't know the controls on the MJA sub but there must be something to switch the sub's crossover off so that the bass management is handled solely by the amp.

19. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Ian

Thanks for the advice. Speakers are set to small and crossover at 80hz.

The sub has high and low level gain controls, a frequency contour (0-120) and a phase control. I think I'm right in saying the highlevel gain does nothing whilst I am using a phono lead to connect sub to amp.

Low level is set to about a quarter of the way round. Frequency contour is at 60.

he MJ sub is downward firing onto a solid wood floor. I wonder if this isn't helping things? The room is quite large and I can hear the K7's sound almost bouncing off the walls. Think I needs to get some bigger sofas and a nice big rug. :D

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    James - is your wood floor suspended ?

A nice thick rug can definately help. If they are sounding thin you may be loosing some midbass in the crossover with you sub if its not performing. Anyways the sound will definately improve over time - a good month should do it.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Every sub manufacturer seems to use their own different terms but I guess that a "frequency contour" is the same as a crossover. If you have it set at 60 that means that the sub will only replay frequencies below 60Hz. The amp is probably set to crossover at 80Hz or higher which means that the frequencies between 60Hz and 80Hz are just disappearing.

Set the contour to 120 so that it will accept all frequencies sent to it by the amp and set the amp to crossover at 80Hz.

The high level gain controls only operate when the sub is connected at speaker level but you should try and beg, borrow, buy or steal an SPL meter to set the system up properly as it can make quite a big difference.

22. fifa

fifa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hey ADC how about a picture rail these are back in fashion and its just a matter of pining the cables along the top im lucky as I still have the originals in my house
    While im here guys is it possible to use my b&w 601s for AV as well as hi fi ie another amp how would I connect both sets of cables?

23. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    FIFA,
    Already solved the problem.
    The speaker cables disappear into the ceiling under the floorboards upstairs. Drilled a small hole through the ceiling coving and brought the cables down through that. They then run onto the top of a door frame then down onto skirting and on to the amp.
    James,
    Your speakers will take a lot longer to run in than 10 hours but hang in there you will not be disapointed.
    Now my extra K4s are in place the first film i watched through them was Master & Commander and is it sounded awesome.
    Any other suggestions to films with excellent soundtracks to run on this new set up.

24. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    ADC

I highly recommend 'Saving Private Ryan'. The first 20 minutes are a bit gruesome but do make great use of the surround channels.

James