1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lyp sinc.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by superaffordable, Mar 14, 2003.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Who is to be blame for no lip syncronisation?
    is it the dvd player, the receiver or the TV

The reason I ask is because since I believe that the problem is on the TV and since I cannot see this problem at all in my plasma, I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) that I could safely switch my dvd player or actual amplifier (Thecnis hi-fi, dvd) without start noticing a fault in the future.

Am I wright?

Thanks

* When I say switch I meant buy a different one to replace the old one

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Umm, the answer is it depends on what you're using. Let me give you an example.

Lip sync problems can arise in two main ways (that I can think of).

1. Dodgy soundtrack dubbing.

Some films on DVD are notorious for shabby lip-sync. Some films exhibit it throughout, others perhaps only on certain scenes where the editing was none too clever.

2. Progressive processing

Some devices will process the video signal to convert it into a "progressively scanned" signal. This can happen in a progressive capable DVD player, or in a plasma screen that has its own onboard picture processing gubbins. What's happening is that during the time it takes to generate the progressive video signal, the audio gets ever so slightly out of step with the image that you see.

To counteract this, some processors & AV amps/receivers incorporate a facility that allows you to delay the audio by a certain amount. This then allows you to "re-synchronise" the audio with the video side of things. I should also add that some DVD players delay the audio themselves, removing the need to do this externally.

If would help us if you could summarise how you have your kit setup and what films you're experiencing this issue with. Is it all films, R1 or R2 only?

Also, what kind of a TV are you using? Does it incorporate 100Hz scanning or anything else that's similar?

3. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AOD

I am afraid that I may has confused you due to the way my post read

I am not experiencing any problems regarding this so I dont need to correct anything just yet

Just now I use a hi-fi/dvd player with 5.1 surround (Thechnics SV...) and a LG plasma

I know whan to buy the Pionner 2011 but since I read that they dont have the ability to sort the lyp-sin problem, should this happen, hence I was wanting to know where the root of the problem (if there is a problem) come from

What I mean is that if up to date I not being experiencing this problem, but swaping av equipment, I suppose the problem will not appear due to this

Thanks for your answer

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to clarify things:

1. Currently you're viewing stuff on your LG plasma screen.
    2. You don't have an issue with lip-sync at present.

This being the case, changing your receiver shouldn't make any difference. Changing your DVD player *could* make a difference if you switched to one that supplies a "progressive" image to your plasma (assuming it can accept such a signal). If it doesn't output a progressive signal, then you probably won't observe any difference.

Depending on the processing being performed within a plasma, some people do detect a lip-sync issue. This is especially true when the plasma is performing some kind of "pull-down" detection & processing on NTSC or PAL material. If you do a search in the Plasma forum on "pull down" or "3:2" then you'll see what I mean. On sources where the lip-sync is slightly suspect to begin with (some SKY broadcasts), then this gets really noticeable.

The bottom line is, the more processing that is applied to the video before it gets displayed, the more chance you have of affecting the lip-sync.

5. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your post is quite clear now and totally answer my question

Thanks very much