M&K CS22 Mini Review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AngelEyes, Aug 5, 2006.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Hi Chaps,

Well I have been hankering after a pair of column surrounds for yonks. Mainly on the recommendation of a certain forum member who has enjoyed teasing me about them for ages. :mad:

I finally got a chance to play with them last night in my new lounge :clap: (It isn't finished by a long way, in fact there are a few large holes in walls and stuff but that is for another post methinks).

I have always had my surrounds (5.1) behind me rather than to the sides despite always having had bipoles or tripoles I just never get enough 'rear' effect from a 'side' position being so close to the rear wall. I decided to try them to the sides of the sofa and wasn't really all that enamoured, they sounded better than my Xenons on the rear wall but sounds that are completely behind you like the plane flying over your head in near the start of Jurassic Park III just didn't feel convincing enough. However I guess you could put this down to 'what I am used to'.

I moved the CS22s behind the sofa, which is quite wide, so that there is one at each end. The difference was very noticable with the added bonus that they are completely hidden... however in my excited schoolboy rush I managed to chip some veneer off the front edge of my PB12Ultra :mad:

I tested a few favourite clips from Matrix, Flight of the Pheonix, Lord of the Rings, Open Range, WOTW etc. and all I can say is that I was completely blown away by these speakers... when I first got the Xenons I was aghast at what my little Mission 77DS Surrounds had missed but the move up to the CS22s was simply amazing, loads more detail and atmosphere but the biggest difference is the bass. These speakers have a small forward firing mid range/woofer that really kicks you in the back when the soundtrack demands it.

Every time I get some new kit I try not to get too excited (impossible) in case I am dissapointed but this upgrade really has amazed me, better than any of my expectations. All the benefits of a good standmount or floor stander, with the added perks of a wide soundfield and being completely hidden.

The feeling of immersion in the action was massive and for the first time I really felt that I have to get a larger screen or projector. The soundfield just felt so deep, wide and open it was almost like I was squinting at the TV from a great distance... I never thought a speaker purchase would show up my display...:D

Anyway if you got bored with my rantings and skipped to the end, to summarise: The M&K CS22 Column surrounds are fantastic, buy some immediately :thumbsup:

2. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Agreed. Placed behind a sofa, the rear left/right effects are quite precise. Also with them being so close, you may pick up a few more subtleties that might pass you by if the speakers were 5/6 feet away from you on the wall above your head. At one point, i even had one placed along the side wall and the other along the back wall due to the room i was in, and they still produced a great rear soundstage!

And as i've said before, the Miller & Kreisel's (search engine friendly :)) presentation is so much more suited to movies than any hi-fi speakers that they just leave others standing anyway :smashin:

Most people might think M&K tripole surrounds are expensive, and they are, but they're well worth it.

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Sounds good Angel,you finally got them!

Them old xenons must be a give away now eh?;)

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I completely agree, the close proximity and the fact that these are designed with that in mind, really allows you to hear every detail.

Well I am considering keeping them for rears but maybe I am just being greedy :D It would also mean I have to buy another amp and I would rather spend the money on a Projector and Screen now :)

I am sure if someone made me an offer I could be convinced to part with them :D

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    you need a nice sim2ht200dm and grandview screen mate!,ahem i'll get me coat.....

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    :D

7. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    But then you could go for a reliable projector........ :)

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff Angeleyes :thumbsup:

Enjoy !

9. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Glad to hear that you finally got some ;)

May I ask where you got them? Did you have to buy new in the end?

10. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    No I finally wore down one of the forum members who needs a website, so the speakers will go towards that. Quite a nice arrangement for both of us I think :)

11. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Nice review, shame there's no review section on here so it doesn't get lost forever

I look forward to hearing them. What, if I may ask, are you going to do with the Xenons?

Russell

12. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I was going to keep them for 7.1 and either upgrade the amp or get an additional 2 channel. I think I need to calm down a bit and enjoy what I have for now; a PJ and screen should be my next purchase.

The Xenons will be up for sale, so if you know anyone... :)

13. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Glad to hear you liked the CS22's. The positive effects you mention are exactly the same as I found when I auditioned and then bought my CS29's. Still haven't heard a better surround speaker, especially when matched with M&K's on the front.

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Thanks Steve.

I am still getting used to them, I keep looking around when I hear something thinking there is someone banging around in the other room :confused: :)

Great fun!

15. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The first film i watched on mine was Juon:The Grudge (Jap version, dts)....late at night and alone! That was an experience....i had to keep looking over my shoulder even after the film, let alone during it!

16. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I just crapped myself looking at the website :rotfl:

17. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Make sure you watch the Japanese version!
    It was one of the first Jap horrors a watched, so didn't really know what to expect. It may seem tame to some now, but it's far better than the carbon copy US version! If you've never seen a Jap horror film, watch it late at night, alone, after a few bevvies.......

If you like that, there's more where that came from :)

18. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I had the pleasure of visiting Angel Eyes this evening, to pick up his Xenon 25s, and was given a blast of the column surround experience.

Given that his room isn't finished (did he mention that yet?), I was quite startled how effective they are. You still get the sense of ambience high around you, due to the upward facing drivers, that wall mounted dipoles give, but the side facing drivers give the surround soundstage a width that's just uncanny. It really does seem to be around you rather than above. Sounds come past you as much as they do over you.

The final kick, is quite literally, provided by the floor level bass driver that energises the sofa quite nicely, saving you having to waste funds on one of those silly Butt-Kickers.

Very impressive and you don't look like you've filled your room with speakers.

Russell

19. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep the M&K Columns are superb speakers and they are the only bit of kit that i have not changed over the last few years and would not consider changeing...:smashin:

20. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Yes we had a great few hours screaming at each other whilst I demonstrated how easy it was to bottom out my sub :rolleyes:

:blush: Must setup my AV before deafening another visitor with distortion :blush:

Did I mention the room isn't finished yet?

21. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    would not mind a piccy of these in situ when you can angel.They sound awesome!

22. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    That'll be a photo of the sofa then.....:D

23. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Damn, I'll have to buy a new sofa now, I can't possibly post a photo of the one I have now.. very tatty :)

I will post some pics of everything when I am done... did I mention I am renovating the room?

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Column surrounds are one of the best surround speakers you can get for sensible money. They really are awesome and I have been harping on about them for a long time.

Good choice AngelEyes.

25. kick ass sub

kick ass sub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    angle eyes, I'dd like to see some more pictures of your home cinema room and speaker/sub setup. I'm actually aiming on upgrading to a system similar to yours in the future. now that gonna take some while because I just bought my system and the next thing I'll buy will be a projector, HD-DVD or blu-ray player (depends on who'll win) and a new amp witch posses the new HD sound formats.

so :lease: some pics

26. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Hi Mate,

No problem but I think realistically it will be around a month before I get it all setup again. It is a building site here at them moment :(

Adam

27. mihaeli

mihaeli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering the CS22 surrounds. Howerer I anm concerned whether the CS22 are compatible with my B&W 603 S3 Fronts. Another potential problem - I have HK235 with 8 ohms output and the B&W are also with 8 ohms impedance. Is it a trouble to use the CS22 which are 4 ohms speakers?

Thanks.

28. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I don't think rear surrounds are quite as crucial to be identical in timbre to your fronts but only a demo will answer that question for you.

As long as your amp has plenty of grunt a mix of 8 and 4 ohm speakers shouldn't cause you too any problems. Obviously the more power you have the better. HK are renowned for having a decent power output but you should speak to their support or distributor just to be sure.

29. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    can someone explain these column surrounds?

are these low columns that are pretty much hidden by the sofa?

surely these replace wall mounted tripoles?

If so, what happens to the centre rears or are we talking a 5.1 as opposed to 7.1 set up?

How much are they?

and what range are they in, xenon? 750? 150?

I was considering a 150 set up, but am wondering if a 750 would make more sense financially. Now I see people mentioning column surrounds and I am not sure where these fit into the set up.

does sound like they might be more of a wife pleaser!

30. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    They retail around £1100

I would recommend you go straight for 150s, rather than 750s for the front 3, if youcan afford it..

I had 650s and upgraditis got the better of me - I now have 150s and they are absolutely stunning.