Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 or Arcam SA30

craig808

Hi all

I've currently got the Arcam SA30 on demo and I'm very impressed with the sonic qualities compared to the CXA80 that it's replaced. I've got just under 3 weeks left to take it back if needs be.

So while I'm upgrading it's got me thinking about what other options could become better. At a push I could put the extra money towards and get the Lyngdorf.

Has anyone on here had experience with both amps. With the SA30 being relatively new I'm guessing not many people will have back-to-backed both models but if anyone has, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

DT79

Distinguished Member
I haven’t compared the two, but the 2170 is great, and having used both Dirac with my AVR390 and RoomPerfect with the 2170, I much prefer RP in terms of end results and use.

The 2170 doesn’t have a network connection so you’d need another device for streaming.

craig808

I haven’t compared the two, but the 2170 is great, and having used both Dirac with my AVR390 and RoomPerfect with the 2170, I much prefer RP in terms of end results and use.

The 2170 doesn’t have a network connection so you’d need another device for streaming.

I've got a Node2 which i could use so that's fine.

From what i see, the Lyngdorf is highly rated.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Over the last 18 months, I've tried stereo via my Arcam AVR850 with Dirac, Lyngdorf 2170 and Lyngdorf 3400. I never liked the Arcam with Dirac in my room. I just could never get it sounding right to my ears. I found the Lyngdorf amps to be far better, especially as RoomPerfect gave far superior results in my room.

There wasn't much in it regarding the 2170 vs 3400, but I went for the 3400 as it suited my requirements better, e.g. bigger display, network connection, more power, etc. I've not regretted getting my 3400 for a millisecond. Absolutely love it. :D

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are using a digital source you'll get much cleaner clearer sound with the Lyngdorf amp due to the simpler signal path of Equibit amps. RoomPerfect is far better than Dirac, so you really should get a home trial.

The new Lyngdorf TDAi1120 streaming amp with Equibit design and RoomPerfect is now shipping at £1,995.

craig808

If you are using a digital source you'll get much cleaner clearer sound with the Lyngdorf amp due to the simpler signal path of Equibit amps. RoomPerfect is far better than Dirac, so you really should get a home trial.

The new Lyngdorf TDAi1120 streaming amp with Equibit design and RoomPerfect is now shipping at £1,995.

As much as I love digital amps so I'm able to implement dsp, rew etc. I'd be interested in how the 2 amps would sound in "direct " mode with no rew.

DT79

Distinguished Member
As much as I love digital amps so I'm able to implement dsp, rew etc. I'd be interested in how the 2 amps would sound in "direct " mode with no rew.
The 2170 doesn’t sound like anything. You really need to hear it to fully appreciate how transparent it is.

BillyHunt

Hi interested on where you landed with your selection as interested in both Lyngdorf and Arcam but reluctant with the latter following reviews and reading the feedback from owners. I’ve moved away from 5.1 to 2.1 format for music and watching cable tv and movies but also looking to stream music via a service provider eg tidal/quboz.

BillyHunt

Hi interested on where you landed with your selection as interested in both Lyngdorf and Arcam but reluctant with the latter following reviews and reading the feedback from owners. I’ve moved away from 5.1 to 2.1 format for music and watching cable tv and movies but also looking to stream music via a service provider eg tidal/quboz.
PS currently use B&W 804d and REL S3 sub

larkone

Distinguished Member
@Billy Hunt Contact one of the dealers that frequent the Lyngdorf threads (there are several) and get yourself a home trial.

madfiddler

In case you haven’t already discovered it, you might find it useful having a nose about on The unofficial Arcam SA30 community

…just bear in mind people are posting Arcam SA30 s/w issues there.

there is a thread with input from people who decided they can’t live with the s/w quirks and bugs and returned their SA30 and pretty sure the Lyngdorf comes up as an alternative (actually the same people may have posted the same on here). I recall reading more than once that whilst preferring the Arcam sound, those that had switched were happier overall because had low tolerance for s/w not being perfect.

of course the sound you like may be different to others and there are your speakers and room to consider. I can’t comment on Dirac versus RoomPerfect but don’t feel I need correction in my room with my SA30 which I am more than happy with the sound of with few s/w issues impacting me regularly or frequently enough to worry about the same way others have/are.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom