1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K 750THX Speakers: comments & opinions ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brendon, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Brendon

Brendon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone have & would care to comment on M&K's 750THX Select speaker system ?

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my speakers next year, and these are the current front runners.

Cheers,

Bren

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Brendon, I have the front three of the 750 THX Select system and they are awesome - pretty compact but they create a huge, wide soundstage. Perfect monitor speakers really, not bright themselves but if the recording is not up to scratch then you soon know about it i.e. they don't hide anything.

Build quality wise they are outstanding just don't expect to get any discounts on them.

They're pretty good in stereo as well - they perhaps haven't quite got the pinpoint imaging of the best hifi designs but they are perfectly acceptable in this role and really come into their own for movies.

I haven't got the matching surround speakers because I've already got the KEF THX di-poles but I believe the M&K surrounds that come in the package (SS550s?) are very impressive anyway. Having said that, M&K have just lauched a small tri-pole that would probably be even better but at £695 a pair they aint cheap.

The only part of the package you may wish to avoid is the VX1250THX sub - it's not that it's a bad unit but I understand that either the VX100 or the MX70B are better options, certainly when it comes to music.

Finally, there are loads of reviews of this package on audioreview.com - check it out.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

3. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the sub mentioned, and agree about music- but it is brilliant for films (although I would imagine the others mentioned are even er brillianter)- but this is only when used with non LFE music sources, the Eagles DTS DVD sounds superb and the faster bass of Underworlds new one is also handled without fuss.

As for CDs- then Id recommend not using ANY sub and sticking with stereo, a demo of this prompted us to buy a pair of B&W CDM7 for music and cinema use.

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned the system the week they came out in the UK at DAC in Glasgow.

The set up was a Harmon Kardon Dolby Digital Amp, not THX. It sounded awful. The system was so sharp that IMOP it needs to be attached to a THX amp which will allow you to take the edges of the sound. When the AMP switched over to a THX Amp they were quite stunning.

------------------
    Stewart C

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would say that the bright/sharp demo that Stewart heard was, almost without doubt, the fault of the amp - one thing the M&Ks do need is lots of power - they are not an easy load (4ohms I believe) and do not therefore match up very well with budget amplifiers.

I drive mine with a Rotel RB985MKII THX power amp that outputs something like 130 watts per channel and can cope with almost any speakers. I don't however use a THX processor, just Rotel's 966 DD/DTS model, but with those two units the M&Ks don't sound bright at all (and, believe me, I detest bright speakers). They do sound incredibly clear and open, mind you. I'm not saying that THX processing doesn't have its benefits in this respect but from my experience the M&Ks sound fine without it as long as they're on the end of quality gear.

As for Duncan's comments on the B&W CDM7s, I'm sure they sound better with music but when it comes to movies the M&Ks will almost certainly have the edge - it's all down to priorities I guess.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

6. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Matt in the majority. I too have M&K Speakers and I think they are the clearest most cinematic speakers I have ever heard. Some people demand a warmer sound but my thinking is to try and recreate the cinema. The sound is not all that warm in the cinema, it can be dry but always clear and vibrant with bass when necessary. I have to say my M&K sub is just wonderful with movies and music the only thing is this, I get lots more bass in my living room that I ever get in a cinema. My sub is set up correctly as is the crossover and a perfect SPL meter reading. Just a thought when I am talking about recreating the cinema.

You are also right about the Harmon Kardon Amp, it really killed the 750's for me it was a shame 'cos I was about to buy the lot but opted for SS-150THX's. I only ever heard the speakers on a THX amp and as I said they sounded wonderful after this. Maybe I should have asked for a demo on a big Yamaha or something.

Too late now !!

------------------
    Stewart C

7. Brendon

Brendon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Many thanks for the opinions - I'm going to audition the speakers at the nearest THX retailer.
    I'm intending on connecting them to my Pioneer VSX908 THX amp (bought well before everyone started giving them away free in cereal boxes!). I'm assuming that relative to the current crop of high to mid range gear my amp wouldn't qualify as budget range ?

Bren