1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K 850s vs 150s any comparisons please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by benny, Jul 1, 2005.

1. benny

benny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Hi was just wondering has anyone heard the difference between the 150 and the 850, do they have the same charactheristics, maybe are the 150s less forward sounding.

thanks ben.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ben,

The 850's are definitly not as good as the S-150's but not too far off, the sound stage is alot bigger and the top end is smoother but once again the better the amplification the better the sound on both set's of speakers.
    Both speakers give a very dynamic performance and are probably the best speakers for watching movies on IMO.

Regards
    John

3. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Most of the M&K range are quite bright in their presentation and as such they all have a very similar 'house sound'. However, if you move into their professional range things start to improve somewhat. The MPS2510 (pro equivalent to the S-150) for instance, uses a slightly different tweeter array and has a smoother presentation than the S-150. They are more expensive though. :)

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scott3 - The MPS2510's actually work out cheaper than the S-150's individually, and they only come as a standard square front with no choice of angled presentations like the S-150's do.

5. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I was thinking of the active versions when I mentioned the price. :oops:

However, if the 2510 (passives) are cheaper than the S-150 (passives) then I would go for the 2510 everytime, especially considering the slightly better tweeter arrangement.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I nearly bought the passive 2510's but settled with the S-150's as i wanted the angled fronts plus i worked out a good deal :thumbsup:

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Benny - What did you choose in the end? did you keep the 850's or did you change to the S-150's