M&K 850 vs S150

D

DEO

Hi, can somebody like perhaps Uncle Eric or Ian J help with their opinions on these new 850 M&K speakers.

I am worried that the S 150 and SS 150 Tripole rears will be too much in terms of cost and quality.

In terms of Amplifier I guess I will buy the Denon 3803 or AVC 11 SR.

Ideally I need some advice on purchasing/installation/placing so how can I contact Uncle Eric by phone or fax? I am based in the Midlands.

The 850 now replace the 750THX. They need very good amplification as they are a 4ohm load. My 3801 couldn't cope at anything like highish volumes, but with a rotel or above amp wise(or a1se Yam az1) they are brilliantly detailed with excellent steering on music, and just fantastic with Movies. Cost around £395 each

The S150 is the domestic THX Ultra speaker, I would recommend you go for the Pro version 2510(if you have the cash). Outstanding quality for movies and very good with music. Around £800 each.

Or why not look at the M&K pro 1510 at £420 each. Pro version of S85.

www.mkprofessional.com/news_p1.html

The 750 THX select system is still going strong. The 850 is a direct replacement for the S85.

Ah ok Eric. My Mistake there. I saw and heard the 850 with the Arcam av8 and P7 and they look just like the 750, and sound very similar as well,infact almost identical.

I haven't heard the 850 yet but knowing M&K they will not be cheap. I have the Pro 1510 which is the professional version of the S85 which are driven adequately by my Denon AVC10SE

Having listened to a lot of very expensive speakers at Bristol on Sunday I was pleasantly surprised when I got home to find that my system compared well with the very best that I heard.

If that is the sort of size and price that you are looking at, you are more than welcome to come over for a listen.

Contact Eric by PM, or email from his signature on the bottom of each of his posts.

just to clear things up here, the 850 replaces the S125, the 650 replaces the S85 and the LCR750THX continues but with the addition of different finishes now available. The 850 and 650 both easily out perform the 750 , using far superior drive units and a better cabinet construction. Whilst the 850 and the 750 are the same proportions, they are not the same speaker.

Also the S150 and the MPS2510 are exactly the same speaker.

Most M&K dealers now have the new 850s and 650s on demonstration.

Hope this helps

Paul Cummings
Gecko

Originally posted by pc

Also the S150 and the MPS2510 are exactly the same speaker.

Hope this helps

Paul Cummings
Gecko

It's just the price that varies with the s-150 costing quite a bit more;) :laugh:

If "Also the S150 and the MPS2510 are exactly the same speaker" does that mean the 650 (replaces the S85) and the MPS 1510 also are also exactly the same speaker? Cannot be so, totally different on the outside.

I find it hard to comprehend "exactly the same speaker" they cannot be the same speaker because to start with they are different
names.

I would have thought for a lay consumer like me the Professional series is going to be more nuetral sound designed for recording studios etc not the living room.

On a like for like basis do the consumer speakers cost more money and can all M&K dealers sell both the consumer models and the Pro models?

Why do the M&Ks need such good amplification. In terms of Denon 3802 or AVC 11SE or A1 SE what amplifier is recommended to drive the 850s or the S150s.

I get the feeling that going up to the S150s will create extra burden in terms of the quality of the amplifier and DVD player required to drive them or utilise them that my wallet is going to feel badly hurt.

Originally posted by pc
DEO, you have pm

What is it that you don't want forum members to know :D

You earlier referred to "S150 and the MPS2510 are exactly the same speaker" which is patently untrue. They may be similar and even have similar drive units but leaving semantic considerations aside they are not the same as for a start one of them doesn't have a vertical dispersion switch.

Paul from Gecko sent me pm because communicating publicly on the forum sometimes raises more questions than answers.

I sure have got more questions than answers now, I suppose everybodys interpretation and opinion can be different!

Looks like there is no point in good speakers like these M&K 850s unless you get a good (expensive) amplifier!

Looks like the Denon 3802 will not be appropriate

The price of M&K speakers is disproportioned compared to the price in the US.

Any chance of saving money by avoiding customs and importing yourself?

I wouldn't mind a 150 setup, but at £1600 pair, plus £900 centre, and £1100 for the tripoles I can't justify that amount of money. Even though they are fab.

Nathan

Originally posted by DEO
Looks like there is no point in good speakers like these M&K 850s unless you get a good (expensive) amplifier!

Have a look at the Bristol Show reports and see what many people (including myself) thought of Leema speakers.

Made in Britain as well :)

Originally posted by DEO
Paul from Gecko sent me pm because communicating publicly on the forum sometimes raises more questions than answers.

I sure have got more questions than answers now, I suppose everybodys interpretation and opinion can be different!

I just moved to using M&K 750THX and had to get rid of my 3801 as it wasn't up to the job in powering them. They are however fantastic speakers when used with the right quality amp.

Have to disagree with PC though, having owned the 750 for some time and having heard the 850, they sound the same to me.

Originally posted by THX 1138
Have to disagree with PC though, having owned the 750 for some time and having heard the 850, they sound the same to me.
Does the 850 have a Maximum input (like the S85 has)? I remember that when we compared the 750 & S85 at your house they sounded similar if the S85 was hooked up using this input.

Cheers,
Liam

Originally posted by lmccauley
Does the 850 have a Maximum input (like the S85 has)? I remember that when we compared the 750 & S85 at your house they sounded similar if the S85 was hooked up using this input.

Cheers,
Liam

Liam,
Heard them in Sevenoaks rear demo room, and as you know they are hidden in the room, so couldn't see if they did. BTW heard the new Ultra 2 Jamos which they now have on demo, and they are very good with music which surprised me a lot, and fantastic with movies. Just not as detailed as the M&K's.

Hi,

The M&K LCR850/650 speakers have one pair of terminals,

the same as the LCR750THX.

On different equipment in different rooms I can understand the differences would not be as noticable. I can say that on direct comparison the LCR 850s are an improvement in all respects given the right amplification.

Phil, your stands will be with us shortly, they are being coated as I write - will call you when they are delivered.

Originally posted by Craig Sowerby
Hi,

Phil, your stands will be with us shortly, they are being coated as I write - will call you when they are delivered.

Cheers Craig:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom