1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K 1250THX

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by braidkid, Mar 14, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I currently have the Infinity TSS-750 speaker package and am considering trading the sub that came with the system up for a M&K 1250THX sub. I am under the impression that a different brand sub will not create any timbre matching problems with my current surround sound speakers. Is this correct? My current sub only goes down to 34 Hz and I want one that goes down to 20 Hz.

I have to admit I am drawn to the M&K 1250 because of its THX select certification and am trying to match that of my Yamaha THX select reciever. Are there other subs around $1k that would be better? Is THX select certification worth the hype?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Timbre matching of subwoofers to speakers isn't an issue so you can buy whatever subwoofer you like.

There are two different schools of thought about whether the THX certification is worthwhile on subs and I always think it rather incongruous that so many people are so vocal in support of their own THX certified sub but they haven't bothered with THX certified components elsewhere in the audio chain.

The M&K sub is an excellent sub irrespective of certification but I believe that you are posting from USA where you have a much wider range of good quality subs than us poor Brits and even the internet direct manufacturers are much cheaper for you as you don't have to pay huge shipping costs.

3. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the best forum I've found on audio related topics. Does anyone know of a good US based forum?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  5. Benc3

Benc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a M&K v1250. (I am in the UK)

For 2005 they have uprated the amplification (and temporarily lost the THX certificate - I am assured they are getting it re-done with the new amp).

It's a excellent piece of kit. Very well made and very responsive. But I use it with M&K speakers and only for home cinema so I can't really comment how it sounds with other manafacturers kit or with music.

In theory timbre shouldn't be an issue so long as the sub has plenty of adjustability to blend it in.

As for THX, it used to be that you could flick a switch and the THX settings would match those required by the THX amp..useful, but restricting if you wanted to fiddle. The v1250 I have actually just has 'reference' marked on the dials on the back so if I want THX I set to that but can still adjust if I want.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My M&K sub blends in seamlessly with my B&W 805S's so no problems with partnering it with other kit.

Cheers