1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K 850's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by megson, Oct 5, 2003.

1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi

I had the M&K 850's demoed yesterday with the Denon AVC11SR.

I had virtually made my mind up to have this package because of M&K's excellent reputation for Home Cinema and I thought it would surely be an improvement over the K series speakers which I had already heard and liked.

I am gutted....I expected the sound to be bright because of reviews and comments made by contributors to these forums but I never quite expected the assault on my eardrums that I experienced.

Now I will come clean and admit that I have never actually been on an American battleship whilst it was being strafed by Japanese Zero's so I can hardly claim to know whether the sound put out by the 850's was realistic or not, but I do know that the riccocheting of bullet against steel superstructure actually hurt my ears. Surely that can't be right! I go to the cinema once or twice a week and love action movies but I have never winced at the noise created by the soundtrack.

Is the brighness/harshness that I appear sensitive to typical of all M&K's or just the 850's.

I know M&K's are muched loved on the forums so I cannot express how disappointed I was after leaving the demo room.

Could it have been down to the way the system was set up in the first place and would you think that another demo might change my opinion.

Opinions would be welcome

regards

Megson

2. RastaCat

RastaCat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a few possibilities that may have contributed to making the 850s sound overly bright.

A) The speakers were not properly run in.
    B) The cables used were not complementary to the speakers.(Some silver/silver coated cables can add to the top-end)
    C) The listening room was overly "live" (Not enough soft furnishings to dampen the brightness.
    D) Tone controls may have been active.
    D) A combination of any/all of the above.

I have the S85s and they sound superbly detailed and spacious without being overly bright.

I've never heard the 850s personally, but I've heard great things about them from a reliable source.

My advice would be to give them another go.

RastaCat

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi megson
    Its pretty well known that m&ks need to be partnered carefully as rastacat as said above.
    Ive had my 850s a little over a week i did change speaker cable from silver anniversary to chord carnival but still using qed qnect 2 phonos which i will be changing when i swap the amp.The sound iam getting isnt harsh at all dont know if this is because i use a nad receiver,Cds played on my nad 541i sound excellent as well this is without them being ran in.Try and get to demo them with some rotel amplification and your chosen cables which iam sure they wouldnt mind.
    Just put it this way they wouldnt sell many speakers if this was typical.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    My old M&K 750THX Selects used to get bright when they were pushed quite hard.
    Worth pointing out, that it is only when pushed hard!

Only when i swapped to Dynaudio studio monitors did this become more obvious.

Also, owners of S85's & MPS1510's have also told me that their units have similar traits, although much less than my 750's.

Adz

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Megson I don't like the M&K sound that much either.

If you read the first review from almost everyone who gets them they talk about the bright sound. Then they use them for a few days and get used to it. It's whatever floats your boat, use your ears and get something you like not what anyone else tells you to get.

6. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

The speakers you heard are not bright or harsh, they do need careful partnering and the denon is a good tonal match.

From what you are saying i take it that the dealer did not engage
    THX post processing.

Try getting another demonstration, they are worth the effort.

Good luck.

Regards

7. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the help.

I will go with the consensus and get another demo.

Craig - I am not too hot on the technical side of things (although I am getting better thanks to this forum) so I am not sure what the THX post processing is supposed to achieve.

I will remember the phrase and ask whoever gives me the demo to engage it!!

Many thanks

Megson

8. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    THX processing general takes a touch of the top end off, which means the sound won't be quite as forward. Makes a noticeable difference @ high volumes.

I have the M&K MPS1610s, and after looking at my room acoustics (a la Carpet Right:D) I can comfortably drive them @ around -05db reference without any harshness.

It does of course depend on the movie itself....some soundtracks such as LOTR will be bright whatever....

9. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Matt

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Well - to be honest they are brightish speakers. At very high volumes they can tend to sound harsh on the treble side of things. I did various things to my set up to take the edge off the sound. These have made a slight difference -

1. Changed the interconnects between my power amp and processor.

2. Changed my speaker wire from Silver Ann to a copper only wire (chord carnival)

3. Put a thick pile rug on the wood floor.

4. Dont toe in the speakers to the listening position - I know theoretically you should but I just have them facing straight and the top end does roll off slightly. Also I find that imaging in stereo is much better. Dont ask me why !!

Also the harshness does improve with time (they need to be fully run in - the first thing I noticed when I got them was that Shrek (DTS) sounded really bright at high volume. I tried it again recently and now it doesnt.

I also swapped back to my old speakers this weekend (just for comparision) and I hated them - detail was poor in comparison to the M&K's and movies had lost their fizz and the soundstage was much poorer.

Now I wouldnt swap the M&K package for anything this side of £3k.

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    My system:
    Pioneer DV-656 A
    Pioneer VSX-D2011
    Mordaunt Short THX select 500 package.
    Problem:harsh sounding treble and sounds from the centre at loud volumes, ie 0db, especially with the sound from the lord of the rings the two towers.
    Anyone else find Gimley talkin in the battle scene disturbing and uncomfortable?also the shouting in the battle scene is harsh sounding and detail is distorted.
    Fred