1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M J Acoustics Reference 100 any good ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Turb007, May 23, 2004.

1. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Hi

I fancy one of these and would like opinions of peeps who own one ( or have owned and sent back ) ;)

Before i buy can anyone compare this to a MS 309 ? it does seem to go lower than the 309 from the specs.

Also where to buy....i see them everywhere for 350 in black but being the bargain hunter i am only want to pay 350 for wood finish.

tia

Turb

2. amackie

amackie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creative Audio normally include "free" cable, spike set and coasters worth £63 with the Ref-100. If you contact them and ask for it without all the freebies (and plead poverty), they may reduce the price by up to £50. Then again, you might decide you want all the freebies!

See http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/MJACOUST2.htm

I'd be interested in any comparisons between the Ref-100 and the MS309 as well - these are the two subs on my shortlist.

3. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Running two MJ Ref 100's with my setup (Mision 783s x2, 78c x 1, M7ds x 4, ms 781 x2).

I have them both running on the LFE signal and also via high level feeds. One via Neutrik from 783's and 1 via Neutrik on the 78c.

They are very easy to set up for both movie (add a good extra kick) and music modes (smooth bottom end support that is easily integrated).

They won't shake your house apart, but neither are they just loud and boomy. They offer a fairly tight / detailed sound and more than adequate for the traditional uk room (circa 5m x 5m).

Upgraded from an MSW20 and consider it money well spent.

Regards,

Chris L.

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By all accounts the MJ Acoustics specs aren't really believed when it comes to frequency response...

What HiFi did a review of various subs a couple of months back, one of the things they mentioned with the MJ Pro50 (or maybe 100) they tested was how low it DIDN'T go - the manufacturers claimed it went down to ~ 14 Hz...

5. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated also due to extra funds becomming available today its now between the MJ reference 1 MK II and the REL Strata V :devil: