1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K 850 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rags, Jun 27, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    If all goes to plan I will be importing this system from NY in a few weeks time. Consisting of -

850 Left, Right & Centre.
    V850 Sub
    Column Surrounds

I will need to get a transformer for the sub - however will it sound the same as a uk spec sub when using it through the transformer ? Also will M&K sell me a Uk voltage sub in the US - it would make things easier.

I also notice that these speakers are rated at 4 ohms - I intend to run them off a Rotel 1075 - will this be able to drive them sufficiently ?

Do M&K provide a worldwide warranty ?

I would like to buy from the UK however the system is just over half price in the US.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Rags

2. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I used to have a 1075 driving my Dynaudios which are a similar load to your M&Ks. I doubt you'll have a problem.

I'd probably source the satellites in the US and buy the sub here. It will cost more but then you won't have to buy a transformer or pay for the sub to be shipped so that'll offset the cost.

D.

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Ok thanks. Also I have just found out that it is a worldwide warranty.

My cousin is looking into them for me in NY. Current best price he can get for the whole lot is $3200. They may also be able to supply a 220v sub - he's gonna come back to me.

Rip off Britain I suppose.:(

I am not going to buy the stands as they will be difficult to transport + they are too expensive. Any recommendations for stands to use instead ?

4. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the Chicago area and bought a full M&K 150 system here and brought to UK (no freight cost). I did not buy the sub in the US though, too heavy/complex but the subs are fine. I reckon I could buy the 850 system in Chicago for $3K.

Buy the sub here.

Dave Deo

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Dave - your right . Best price has now become $2916 including local tax. Sounds unbelievable compared to the price here (£3,900)

They however cannot supply a 220v sub (we tried to feed them some horse**** around how I live in Mozambique and they arent any M&K dealers around but they still wouldnt supply and referred me to the european distributor.

Anyway will buy the fronts. centre and surrounds (same discount applies).

How will they sound if I wall mounted the front channels ?

6. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    why are they so much more expensive here???

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Maybe M&K dealers who frequent this forum can explain why.

Any opinions on wall mounting these speakers would be appreciated.

Thanks

8. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have the M&K 750 system (the predecessor to the 850) which has speakers of the same size. I have all speakers wall-mounted with M&K's ST Tilt wall brackets, which cost £150 each here in the UK. In the states they retail at $150 each, so you may want to pick some up as well.

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    £150 is an awful lot money for wall brackets !!!!!!

Carl - does wall mounting them impair their output as compared to placing them on stands ? I mean what is the preferable option - space in not a problem for me.

10. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I had the front pair on the M&K column stands before switching to the wall brackets and I can notice no difference in output whatsoever. As the M&K's are sealed enclosures I wouldn't have really thought it would make much difference - the stands for M&K's top-end speakers are more like floor-standing wall-brackets if you can imagine that... :)

Personally I vastly prefer the wall brackets as it has allowed me to get the front three more closely aligned in terms of height, and then angle the speakers downwards slightly so I still get great on-axis response.

They were damned expensive as you say at 5 x £150, but I used to have some money back in the heady days of the dot.com explosion! :D

EDIT: I think you actually get flush mounting wall brackets included with the speakers (you did with my 750 system), so if you don't need to angle/toe-in the speakers you may be sorted.

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Hi all,

The speakers have finally arrived (safely I hasten to add - the packaging from M&K was superb). In maple finish the speakers do look stunning and are superbly finished and built. Paid £1,255 in total for LCR 850 fronts and centre + pair of CS29 column surrounds + 2 wall brackets.

I have set them up and have hooked them to my Yammy DSPA2 (temporary measure until I upgrade soon). However unfortunately I have lost the manual for the Yammy and I seem to recall that you have to change the settings on it (somehow??) when hooking it up to a 4ohm load. Anyone know how to do this ? Please ?

Also how much running in do you think the speakers need? The manual does not mention anything.

Thanks
    Rags

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    There should be a switch on the back of the amp for 8 ohm/4 ohm, somewhere around the speaker terminals. I think my A1 does.

Re: running in, I'm sure there was a long thread some time ago about it, is 24 hours a figure thats quoted often? Try various different CDs imho, and even better, DVD-Audio 5.1 discs.

There are people much more qualified than me on here who can offer you good advice on this, but I would suggest keep varying the volume, but keep it on the low side.

The only other thing I would say is to be careful driving them with your A2. Those speakers are obviously not easy to drive, and your A2 may well run out of steam. You don't want to damage your speakers just before you upgrade your amp to something meatier!

I'm buying a set of M&Ks and have just ordered the Rotel RMB1075 (my yamaha A1 will be just used for processing duties until I can afford a decent processor). But thats mainly because I want to drive my speakers reasonably hard.

cheers
    Matt

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the rumours are to be believed there may some Tags going cheap as the dealers try and offload their bankrupt stock.

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Thanks Smurfin - I found the switch.

Problem is that the yammy back panel limits the rear channels to 6 ohm minimum even though the limit for the rest of the speakers is 4ohms !!!!! Annoying.

Anyway had a sneak listen at lowish volume and put simply they sound stunning - even without running in or with proper amplification - the clarity is amazing and the treble superb. Has anyone else got the 850's ? I am still astounded as too how a speaker so small can sound so good.

If I listen at lowish volumes is there still risk of the amp overheating/clipping ? lowering the volume would lower the risk I suppose .

I guess I will probably go down tha same route as you and buy the 1075 first and then get a decent processor when the bank manager gives clearance. I am also considering Parasound as per the discussion in a previous thread.

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Ian - any more to it than just rumours? ie any specifics (if available) would be very helpful. I was thinking of getting a Rotel 1066 but several threads recommending a better processor to go with the 1075 have put me off getting it.

Thanks
    Rags

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    rags look at Stuart M Robinsons last post....Tag have made a statement about discontinuing any further development in the AV field, with a simultaneous increase in dealer margins (41%). Although not good news in the long term, you'll certainly see discounted brand new Tags soon, which will have a further knock on effect onto thre 2nd hand market.

Still, may take a while. Me for one is holding off (more through lack of funds than anything else tho, and this "hobby" is getting out of control - AGAIN;) )

17. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rags,

Glad to hear you're happy with the M&Ks, they really are stupendously good speakers, as anybody on here with taste will tell you(Smurfin you know it!! ;) I owe you one!).

Perhaps you should consider importing a few more sets for all your buddies here on the forums! (At a small profit of course :D)

Now then, any chance of getting my hands on that ASW-675? ;)

LMK

SMP

18. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741

You'll be fine at low listening levels, just don't run it at Dolby reference level (someone correct me if I'm wrong, it almost appeared that I knew what I was talking about then;))

I'm already way over budget (how the hell did I just managed to spend another two grand is beyond me), but the 1075 should keep me going for some time yet as by all accounts its a class power amp. I'm sure the A1 will serve well as a processor (hell it's bound to sound better than the A1 doing the processing/driving). Just need to add a high quality processor, new surrounds and then I'm done:D

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    np mate, shame it was so late or I could have "helped" things along a bit more;)

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I will call a few dealers up later in the week (once the sinking feeling has embedded) to see if any bargains are available on thw TAG processor (or amp for that matter!!!)

SMP - the dealer gave me 33+% of US list price - but there are others who are willing to match it - you just have to haggle a bit. Regarding the subwoofer - am still waiting for a definative answer on whether the dealer can supply me with a 230v one - seems to be yes and no at the moment - he is visiting the factory this week and has promised to put an order down if they are willing to supply one. Will let you know on Saturday at the latest. Apologies for the delay.

21. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Rags, personally I would wait a while on the Tag. It will be a while before the price decrease filters through, especially if planning on buying 2nd hand (and I wouldn't buy this brand new anyway).

btw, quick suggestion if you want a Rotel RMB 1075. Try Leicester Hi-Fi (type it in Google and you'll find their website), call them and ask for Jim: friendly bloke and excellent customer service and they're in their "summer sale" if you know what I mean;)

Was about to buy one from Sevenoaks in Maidstone but they wouldn't budge on the £845 RRP.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It has been confirmed today that Tag will be ceasing production. In the past many well known names that have hit financial problems have had the name bought out by the Richer Sounds Group.

You never know but they may take over the Tag name and start selling their processors with a free Sherwood power amp.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This announcement was made to all authorised dealers today :-

From its inception in 1998, TAG McLaren Audio Ltd. has dedicated itself to producing the finest quality audio and audio visual equipment available. The standard and quality of our products have been evident through the numerous awards of excellence and countless exceptional product reviews.

“However, the present world economy has had a significant impact on the market for high quality audio and audio visual products and this has made it increasingly difficult to operate on commercially acceptable margins consistent with the levels of development investment required.

“It is for these reasons that TAG McLaren Audio Ltd. will cease development of new products and will forthwith commence a full strategic review of its continued participation in the audio and audio visual markets.

“Warranty, repair services and a helpdesk facility will continue to be available, whatever the outcome of the new strategic review.

“Products already introduced into the market and their relevant, existing upgrades will remain available for the time being.

“The following hardware upgrades are almost completed and will be made available shortly: Software upgrade ‘Height Channel’ for the AV32R DP/AV192R and for the time being the Video Scaler Module VSM2048 for the AV192R.

“An improved sales margin of 41.5% will be applied to all shipments leaving after 28.07.2003.

“Any orders placed with us and not yet delivered have been suspended, awaiting further instructions from the dealer.

Dr. Udo Zucker, Chief Executive Office, TAG McLaren Audio Ltd.”

Nice of Tag to tell us all the dealer margins :D

24. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Without wishing to sound pedantic, I think you will find the 850's are a replacement for the discontinued S125's just as the 650's are a replacement for the discontinued S85's. The rather fine 750 THX Select's remain in production.

Matt.

25. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  26. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    MattF - You pedant ;)

You're right though! :D

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Isn't that illegal :confused:

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    It is a good deal but I you can never be sure of the source when buying from ebay. Also M&K void the warranty if you do not have a valid receipt from an authorised dealer (I checked with them direct). Call a few M&K authorised dealers in the US - you will pick them up for under $1,000 easily - brand new + you will have the security of a worldwide warranty.

29. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rags,
    i am considering importing an M&K system fron the USA - have a willing friend in Chicago.
    can you help me with a couple of things:
    does this sound a reasonable price -

Here are the prices you requested:
    K7 x 3 @_$229 each = $687
    K4 x 2 = $429
    K10 = $569
    ST BT 5_x 3 pair @ $45 per pair = $135
    Total price = $1820 (not including tax or shipping) £1136 - £970 with K5s
    Total shipping weight ~ 70 lbs

how much are local taxes
    who did you ship with
    how much did it cost
    how long did it take

sorry for the barrage of Q's
    thanks a lot
    warboy

30. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Warboy - someone bought over my speakers so I am not sure of shipping rates. If the dealer does not have them in stock they can normally get them from the State distributor within 2 weeks (depends on model)

I am not the authority on M&K prices but I think you can do better - your getting about an 8% discount and on the whole package you should target to get 20% at least. Go to the M&K website and call a few dealers in Chicago and play them off one another. Don't discuss individual speaker prices with them - ask them for a phone quote for the whole thing and when they come back with a price tell them that you have been quoted $1600 (or something like that). You will get a few who will match or beat it. Better still get your friend to do it as they obviously prefer local sales.

I am not sure about local taxes in Chicago but I think they vary between 4 and 10% in the States. You will have to pay this unless you can get the dealer to ship direct to your UK address.

Also I assume the K10 is 110v ?