M&K Demo Rooms Newbury???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOOMERANGBUBB

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I posted on here a few days ago to ask about demo facilities for M&K speakers. Would you believe it, not one of you had any advice at all!?

Well, I have taken it into my own hands and done a bit of research... I have found a guy that has demo facilities in Newbury (close to Swindon) that has several demo rooms and one specifically for M&K.

I have a couple of questions for you...

Has anyone else checked out these demo rooms?

Also, I'm wondering what demo discs to take with me - I've already got KingKong, Transformers in hand as I love the mix on these.
Can you think of any other quality discs (Bluray) to take with me?

I currently own the MK K-series;

Fronts - K15s x3
Rears - K4s x2 + K15 x1

I'm only looking to upgrade the fronts with MKs (still not sure which model yet though)

You can find a link to my room in my signature (so you have an idea of room dimensions etc)

I'm going on Saturday so please get back to me ASAP. Of course, I will update you with how it goes etc.

Take it easy
Boom

Hi Guys,

I posted on here a few days ago to ask about demo facilities for M&K speakers. Would you believe it, not one of you had any advice at all!?

Well, I have taken it into my own hands and done a bit of research... I have found a guy that has demo facilities in Newbury (close to Swindon) that has several demo rooms and one specifically for M&K.

I have a couple of questions for you...

Has anyone else checked out these demo rooms?

Also, I'm wondering what demo discs to take with me - I've already got KingKong, Transformers in hand as I love the mix on these.
Can you think of any other quality discs (Bluray) to take with me?

I currently own the MK K-series;

Fronts - K15s x3
Rears - K4s x2 + K15 x1

I'm only looking to upgrade the fronts with MKs (still not sure which model yet though)

You can find a link to my room in my signature (so you have an idea of room dimensions etc)

I'm going on Saturday so please get back to me ASAP. Of course, I will update you with how it goes etc.

Take it easy
Boom

Boom

Basically take anything that you're familiar with :) I love Kingdom Of Heaven as a demo disc personally, but there's plenty others out there :)

What's your budget? You should find the 750s to be a big improvement over the Ks, just don't forget the receiver you're driving them with - if they're driving them in the dem on the end of a mid-range (read £800-£1200) receiver and you're running them on a £400 receiver, they simply won't sound the same in your own listening room....

I've got agree here! The 750's, for the price are stunning speakers.

I've got a 7.1 setup here with 750s on the front and 550s at the back with a Rel Stadium sub.

Stick a good amp on the front and a decent sub with them and they sing.

To put them in perspective, the main room has big PMCs and a big Rel sub and although the 750s aren't quite in the same league, they certainly hold their own against that setup!

As for demo disc - Men In Black is an exceptional mix, and either or both of the latest Bonds. You could also take Transporter 3 - find a system that makes that sound good and you're on a winner (and that's not just because I read the June edition of HCC - I watched it last week and the mix is abysmal!)

Mark

That chap near Newbury is probably Rob Sinden of Gecko Home Cinema and he is the importer of MK Sound. I don't think he quite operates a walk-in policy, but as you can see, he's also a forum contributor, so why not ask him?

If not, he'll certainly be able to point you in the direction of your nearest stockist which is the person you would actually buy them from.

Russell

Boom

Basically take anything that you're familiar with :) I love Kingdom Of Heaven as a demo disc personally, but there's plenty others out there :)

What's your budget? You should find the 750s to be a big improvement over the Ks, just don't forget the receiver you're driving them with - if they're driving them in the dem on the end of a mid-range (read £800-£1200) receiver and you're running them on a £400 receiver, they simply won't sound the same in your own listening room....

Hello Smurfin,

How's it going? have you still got your HD73? I'm sure you gave me some tips awhile back!?

Many thanks for your reply. I have never seen Kingdom of Heaven - will have to give it a watch :smashin:

Budget isn't really limited so that's not a problem and I will be driving them with the Onkyo 705 so power should not be too much of a problem also - but I take your point, thank you.

Thanks for your help
Take it easy
Boom

I've got agree here! The 750's, for the price are stunning speakers.

I've got a 7.1 setup here with 750s on the front and 550s at the back with a Rel Stadium sub.

Stick a good amp on the front and a decent sub with them and they sing.

To put them in perspective, the main room has big PMCs and a big Rel sub and although the 750s aren't quite in the same league, they certainly hold their own against that setup!

As for demo disc - Men In Black is an exceptional mix, and either or both of the latest Bonds. You could also take Transporter 3 - find a system that makes that sound good and you're on a winner (and that's not just because I read the June edition of HCC - I watched it last week and the mix is abysmal!)

Mark

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I've been looking at the 750's still not sure though... I guess these would be the ideal upgrade without me having to upgrade my other gear. Not seen The Transporter 3 myself but given your info I will skip it! Will agree that Men In Black is awsome for Sound and is deffo a contender!

Many thanks for the info :smashin:
Boom

That chap near Newbury is probably Rob Sinden of Gecko Home Cinema and he is the importer of MK Sound. I don't think he quite operates a walk-in policy, but as you can see, he's also a forum contributor, so why not ask him?

If not, he'll certainly be able to point you in the direction of your nearest stockist which is the person you would actually buy them from.

Russell

Russell many thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

I was not aware that Rob Sinden was on here.... and yes that is the guy that I spoke to.

I explained to Rob what I wanted and he was more than happy to arrange a visit. I have also been informed that he has the New Steinway Speaker set-up installed in his demo rooms and he has agreed to let me have a dabble - What AV maniac would turn an offer like that down :) especially after reading about the speakers in Home Cinema Choice (HCC) this month.

I want to take my fellow forum buddies fews on the place rather than ask him directly.

Many thanks for your help
Boom

So has anyone visited this place?

Anyother Disc recommendations?

Also, is there another M&K set-up I should consider apart from the 750's?

I'm really looking forward to the visit and just want to be well prepared!

Keep it cool
Boom

The new M&K 950's are being released soon so might be worth holding on, but they may or may not be widely availible straight away, just another option :)

Ref to demo material, I would suggest a copy of the new BD version of the POLICE concert "Certfiable" excellent drums and bass which the M&K's really do do justice to the soundtrack..and as mentioned The Dark Knight and Transformers are a must hear...

Hi Boom
Someone recommend "Children of Men" to me which I watched a few clips of on BD yesterday. So far I think it's the best soundtrack I've ever heard. If you have a BD player you need this disc - incredible dynamics and a really natural use of surround sound.
By the way we now have the Lyngdorf Millennium Mk4 on dem which is making the Lyngfdorf stereo system sound even better. You need to hear this system integrated into a surround system!
Rob

CoM is one of my favourite demo pieces as you may have noticed from my M7 review. I also think it's a much better film than it's given credit for and one of the few films Clive Owen has done where he actually delivers.

Not only is the soundtrack a masterclass in realistic dynamics and bass weight, the cinematography is amazing. It has some of the longest 'single camera' shots I've ever seen. There's some very clever editing or CGI involved, but it's extremely impressive either way. The Wiki for it makes an interesting read.

Russell

Children of Men is a good film and the explosion at the start gets it going quite early on, another film with good dynamics is Open Range and the gunfight which goes on for a considerable length of time, gives both the sub and speakers an excellent work out...

Really surprised no one has mentioned King Kong on Blu ray it has to be one of the best :devil:

:eek: But Children of men is also an enjoyable film :smashin:

Judging by the T2 Studio Canal HD-DVD release I expect the latest T2 BR will be astounding and great demo material as well... who can resist a few minutes of T2 :D And it's always best to demo with material you know well ;)

Last edited:

Judging by the T2 Studio Canal HD-DVD release I expect the latest T2 BR will be astounding and great demo material as well... who can resist a few minutes of T2 :D And it's always best to demo with material you know well ;)

Yes the list is endless for demo material, I do think though that as time has gone on with the newer films they have stepped up a notch in sound quality and the mixes are getting better and better...but not just great for explosions but also for detail and imaging in the soundtrack, I mean in a good system with M&K speakers they do sound stunning and really can show what a good mix can do for the sound...although saying this I watched Basic Instinct on BD and this has an excellent soundtrack which is in DTS-HD MA, I do not remember it sounding this good on plain DVD, so this does lead me to believe that with the new HD audio formats the remastered discs are getting a new lease of life..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Knight and Batman begins the best i have had on my system,COM is a solid film well acted and has a great sound design on it

As for the the 750s my friend has got the them on the front make sure you demo them with the SB1250 that gets the best out of them or look at the new 950s the PDF has just come on the web site there is a thread about MK on here someone has just posted the PDF on there

I remember having a demo of MK speakers from Rob when he had a shop in Kings Road.

He played the end of Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks is firing at the tank.

My jaw was on the floor and i remember that demo vividly to this day (thanks for memory and the great service Rob:hiya:)

It was in that moment i became an MK fan. Still am to this day.

You could demo Transformers, King Kong, Pearl Harbour, Band of Brothers, Taken.

The new M&K 950's are being released soon so might be worth holding on, but they may or may not be widely availible straight away, just another option :)

Ref to demo material, I would suggest a copy of the new BD version of the POLICE concert "Certfiable" excellent drums and bass which the M&K's really do do justice to the soundtrack..and as mentioned The Dark Knight and Transformers are a must hear...

recruit,

Many thanks for the tips on the speakers, any ideas when they are being released?

POLICE concert... that's an interesting one! Not a massive fan but if the disc really shows off what M&K are made of then I might be tempted :rolleyes:

I suppose it is very important to take a varied range of material to get the best out of the demo.

Thanks for your help
Boom

Hi Boom
Someone recommend "Children of Men" to me which I watched a few clips of on BD yesterday. So far I think it's the best soundtrack I've ever heard. If you have a BD player you need this disc - incredible dynamics and a really natural use of surround sound.
By the way we now have the Lyngdorf Millennium Mk4 on dem which is making the Lyngfdorf stereo system sound even better. You need to hear this system integrated into a surround system!
Rob

Rob Sinden,

Thanks very much for writing!

I'm really looking forward to the trip on Sat :smashin:

Children of Men, I had this in my old HD DVD collection and never actually got around to watching it! If you have this at the demo room I would be interested in hearing it on Blu-ray.

The Lyngdorf Millennium Mk4 sounds interesting, I don't want to sound stupid but what exactly is it? HCC seemed to love the Steinway Lyngdorf setup and I must admit, I can't wait to check it out :D

Many thanks for your comments
Boom

recruit,

Many thanks for the tips on the speakers, any ideas when they are being released?

POLICE concert... that's an interesting one! Not a massive fan but if the disc really shows off what M&K are made of then I might be tempted :rolleyes:

I suppose it is very important to take a varied range of material to get the best out of the demo.

Thanks for your help
Boom

Rob will probably be the best one to answer that question but they are due to be released very soon :)

Yes the POLICE concert is stunning and in Dolby True HD and a really good concert, unfortunately I am a fan of there music so might not be everyones cup of tea but certainly mine, track 11 has some very impressive bass where Stuart Copland goes a little nuts with some big drums :D

CoM is one of my favourite demo pieces as you may have noticed from my M7 review. I also think it's a much better film than it's given credit for and one of the few films Clive Owen has done where he actually delivers.

Not only is the soundtrack a masterclass in realistic dynamics and bass weight, the cinematography is amazing. It has some of the longest 'single camera' shots I've ever seen. There's some very clever editing or CGI involved, but it's extremely impressive either way. The Wiki for it makes an interesting read.

Russell

Russell,

I'm so annoyed that I never made the time for this movie! I had it sitting in my HD collection for so long and then sold it without watching it :eek:

I will be sure to pop out and pick up a copy :thumbsup:

Thanks
Boom

Really surprised no one has mentioned King Kong on Blu ray it has to be one of the best :devil:

Hey Pulse1,

I mentioned Kingkong in my opening post ;) I have to admit, it's cracking for the old surround sound, I absolutely love it! Deffo taking it with me.

Thanks
Boom

Bald Monkey,

You're not going to believe this but.... I have never seen T2!!!! Shocking :eek: I know. I am trying to get hold of a copy of the Skynet version on Blu-ray.

Many thanks
Boom

Yes the list is endless for demo material, I do think though that as time has gone on with the newer films they have stepped up a notch in sound quality and the mixes are getting better and better...but not just great for explosions but also for detail and imaging in the soundtrack, I mean in a good system with M&K speakers they do sound stunning and really can show what a good mix can do for the sound...although saying this I watched Basic Instinct on BD and this has an excellent soundtrack which is in DTS-HD MA, I do not remember it sounding this good on plain DVD, so this does lead me to believe that with the new HD audio formats the remastered discs are getting a new lease of life..:)

This is a very valid point... this is why I'm so interested in Blu-ray titles as opposed to SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom