Lyngdorf.....to bung, or not bung...that is the question.

TommyDog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping that the lyngdorf fans can help me with this one? Tomorrow I have a TDAI 3400 arriving for home demo. So, my Monitor Audio gold 300 5g will be pushed back against the wall (as advised). However I have not read anything about the bass ports and bungs. Do I need them in? Or leave them out? I know it's likely to be subjective, but what is the experience of the lyngdorf veterans?
Thanks in advance...
Tommy.

Hi, I'm hoping that the lyngdorf fans can help me with this one? Tomorrow I have a TDAI 3400 arriving for home demo. So, my Monitor Audio gold 300 5g will be pushed back against the wall (as advised). However I have not read anything about the bass ports and bungs. Do I need them in? Or leave them out? I know it's likely to be subjective, but what is the experience of the lyngdorf veterans?
Thanks in advance...
Tommy.
I recommend keeping the speakers in their original position initially, and using the 3400 just as a regular amp to set a baseline and a like for like comparison to what you’re using at the moment.

Then push them back to the front wall and run Room Perfect. If they’re rear ported then the recommendation is to leave ~5cm gap, but don’t use the bungs. You want maximum output from the speakers at all frequencies and leave it to Room Perfect to remove any excess bass.

Thank you for that...Made me think, rather than just blundering in and convincing myself spending 5k was a panacea for everything. It's amazing how easy it is for excitement to overcome common sense. Top marks for a valued reply. Thank you again 👍

Interested in how you get on with the Lyngdorf. I have the MA Gold 200's on my speaker shortlist, but heard they aren't the easiest to drive. I'm thinking of picking up the Lyngdorf 1120, but the main thing holding me back at the moment is the feeling that I'll appreciate the power of the 3400 over the longer-term.

Interested in how you get on with the Lyngdorf. I have the MA Gold 200's on my speaker shortlist, but heard they aren't the easiest to drive. I'm thinking of picking up the Lyngdorf 1120, but the main thing holding me back at the moment is the feeling that I'll appreciate the power of the 3400 over the longer-term.
At the moment the 300's are driven by Roksan Caspian integrated on the treble/mid and the matching power amp on the bass....They drive them very well and I like the sound, but ultimately I feel they do not do the speakers justice. The monitor audio's are just something else.
In addition they are situated in a room I think will benefit from the room perfect feature on the Lyngdorf. I shall bob my thoughts on the thread once I get to have a few days with the Lyngdorf 👍

I got a 2170 and was worried that I should have got the 3400 for the extra power. I have never once got close to having such thoughts again since it is up and running - it is more than powerful enough for my 30m2 listening room. I get the impression the 3400 will drive just about anything, also in a larger room.

We have just installed a Lyngdorf 3400 in our demo room, running a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 802D3. The results are phenomenal. The 3400 replaced a Devialet D-Premier, no slouch of an amplifier by any standards. I have never heard the D3's sound so good.
The integration with the SVS SB3000 subwoofer we run is sublime. Crossovers and time alignment excellent. Bass is now one entity.
Any smear from the top end is gone, again timing is excellent, focus is much better and so too imaging which a much larger soundstage.
If we can assist with any Lyngdorf enquires, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Well, I've had the demo unit for almost two weeks now. I'll be honest, when I swapped it out for the Roksan amps I was completely underwhelmed. It was not the step up I expected in terms of sound, which to me shows how good the Caspian M2 gear is.

However, working from the advice given on this thread I ran it for a good day to establish a baseline. I then pushed the speakers back, ran room perfect and began listening all over again.
It took a few days, but then I began noticing "texture" within the bass and guitar lines, little taps on the cymbals and drums .....some guy standing at the back with a triangle.....sounds just began appearing...

It became even better when I hooked the M2 cd player to the amp with an optical cable. The difference between dacs is subtle, but the inbuilt in the Lyngdorf is just that little bit brighter and more detailed than the Roksan item.

Back in 1988 I bought a Honda CRX....it was a cracking little car with a reasonably decent radio/cassette. Quite often on my way to work I would listen to an album called About Face by Dave Gilmour. The second track in is called "Murder". It's a great track that has some cymbal hits that I used to hear loud and clear in the car, but no matter what my system was at home, they were (almost) missing, drowned out by the rest of the music. All of a sudden they're back!

Even Mrs Tommy Dog has noticed the difference which is high praise Indeed. I could go on about the flexibility of inputs, different ESP settings etc.....the fact is, no matter what the source, even poorly recorded music can be made acceptable with this amp. Anyway...my new one arrives tomorrow.

For a tight Yorkshire git to be delving so deep into his pockets says it all really. Believe me....try one....buy one.... I did. 👍

I've done a ridiculous amount of testing with the Lyngdorf and RP. Over the last week I've done dozens of different measurements with my speakers in all sorts of places.

Personally I've found that I get the best results with my D7's 22cm off the wall.

I've just set up the new amp that arrived this morning to replace the demo I had. I have already noticed a difference in sound. One thing that did happen, perhaps due to a software update was the new amp required me to set the volume at -18db before I ran room perfect. The demo didn't do that. I did feel the volume was low when I set it last time. Anyway, the new unit seems to be more .... expansive...than the demo. There is more bass for definite, but it isn't drowning out the upper registers... All good so far 👍.

One question for the Lyngdorf vets: I noticed there is a new software update on the Lyngdorf site.....what is the best way update? Via memory stick, or straight via the web? Many thanks in advance. Tommy.

Lyngdorf updates work so just go with the web version - that's why its there, to make life easy

I've done a ridiculous amount of testing with the Lyngdorf and RP. Over the last week I've done dozens of different measurements with my speakers in all sorts of places.

Personally I've found that I get the best results with my D7's 22cm off the wall.
And how good are the best results....?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom