1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M-Audio Revo review @ The Tech Report

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MuFu, Apr 4, 2003.

1. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,696
    Not a bad review, mine arrives tomorrow so I'll see. One thing that came out of the review was that the card has no internal connector for eg DVD drive, what are the implications of that exactly?

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No implications - audio can be block-mode read off a DVD/CD and passes through the IDE then PCI bus to your soundcard. This is the prefered method for audio transfer and no internal connections should be needed - WinXP has this feature (they call is "Digital CD Audio") enabled by default... not sure about other products.

Yeah - not a bad review. Was more interested in the game benchmarks than anything else. Not sure I'd ever trust a comparative listening test that uses a £100 4.1 PC speaker system (not too bothered they didn't test 24b/96k material because of that fact)! :D

It's possible they are perceiving the A2's slightly sparkly top end for "better clarity" with certain material. The Revo is probably more neutral, not that the A2 is a bad card at all in terms of analogue output (I have one, heh).

MuFu.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,696
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use the digital coax output AND the analog outputs on this card at the same time? I'm not sure whether it will be best to send CD output to my amp via digital coaxial or use the analog outputs and if it will output both then it will be easy to compare them.

Cheers,
    Andy.