1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K K-Series....to replace floorstanders???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chez, Sep 9, 2004.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I currently have the following home cinema setup -

Meridian 596 DVD Player
    Meridian 561 Processor
    Krell KAV300i (driving front L/R)
    Rotel RB993 (driving centre and rears)
    Ruark Prelude II Front L/R
    Ruark Epicentre
    Definitive Technology Promonitor 80 rears
    REL Storm III

Time has come for a change of speakers (both in sound and appearance) and I have always liked the M&K sound with movies (and from what I've heard, music).

I am considering selling my Speakers and getting 3 M&K K7s for the front and a pair of K4s for the rear (keeping my REL for all sub-80Hz duties).

What are peoples opinions of these M&Ks? I've heard a K5/K4 combination playing movies and was impressed by the natural and clear vocal delivery and also by the diffuse effect from the rears. I've also heard Ian J's M&Ks (can't remember what model, but I seem to recall them being the commercial version of the S85s) and was also impressed by them (excellent imaging and very natural, effortless presentation).

My only worry is that I'll miss the extra bass that my floorstanders have at the front when listening to music....

EDIT - My room is aprox 18ft long x 11ft wide x 8ft high

Any ideas/advice welcomed....

Thanks
    Chez

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Mine are the MPS1510 ( pro version of the S85) and I think you'll find them a significant upgrade over the K series. Since you were here I have put a pair of K4 at the rear and they seem to match quite well.

Your Storm has both high and low level connections so you can always connect up at speaker level as well as LFE so you won't miss any bass with music.

3. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Ian :)

Good point about the high and low level connections...would definitely help with music!

The reason I was thinking of K series is that I have seen some second hand ones advertised at £750 for all 5 (I think/hope I could get them for less than that as well)...I seem to recall the S85s/MPS1510s being much more expensive (and nigh-on impossible to find second hand!)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The going rate for S85 speakers is about £200 each. A couple of weeks ago there was more than one set for sale in the classifieds but it's sods law that when someone is looking there are none.

Why not stick a wanted ad in the classifieds and see if it flushes anyone out as they are well worth the extra. To keep the outlay down you can do the same as me and have the better speakers at the front and a pair of K4 at the rear