1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K - 850's v 650's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by megson, Jun 1, 2003.

1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi

I have recently had a demo of the M&K 650 series and was very impressed. The 850 series is probably within my budget - just, and I want to know what advantage it has over the 650 package. I know it has an extra woofer but does this just boost output? Are there any other "sound quality" advantages to having the extra woofer? My AV room when finished will be 18ft by 16 foot.

I will demo the 850 speakers anyway but it helps to know what to listen out for.

The dealer demoed the 650's with a Denon 3803 but reckoned that the Rotel 55 would have more quality and power to drive those types of speaker package.

Any help would be appreciated

Megson

2. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did you tjink they were heaps better than the K series you heard then Megson??

Lennyz

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just finished an install which consisted of 850 front L/C/R configuration and 650 for side and rear surrounds.
    Very impressive. I would say the extra £100 pounds or so from the 650 to 850 is justified. Great speakers indeed.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i think the extra driver will make the music performance better - warmer and a little more mid-range umph to it. i have the s125s and this is what they gave me to the similar s85s - ar the 850s the replacements of these then?

5. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Lennyz - Not heaps better in truth. Similar dynamics but atmospheric effects did seem better ie the corn field scene in Signs made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Uncle Eric - Thanks for that. What sub did you use on the install. The 850 sub is £1200 and that is serious money unless the performance is brilliant!!

regards

Megson

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a 300 watt Velodyne CHT-15 which is great value at £684.
    Take a peek in the power-buys section where the Velodynes are available at large discounts exclusively on this forum.

7. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Weird I would have thought these speakers would really outclass the K series...maybe if you were able to listen to them on a side by side demo you would hear the difference more pointedly?

I suppose if the 650's give more atmosphere then that is what it is all about..after all that is what the immersion in the film is down to

I would like to hear them myself, out of curiosity.

8. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Lennyz

I heard the K series with the big pioneer VSA AX10 and the 651's with the Denon 3803.

On reflection I would love to hear them the other way round!!

Don't get me wrong the 651's are better but not IMHO dramatically so. The K series are great speakers if your AV room is smallish.

regards
    Megson

9. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yea Megson
    my room is pretty small so the k-series work really well in there. I think it is only around 13ft x 13 ft with a chimney breast and high ceilings. It is a good room layout though.

What size room have you got for your setup?

Have you got somewhere to demo the 850's with a Rotel amp.

I wonder if anyone out there knows what rears would work with the 850's...would the surround 55 tripoles work alongside? I know they are pushing the column surrounds with these but I wonder if any of the conventional tripoles would match in well.

Lennyz

10. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Most of the M&K range seem to use the same drivers with the exception of the K-Series and the Xenon Series so most of their surrounds should match. Even the ones that use different drivers are voiced similarly, quite a few dealers seem to use K4s with S85s for instance.

I have the 850's with the Column Surrounds which use different drivers and the front to back soundstage is seamless.

Will

11. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Lennyz

My room will be about 18ft by 16ft when finished.

spoke to Zebra installations today (sister company to Gecko).
    They have the Xenons on demo and the guy I spoke to said that in his opinion they are as good as if not better than the 650 series (if set up right). Careful setting up with a good sub is required because its a 100hz crossover. Apparently it can be ordinary set up wrong but brilliant if right.

Will still have the 850's demoed with a Rotel 1055 but if I can get anything approaching that quality from the Xenons I think my mind will be made up. The Xenons are apparently the result of a personal quest by Ken Kreisel to better the K series (which he didn't design) which we both know are great speakers.

regards
    Megson

12. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Megson,

I would be interested to see what you think of the 850's and even more interested to see what you think of the Xenons in comparison to them. Your comment has made me wonder about changing my K series to a set of Xenons:eek: I would possibly have to upgrade my sub though.

What sub will they be using on the demo's Megson have they told you? I imagine you would like to hear them partnered with the same sub to give a good picture...poss Velodyne?

Keep me posted.

I am happy with my K's but you have now planted the upgrade seed :suicide:. Harmless fun.

take care

Paul