Quantcast

Lyngdorf MP-60 Processor

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to the full details of this processor being unveiled. The simplicity of Room Perfect is one attraction, as is the 16 discrete channel feature set.

Last edited:

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’ve yet to hear a system in a regular sized room that I think benefited from more than 11 channels if the room isn't over treated.

I like the idea of being able to leave a system in DTS-X Pro and leaving it to upmix everything so I can see this is a potential upgrade from the MP50 for those who like to listen to stereo sources in multi channel.

Having said that I’d guess Dolby will have this option too in the future.

IWC Dopplel

I'd be interested to know how it compares sonically and what other changes have been made. Any news on price, the MP-50 is punchy in the UK compared to the US

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Might as well drop this in here as well.

I fully intend to put the MP50, MP60 and the Trinnov 16 thru their paces in my own room in the near future. Given some forum posts and recent noises from CEDIA also.

I will keep my bubble more objective by recruiting other knowledgeable forum members to help me with REW (@arisholm ) and even some well recorded music ( @Steve413 ) as what I listen to isn't very transparent - and whichever one I keep I will give reasons for, but the focus will mainly be for movies.

And a bit of JVC N7 action TBC and maybe I can get Arrow-Av to calibrate it, if I take him to an adventure playground somewhere.

I'm going to try and hear the Trinnov as well before I put it in my room. I did also consider the Storm.. I dunno, I know I like it but I don't see any situation where it's better than the Lyngdorf. I'm also really busy at work so how long it all takes, I'm not sure.

Also I'll be trying custom Lyngdorf voicing's from @Rob Sinden and Arrow AV. All gear lovingly supplied by @Seriously Ltd

Ashmanuk

@arisholm has a fantastic approach to REW and setting up speakers/subs before running Roomperfect.
Really looking forward to your views/results @Rock Danger

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
@arisholm has a fantastic approach to REW and setting up speakers/subs before running Roomperfect.
Really looking forward to your views/results @Rock Danger

For sure, he has that level of tism about it that I don't and it'll make learning it a lot more fun and much easier. I'll probably also demo the mp60 and Trinnov at Seriously Cinema as well and I got some stuff to see and hear at Gecko next week, with filters and projectors and some sausages.

May demo the big 8ch Lyngdorf amp as well altho I'm perfectly happy with the SDA'S.

orange55

I’ve yet to hear a system in a regular sized room that I think benefited from more than 11 channels if the room isn't over treated.

I like the idea of being able to leave a system in DTS-X Pro and leaving it to upmix everything so I can see this is a potential upgrade from the MP50 for those who like to listen to stereo sources in multi channel.

Having said that I’d guess Dolby will have this option too in the future.
Are there plans to bring the software upgrades to the MP-50?

Room, eArc?

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Has anyone heard about the firmware ETA for DTS:X Pro support?
It is scheduled for release this summer via a firmware update.

G Rex

Rob Sinden mentioned back in Sept 2019, that there was something coming for the MP platforms that would cause a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I assume this will be added via FW upgrade. Is this the forthcoming DTS:X Pro FW coming or is it something else? Can Rob or Richard elaborate a bit? Other than DTS:X Pro, both Lyngdorf and McIntosh have been very tight lipped with FW improvements/features they are working on.

Thanks

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
MP60:
DTS: X Pro
Roon

MP50:
Roon
Identical firmware as MP60

That’s all I’m aware of. Sound reproduction is already second to none.

Aussie Nutter

Standard Member
Hey Rock,

I will be very keen to hear your thoughts on the Trinnov and Lyngdorf,

I have pretty much decided it will be either that goes into my HT, however I have no hope on demoing either before committing so it will be one gigantic leap of faith...

The SSP is the last component I need to decide on...everything else is already installed or still boxed,

Here in Australia RRP on the MP-60 is AUD20k, while the Altitude 16 is about AUD25k

Cheers,

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
@Aussie Nutter

Of the many times I've heard the Trinnov i can't recommend it. It didn't sound bad and certainly moved everything around the room, but it has always been very ordinary sounding.. it's like an Arcam only better.

Of course it boasts more flexibility because it can get software updates for new codecs without changing the chipset and this is true, however the only real upgrade worth worrying about is the HDMI board as that has continually been a thorn for every processor owner.

There's also an air of superiority and mysticism about it, that to get the best sound you need special professionals to set it up - it's just not the case.

The MP60 sounds better, it's easier set up and should handle anything you need to do with it for a good while - there's not much to dislike here. Room Perfect gives pretty consistent results across the board and it's a snap to run - just look at the Lyngdorf thread here compared to literally anything else.

Based on sound, the other thing I'd demo would be the Storm Audio - Dirac based and it's sounded very well every time I've heard it - my knowledge of it stops there tho, because I've never sat down with one and diddled into the menus.

I do know that Storm are good with updates, with a 2.1 hdmi board in development (Lyngdorf too) and also quite uniquely a return of OSD to an HDMI 2.0b device - something that has alluded every manufacturer so far the plays 4K 60 HDR.

Honestly, they'll all do the job well - you can't demo which for this money is a bit mad - gun to my head it would still be the Lyngdorf even today or at least a coin toss with the Storm.

joerod

Standard Member
As a owner of the McIntosh MX160 and now the 170 I have to agree with you on Room Perfect. And yes I have heard many other competing brands as well and I still favor the MX170 with all its features and of course sound quality.

:)

StephanG

I have pretty much decided it will be either that goes into my HT, however I have no hope on demoing either before committing so it will be one gigantic leap of faith...
Check the Lyngdorf thread. If I remember correctly, there's a Wilson speaker owner who's owned a MP50 and got an A16 for home demo over a longer period of time. There's also someone who owned Lyngdorf, Bryston (Storm) and now Trinnov, IIRC.

Aussie Nutter

Standard Member
Thanks to you all for the responses...I will look forward to seeing the upcoming review On the MP-60

I was meaning to send my thanks earlier, but have been traveling in the US, currently in Memphis, but a few days back while in Nashville was hit with the worst case of food poising I have ever had...it was flying from both ends...just wanted to curl up in the fetal position and die,

And then the same night once I had nothing left to give...just after midnight a buzzer goes off in the hotel room, had no idea what the hell it was, but I could hear the same buzzer in the room next door and then holy crap...when they say it sounded like a freight train they aren’t exaggerating...

A tornado ripped through Nashville, wreaked havoc and killed 25, the Hotel was smashed and damage the next morning was unbelievable...our rental was written off with smashed windows and a caved in roof...pretty much every car in the carpark was kaput,

Thank God the good wife and I were OK, but I really feel for the locals...it will take them years to recover,

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What a horror for Memphis. I hope it puts climate change on the top of the bill for the US elections. I’m guessing this means you didn’t get a chance to visit Sun Studios etc.

I just noticed something I posted 6 months ago about 11 channels being the maximum necessary in most home cinemas and I’d like to revise that. I updated one of my systems here with the addition of front width speakers and its made an obvious improvement on lots of content.

I'm updating a second system here to 13 channels next week.

I was using front width speakers 25 years ago with Lexicon processing and it sounded superb for stereo and surround but it was an uphill struggle selling it. Adding more width to your playback system is terrific and if you have the chance to add it to your system, you should give it a try.

With regards the MP60, there are three things about it that I think make it better than any other Processor all of which are a feature of RoomPerfect.
  • RoomPerfect is the only room correction system that preserves the sound of your speakers. All others will change them to try and match a target curve.
  • RoomPerfect is the only correction system that will blend the response of your speakers to your woofers, so the subs seem to disappear. If you can use stereo subs in either front corner of your room you’ll also get true stereo bass down which I've found addictive when you get used to it. Try the scene from House of the Flying Daggers or the Sheffield Labs Drum and Test CD....
  • RoomPerfect is the only correction system that gives optimal results in regular untreated rooms.
Please get a home demo and compare it with other alternatives and lets us know your feedback.

DrGekko

Hey everyone. I feel privileged to post on this forum now that I'm blessed to join the MP60 owner's club.
We've installed the processor along with 6x SDA2400s for 7.4.2 system - powering M&K IW300s, S300Ts and 2 pairs of in-ceiling IW150s I'll be adding a pair of MP950s for wides next week as all.
I have to say that simply running 400W per channel has made a huge difference in the first instance - the clarity is much cleaner and cranking up the volume is absolutely fine without causing listening fatigue. Bass already feels tighter. This is all without even calibrating yet.
I can't wait to run RoomPerfect next week and see what this baby can do!

Aussie Nutter

Standard Member
Rob the tornado was in Nashville, not Memphis, and funny you mention Sun Studios, did that tour yesterday, it was awesome...Graceland wasn’t bad either but boy oh boy that place is one money making machine,

Its terribly sad for those folks that have lost plenty...those that lost loved ones especially...just heart breaking...

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Part of Steve's upcoming review on the MP60

Capture.JPG

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Mind you, he is running them with an MK suite, he must be able to hear thru everything with it.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Maybe he won’t be able to hear the MP60 through the M&Ks because of their neutrality😂