M&K - any good for music?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by simon1967, Mar 31, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm in the process of upgrading my system (after putting it on hold for 9 months) - babies, house, work etc.

I auditioned a few sets and was set on a Monitor Audio Gold/silver set-up but thinking back the best film set-up I have heard consisted of M&K speakers. It was in Sevenoaks in Sevenoaks - much more separation and detail in films. I tested the MA Golds with film and music and although the music sounded superb, the film didn't really compare. It may have been an unfair comparision because the MA Golds were being run throuh a £2000 Denon amp and the M&Ks were through some Mclaren/lexicon(?) set-up.

Now, at the time I didn't really pay too much attention to the speakers as I was looking at projectors at the time but the sound for films on the M&Ks really impressed. Would this have been down to the processor or is it down to the fact that M&K make speakers for film as opposed to music then film.

Anyone know what other speaker set-ups (6.1/7.1) I should be looking at? Anyone in the SE London/ Kent area giving demos?

Thanks in advance

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M&K are not classically musical speakers, in that they don't have all the nasty colourations and distorted response curves that so-called musical speakers have. They also require a subwoofer to perform any kind of bass heroics, as they are all designed to go down to 80Hz and not much further.
    That makes them great for music IMHO - would you honestly listen to live music with cotton wool buds in your ears?

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Simon.

It would be worth knowing which M&K setup you were listening to?

Was it M&K 750THX Select system?
    Was it the M&K 'K' system?
    Was it the M&K S-150THX Ultra system?
    I've seen, heard all these systems in the Sevenoaks branch.

Last time i was in there, was about 3-4 months ago & they still had the 750THX Selects in the room directly behind the raised floor level where most of their AV equipment is on display..

(First door on the left in corridoor)

Adzman

4. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I went about 9 months ago (Wimbledon week), and it was at the back of the store, up the stairs and first door on the right. Quite a large room with a Sim2 300 projector set up with built in lighting and speakers.

Ring any bells?

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Ahhhhhhhhh, that'll be the M&K S-150'S then, which are one of the most expensive domestic M&K units to buy.

They are certainly good with music though.

I think they were being powered by Cinepro amps which have a 600W per channel delivery & i am told are very 'Americian' whatever that means!!!!!....(Big, muscular & bold probably)

Very expensive, but excellent dual purpose speakers.
    Need to get a subwoofer as the Evil one suggested.

So in short, excellent for films & excellent for music.

Adzman

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:
    :devil:
    :lesson:
    V******e's integrate very well with M&K satellites.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pity M&K's are a bit overpriced- they are 1:1 ratio, as with most imported US gear.

Probably cheaper if you can cough cough -customs -cough cough.

8. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or go for the pro range if you can live without grills (though grills are now a cheaper cost option on some models.)

9. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grills came on my MPS 2510P's... but not on the 1525's.

Cant say I have a problem with music, i listen to music a lot and it sounds excellent.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    A while since this was written but ...

The only time this comment is relevant is if you goto a strictly accoustic concert (literally NO amplification) otherwise I think you'll find Nexo / JPW / etc speakers are NOT very accoustically clear.

Vikki

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    M&K speakers certainly can be good for music. Graham's HiFi in Islington are quite keen on M&K speakers of all sorts, so you could try there. If you want to listen to the S150P active speakers then Rayleigh HiFi in Rayleigh, Essex have a set. Or you could ask Uncle Eric if he can give you a session in his famous "Batcave" where he has a set of the "professional" equivalent to the S150P, the 2510P. (These are much better value than the "commercial" version). There's some place in Enfield that has the S150Ps as well - Pounds, I think it's called.

12. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Now I may be comparing apples with oranges here so apologies in advance.

I just got of the phone to Sevenoaks and described what I liked about their system - separation, individual effects, pinpoint accuracy i.e. sounds would really move from left to right and front to rear in an expansive manner - in the sense that all the sound imagery seemed in focus. I know it is very hard to describe but that is what impressed me with the sound quality.

Now, is it a fair comparision to say that this is down to the speaker set-up rather than the sound processor? Perhaps, I need to look at what components are giving me the sound I like rather than looking at my system piece by piece. I have listened to quite a few integrated amps - Yamaha, Denon 2-3K monsters but none of them gave me that detailed, separated sound I got from the demo. The Yamaha amps have never been to my taste musically so I run an old Harman Kardon THX spec amp at the moment.

Just to recap, in which order should I look at equipment? Is the amp the place where I should place the most importance on or are speakers the make or break item here? Unfortunately, I have tasted the good stuff now and there's no going back:-( I cannot justify unlimited amounts of cash on Mclaren amps and Lexicon processors, THX spec M&K speakers ad infinitum. So are there other options / combinations that I should look at - speakers & amp that give me that best of both worlds. Very confused but thats how I like it in a funny sort of way.

Thanks again and is it really a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Lexicon's do have fantastic processing, it does reproduce a very atmospheric sound.

You can get MC-1's for £1500, which will trash any AV amp's decoding.

Mate with a Rotel 1075/1095 or 991/993, and you've got a good front end system.

M&K's are very nice, it's just a shame the importers charge too much for them, money grabbing b'stards!

Even the K series are pretty expensive, considering physically what they are (small sats)

14. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Now, is it a fair comparison to say that this is down to the speaker set-up rather than the sound processor? "

I think you have answered your own question.

If you buy M&K assuming than the good sound was due to the processor, then you at least know that once you add the right processor, the speakers are not going to hold you back.

If you buy assuming sound was good due to the speakers, then again you won straight away.

I have Lexicon + active M&K. I find them better for music than for movies. That I think is the limitation more of the Lexicon part than M&K.

So, your question is really about money. You are worried that good sound was due to processor and therefore no particular advantage of going for an expensive set of speakers if given the same processor you can get by with cheaper speakers.

This is a valid question, but then you need to ask yourself why didn't Sevenoaks demonstrate using cheaper speakers.

My guess is because it would not sound as good!

15. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You find the Lexicon the limitation? This confuses me even further. In what sense. Again, I am not up on the spec sheets on even the integrated amps never mind the high end stuff so I am only going on what I heard in a demo room.

With regards to the speaker set-up, I only heard the set-up when I was auditioning a Sim2 projector and it only struck me how different it was in sound when returning to listen to speaker set-ups - different room, different speakers (monitor audio), different amp (denon). Again, I was demoing the speakers (Monitor Audio Golds) primarily as a music source and concentrated on CD replay. I was comparing the silvers to the gold and seeing if they justified the extra expense which brings me onto your last point.

Yes, it is about money but more in value for money. I guess the bottom line is where do I spend the majority of my 'budget'. Max spend is approx 15K, preferably 12-13K:
    Marantz / Sim2 / Sharp / Infocus / DLP projector £6000-7000
    Pioneer Plasma £3000 (just bought)
    DVD £500 (probably retaining my Sony 7700)

which leaves me with approx 4.5K for a 7.1 speaker set up and amp/processor.

Recommendations? BTW, I don't mind buying ex-demo stuff to keep it within the budget.

Thanks again

16. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I find the clarity of sound to be much better with music material than with the films. This is something that I noticed with other processors and I haven’t exactly figured our why this is so. I am starting to consider that my hearing may be at fault, but that should equally effect the music material.

In short I find movies material to be muffled and not always intelligible. Frequently, I would increase the volume so that the dialog becomes easier to follow.

Again, I identify this as a problem of my system and pointing towards Lexicon as culprit, but it maybe something else.

I have listened to M&K with other sources, both cheap and expensive, and for the music those speakers always sound good (some sources better Lexicon as well).

Taking your budget limitations in account, it appears that a new M&K S-150 based system would be probably out of reach. These speakers come with 10 year guarantee so I would certainly encourage you to check the 2nd hand market, but they do not appear that often.

You are more likely to get better system and well as better value for money by getting a set of active speakers + an AV Processor. Several members of this forum have such systems and using the search (look for active or powered speakers) function it should be easy to find the past discussions. I would say roughly £300-500 per speaker should get you a very good set-up (this is speaker with amplification). A 2nd hand AV processor is easier to get with some Lexicon MC-1 being offered quite frequently.

17. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    £1500 for a secondhand Lex MC-1 at £1500 plus 3x ATC Active 10s with some decent surrounds & a 2nd hand 2-channel power amp, plus maybe a Velodyne CHT-15 sub, should fall within your budget and is guaranteed to sound amazing. I've got the 3 ATCs, with Mission 77DS surrounds and an ATC Concept 2 sub (very nice £1100 affair), and I'm hoping to get m'self a decent proc soon, with the MC-1 at the top of my list. So far it sounds amazing even with a budget Yamaha DSP 800 proc, and it should sound fantastic once I get the Lex!

Cheers,

Dunc