M & K 5100/DD18?

DustySox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to add a dedicated LFE sub. I have M & K 150's/SS150's and two M & K 350's. I got married four weeks ago, and ""she" who must be obeyed is happy for the extra sub (thats why I married her!!!).

Anyone have any thoughts on these two subs??

Kind regards

Darren

What are the two 350's doing if they aren't dedicated LFE subs already ?

Multiple subs need very careful setting up otherwise you could end up with less bass and not more so I would guess (and it is only a guess) that the DD-18 would be the easiest to integrate fully due to it's room equalisation facilities

Hi Darren,

I do not think that there will be many people out there that will of head the new M&K 5100 but i am sure that it will be an exceptional sub, but what i can say is that the Velodyne DD range of subs are extremly powerful and the DD18 is probably the best sub out there and you would not be dissapointed with it's performance, i would see if you could get to demo both subs and try and judge for you're self either way both subs will give you what you are looking for... :thumbsup:

Regards
John

Ian J said:
Multiple subs need very careful setting up otherwise you could end up with less bass and not more so I would guess (and it is only a guess) that the DD-18 would be the easiest to integrate fully due to it's room equalisation facilities

What Ian has mentioned is also a very good point and the EQ would probably be a very welcome feature to youre setup ! :)

Mornin'

I have heard both the Velodyne DD18 and the M&K 5100. I personnally would go for the 5100 as it was just awsome (that is if your room can take it's size!) I loved the DD18, who wouldn't! but the 5100 has serious trouser flapping power and a punch in the chest like you wouldn't believe. It will out perform two MX350's aswell!

I did hear the two subs at diffenet times and with different eqiupment so some people might say my opinion is worth nought, but for initial impressions the 5100 hit the spot. It was also straight out of the box with about 2 hours of running in!!! Where as the DD18 was a well run in demo unit.

Regards

Hayes - I thought i would ask, do you know where the new M&K 5100 can be demoed at present ? as i would love to hear this sub in action.. :)

Hi guys,

Thankyou to one and all for the replies.

I am using my two M & K 350's in conjunction with my Lexicon MC 12 vers 2 software. Which I hope to update to vers 5 soon.

The 350's are connected to sub left/right outputs of the MC 12, and i have "Y" split out of the LFE output of the MC 12 also to the subs, and enabled LFE output on the Lex. With vers 5 software I'm going for the Lexicon EQ/mics software/hardware. So how would that get on with Velodyne EQ software?

Don't get me wrong it sounds fab. It just that "he who must be obeyed" has other plans with our (her!!) money!

atb

Darren

Hi Darren,

I am useing the Velodyne DD12 with my G68 and the meridian has room EQ so i have both options which gives you the best of both worlds.

I actually use the DD's own EQ (<80Hz) for the sub and use the Meridian's EQ (80- 250Hz) for the 5 other speakers which is working very well and have an excellent response in my room useing this combination, or i could just bypass the DD's software and use the meridian EQ only, it just gives me alot more options for a great sound... :thumbsup:

Edit : BTW the version 5 update for the Lexicon looks to be quite a nice upgrade indeed and the EQ system sounds pretty cool too... :)

Regards
John

recruit said:
Hayes - I thought i would ask, do you know where the new M&K 5100 can be demoed at present ? as i would love to hear this sub in action.. :)

Guess i'll just give Gecko a call then.. :rolleyes:

Gecko have a contact form on their website here and you can use this to ask them for details of the nearest M&K stockist or indeed any other question you may wish to ask them

Mornin'

Sorry, been out of the office the last few days on a Home Cinema install.

I'm a little wary of the rule 7 at the mo. I have organised a loan set of 150's for a demo and am trying to secure a 5100 at the same time! if you are interested.

Regards

Hayes - we appreciate that you don't post in the general forums to solicit business but I don't see any problem with answering any questions that have been directed to yourselves by forum members

Hi
I have an MC12 , M & k 150's and I have just bought the 5100. I was going to go down the two x mx350 route as my room is approx 5000sq ft volume.
All I can say is I'm so glad I bought the 5100. Its awsome.
Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom