1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K K-series tripole matched with B&W?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matty N, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the new minute K-series tripoles from M&K for reasonable money. Has anyone tried them with B&Ws? My main concern is voice matching.

Any feedback?

Matt

2. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they will work fine as the dispertion from them is so wide as to make the speaker almost disappear. You say you've seen them for ' a resonable price' ,what have you seen them for? And where?

3. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    not sure if this will help but I use the M&K SS150 tripoles with Kef speakers and they work fine. Whilst I agree that it's important to get a good as match as possible the L/R speakers and centre speaker, I'm not convinced that it's so important to do so for the surrounds.

Mac.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with BigMac...

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,
    Firstly, its imperitive that the front L/C/R speakers be identical.(not just matched "as best you can") Most manufacturers (including B&W) make a dedicated centre speaker that is a totally different size and volume to their L/R speakers.
    Many argue that their centres use the same drivers as their L/R's for voice matching.
    This is daft to say the least. Have a think back to your physics lessons. The key word here is volume. A smaller speaker with less internal volume (even with the same number of identical drivers) will sound different to a larger speaker with more internal volume.
    While for many this is impractical (who wants a large speaker in their line of sight?) this is really the only way to go for total accuracy.
    For front projection, micro perf screens are used mainly for this purpose. The centre is not in the way.
    Because I dont like micro perf screens I went the M&K way and have 3 identical M&K 150's stand mounted in front of me.
    My screen rolls down to within 2 inches of the speakers. Ideal.
    Now, the average sound distribution through a typical DVD using a 5.1 system is roughly on average 40% Centre, 20% each for Front Left/Right, and 10% each for rears/sides.
    Again, you notice that the most important channel of all is the centre.
    Try asking KEF to sell you a single Q55. I did, apparently they cant/wont sell one. They only sell them in pairs.

M&K are a few companys that are not in a coma is. Thats one of the reasons I went for their speakers.

Getting back to the surround question. In an ideal world I would use 7 identical speakers with my Denon AVCA1SE,(For my set up I would use SS250's for the sides as these are all but identical to the 150's but are of tri-pole design).
    However due to the sheer expence I opted for the more sane SS150 tripoles for sides and the S85 monopoles of rear. These two pairs are very similar in volume and create a very convincing soundfield.
    Having said all that, even when playing pink noise at 75db while checking speaker levels they most definately sound different to the front three. And thats just with pink noise.
    Can you imagine dialogue?
    Unless you want to make things worse, I would re-think your speaker set up.

Best Wishes
    Eric

[ 19-10-2001: Message edited by: uncle eric ]

6. bigmacx

bigmacx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Apologies if I've misunderstood you Uncle Eric, but why should he be particularly concerned with speech from his rear speakers? This (in my experience) happens very rarely.

Mac.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mac,
    Speech is one of the many variables that arrive from your surrounds. I for one prefer consistancy.

Antonio,
    Notice the word compromise.

Eric

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can have 3 equal speakers with a perforated screen, but the sound wont go thru a TV the same way ;)

For the TV and plasma owners there are some good compromises, like the Sonus Faber Concerto line, and B&W CM and Nautilos lines, where you can get the center with exactly the same drivers as their small speakers, thats what I choose, SF, and it works perfectly with a good subwoofer...

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the same speakers as surrounds, witch is ideal, of course, but my experience is that it doesn´t make much difference, specialy if they are dipoles...