1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m&k advice pls

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jasonx32, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently, this is the setup:

3x K7 L,C&R
    2x K4 Tripoles Surround L&R
    2x SS550THX L&R Surround Back

What I really want to know is would the system benefit from another pair of k4's where the ss550's are, or a pair of k5's?

Looking to mount the existing pair of K4's higher up near the ceiling and the same with the surround backs.

Or the other option is to use a second pair of 550's (buying a set off this forum now) to put where my k4's are now, but will the k7's be the weaker link then?

FYI, running them off a Pioneer 2011, and along side a M&K v125 with another joining it at the end of the week.

HELP!!!!

Jason :smashin:

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that in most M&K Professional setups they go for all tripoles at the Rears i suppose it's harder then to locate the speakers direction of sound, so yes it would be better to have another pair of K4's, saying that though i use the K15's at the rear and find that they work well, but i have thought about getting a couple of K4's instead... :)

John

3. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info john.
    looks like i'll be going for a set of k4's for the surround backs.

do you know if they need to be very slightly angled when they are mounted so high up?
    was looking to put them on the flush mounting brackets like my existing pair.

jason

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jason,

If i was you i would try and see if that sounds ok i'm sure it will or else you are going to need the ST Tilt brackets and they are quite expensive!! :(

John

5. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw some in sevenoaks the other day and nearly had a heart attack when told the price.

going to pick your brains again now (as you seem to be one of the resident m&katholics on here)
    just bought a nice av rack for all my gear, would placing the centre k7 on the top shelf of the rack be okay as the rack will be directly under the middle of the projector screen, or would it be better on the proper m&k k centre stand?

Jason

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it will be ok i have my 851 centre in a stands unique tower rack and it sits just below my plasma and it sounds fine so i don't think you will have any problems doing that :)

John

7. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john, got the second pair of k4's today, and i'm astonished with the difference over the 550's. Got them mounted high up with the other pair of k4's too, but have to run the cables through the loft over the weekend.
    Will give them a thorough test over the w/end with some different material.

One point though, when sevenoaks ordered them for me, they told me that they now came with the metal grille (like the 550's) but when they did turn up they had the matching fabric grilles which match my existing k4's and k7's.

Might do some pics too at one point when the cables are done.

Jason