M and K THX select

garylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
How do you rate the above speaker package?
Is in a different league to the highly rated S-85 speakers?
Forgive me if this is forbiden but in a effort to save a few pounds I was thinking of using a Paradigm Servo 15 sub instead of the M and k is this a no no?.
Thanks
Gary

I've asked both Gecko and M&K tech support the question about integrating the Servo 15 with their own sat's (as well as a few other people who have the Servo) the overwhelming response is a definite yes. There will be no problem integrating a sub of this quality with M&K speakers, it is arguably better than their own MX350, a £2K sub.

As always though use your own ears.

Steve

Yes for what it is worth i have reasonable experience with many sub's and have owned quite a few, and whilst still respecting the quality that is REL i sold both of my REL's to own two of the far superior Servo 15's, a truly great sub without peers until about the BPS400 mark (mirage) if your H/C can accomodate them then they really are a no brainer and as earlier stated, only the range topping M.k's can compete (if you want M.K) IMHO.

SteveEX

Regarding the difference between the S750 system and the S85 system.

The speakers use totally different drive units. The S750's use the same units as the LCR55's and are designed to be as cinematic as possible at it's price point. The system has incredible imaging and dynamics, and as a system you'll find the speakers disappear sonically, letting you get on with enjoying the film, rather than listening to the system.

However, the S85's (and the bigger S125's) share the same drive units and design philosophy as the studio reference S150's. They won't go as loud as the S150 or be quite as dynamic, but the balance is very similar. The S85 (and better) sounds fantastic on 2 channel music as well as movies. Just make sure the sub is very good. The Paradigm is a good subwoofer, and whilst M&K and Paradigm disagree in terms of design ideas, it will integrate fine. Enjoy!

We have our own section on this forum so I look forward to helping further over there.

Just to say that I second Pauls post. For me the S85's are in a class above. If you do end up with the Selects, make sure your room is not too 'live' as the Selects are very bright and have quite a sharp edge to them.

Eric

Thanks guys!!
Good to know that I can use the Servo 15 with the M and ks.
I understand I should get a copy of the Haunting to hear some earth moving LFE,shame the film is so bad.
I will have to get a Demo of both sets of speakers side by side,I will let you know how I get on.
Retro can you help out here?
Cheers for the info everyone.
Gary

Gary: I can happily help out. One minor probem is that we don't keep the 750 Select speakers in store. We have the S85 with S55 tripoles and the K-series K3 system on demo. These can be listened to with either the V125 or VX100 subs (or the K9!).

The 750 are so sharp they gave me a headache. Went for the S-85 and now have the S-125.

Gary

I have the THX select speakers and find them to be excellent for movies. I use them 95% of the time for movies and do not listen to music much.

As Eric has mentioned, the room in which speakers are installed will make a difference to the sound produced. I do not find them too bright and like the sound produced.

The M&K web site has the instruction manual to both s85 & 750thx available to download, if you want to read about them.

I could be mistaken but I think they use the same tweeter as the s150 speakers.(PC please correct me if I am wrong)

I have heard the s85 speakers and they also sound good and are a similar price.

As for sub, I cannot comment on the servo 15 as I have not heard it but I went for the mx350 sub.

Your right about the bass on the Haunting dvd, another good example for bass 'fun' is Rush Hour 2's explosion scenes along with Episode 1, Jurassic Park 3, Toy Story 2..

Good luck

Mahmood

Thanks to all for the help.
Retro,I am due sometime off work soon.I will give you a call and we can work something out.
Mahmood thanks for the Dvd tips.
Cheers
Gary

Gary: Look forward to seeing you.

Everyone: I went looking for a copy of SW EP1 last week for demo usage in the shop, couldn't find a copy of it anywhere. Got a copy of JPIII though, that is good!

Originally posted by acave
The 750 are so sharp they gave me a headache. Went for the S-85 and now have the S-125.

I don't find the 750THXs at all bright - they are very detailed but not bright and, believe me, I hate bright speakers - I once had to sell a pair of Mission 770 Freedoms after only a few weeks because of this.

I do know, however, that the 750THXs can sound pretty nasty if you stick them on the end of a lower powered amp/receiver - I use a Rotel RB985MKII THX power amp and they sound just fine.

As for the drive units, accordng to M&Ks website - "the LCR750THX utilizes the same tweeter and Phase-Focused crossover found in our reference S-150THX speakers" - so that answers that one.

I can highly recommend the 750THXs but I'd definitely also check out the S85s, especially if you listen to a lot of 2 channel music.

Sorry guys but the S-85's do it for me every time. The 750 Select drove me nuts. My mate who is sensitive to some high frequencies had to leave the room. They were just not long out of the box which did not help but wayyyy too bright for me.

The S-85's are class leading (Price/performance) in my opinion.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom