Lyngdorf MP-60 AV Processor Review & Comments

Very nice review!
Bit surprised to read the disfavor of the Acurus ACT-4 in comparison, would love to hear your thoughts on that when the ASPEQT kits hit the market + a review of the more gently priced Muse ;)

Seems the review is echoed among almost all the users too, even with the 2ch TDA series amps. The fact room perfect doesn't require excessive fannying around, be it having to go to multiple forums or call customer support every time something doesn't work out.

Perhaps an interesting addition will be their new power amp... must resist!

Well, I might not resist if people are interested in some used SDA 2400's....

No mention of the Storm Mk2s as an alternative? (Probably the biggest competitor IMHO)

No mention of the Storm Mk2s as an alternative? (Probably the biggest competitor IMHO)

It would be my 2nd choice at this time, but the only posting Storm owner has fell down a rabbit hole trying to get it sounding the way he wants, posting everything and every problem on a few forums.

Setting up Room Perfect couldn't be easier and yields more consistent results across the board if you poll the owners and CI installers.

The Storm is good and I've heard it enough times to confirm this, but Dirac seems to keep evolving before finishing what they were last working on. The horrendous coding on the Arcam and JBL's shows to me that while they have a good RC product, it's just not as polished as RP. It also conforms to the measurement system that Lyngdorf abandoned years ago.

Whether or not you subscribe to all the black magic really doesn't matter when the results seem overwhelmingly positive.

Bit surprised to read the disfavor of the Acurus ACT-4 in comparison, would love to hear your thoughts on that when the ASPEQT kits hit the market + a review of the more gently priced Muse ;)
For me the ACT4 is over-priced and far from user-friendly. It can sound great, but to get the best out of it requires a PhD in applied acoustics!

Seems the review is echoed among almost all the users too, even with the 2ch TDA series amps. The fact room perfect doesn't require excessive fannying around, be it having to go to multiple forums or call customer support every time something doesn't work out.

Perhaps an interesting addition will be their new power amp... must resist!

Well, I might not resist if people are interested in some used SDA 2400's....
Yes, the MP-60 combined with a pair of Lyngdorf's new MXA-8400 8-channel power amps would be an awesome system.

Yes, the MP-60 combined with a pair of Lyngdorf's new MXA-8400 8-channel power amps would be an awesome system.

They've had to jump thru a fair few hoops for this new amp, it should have been out a fair while ago... I do fancy one.. I think it may have to happen, thanks for the extra push :rotfl:

I can only recommend products I've actually tested, and I haven't had anything from Storm Audio. The closest I've got is the Focal Astral 16, which I believe is a re-badged Storm processor with built-in amplification. It's really good, but basically it's a Dirac product and there are loads to choose from.

For me the MP-60 is unique because RoomPerfect is completely different from all the other systems out there in the way it approaches room correction. I know there are people who want to spend all their time going down an acoustic rabbit hole, but I prefer a system that's easy to use and incredibly effective. At the end of the day I'm not interested in constantly fiddling about – I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy my films with the best possible sound.

They've had to jump thru a fair few hoops for this new amp, it should have been out a fair while ago... I do fancy one.. I think it may have to happen, thanks for the extra push :rotfl:
Last I heard they're due in August, but obviously Covid19 could delay the release (again).

Last I heard they're due in August, but obviously Covid19 could delay the release (again).

It may do.. these are weird times. I still see an awful lot of absolute wibble about class D being bad. I don't think people want to actually learn the very basics of power amplifiers but instead want to parrot screech whatever out of date nonsense they just read on What HiFi or what some inept/dodgy dealer has waffled them in to.

I know there are people who want to spend all their time going down an acoustic rabbit hole, but I prefer a system that's easy to use and incredibly effective. At the end of the day I'm not interested in constantly fiddling about – I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy my films with the best possible sound.

Part of this problem was that in order to get something good, you really did have to do all sorts of things on the lower end until people got Anthem's ARC. I don't think people realise that coding is probably the most important thing these days as high end processors are computers and while you may get a good note out of an Arcam or Emotiva... could you really be arsed with all the other nonsense, that may not be fixed for months or even at all..

It may do.. these are weird times. I still see an awful lot of absolute wibble about class D being bad. I don't think people want to actually learn the very basics of power amplifiers but instead want to parrot screech whatever out of date nonsense they just read on What HiFi or what some inept/dodgy dealer has waffled them in to.

Part of this problem was that in order to get something good, you really did have to do all sorts of things on the lower end until people got Anthem's ARC. I don't think people realise that coding is probably the most important thing these days as high end processors are computers and while you may get a good note out of an Arcam or Emotiva... could you really be arsed with all the other nonsense, that may not be fixed for months or even at all..
Agreed. By the way, that's an impressive system you've got there!

Last edited:
Agreed. By the way, that's an impressive system you've got there!

Thanks, I still have to finish some of it off (mostly cosmetic) and on a recent call I'd mentioned your room has similar traits to mine. I was able to back up, what room perfect was doing and with some sub distance tinkering (again, thanks to @arisholm) managed to end up with a very decent response.

An observable test I stumbled across was male voices in the lower mid band every now and again had a jarring honk noise, it's subtle, but once you hear it, it is never unheard and RP's bass integration really deals nicely with that - it's also a bi product of unintelligible dialogue issues.

I know they are researching an HDMI 2.1 board and if not killed off by covid19 I'll be following that up at ISE 2021. I've a good idea what's going to be showcased there too ;)

For me the MP-60 is unique because RoomPerfect is completely different from all the other systems out there in the way it approaches room correction. I know there are people who want to spend all their time going down an acoustic rabbit hole, but I prefer a system that's easy to use and incredibly effective. At the end of the day I'm not interested in constantly fiddling about – I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy my films with the best possible sound.

Thanks for the review Steve, this paragraph pretty much sums things up for me, i’ve used Dirac but much prefer the simplicity of RP, dipped my toe in with it for two channel but have recently moved to a MP-50 within the last couple of weeks and do not regret it one bit, fantastic processor :thumbsup:

Great review (as was the HCC one) and high praise indeed. So thanks ever so much for putting in the hours to do this. This is now high on the lust list.
A couple of questions. I get what is meant in this instance by preserving the signature sound of the speakers, but would this then make it harder to integrate the surrounds and ceiling speakers from different manufacturers with the mains (whose signature sound is the one which I most care about)? In other words, will intrinsic aspects like timbral diferences between them be accentuated? Also, is it possible to save presets for different listening conditions, specifically for when a retractactable "acoustically transparent" screen is in place and not?

I can only recommend products I've actually tested, and I haven't had anything from Storm Audio. The closest I've got is the Focal Astral 16, which I believe is a re-badged Storm processor with built-in amplification. It's really good, but basically it's a Dirac product and there are loads to choose from.

The Focal is effectively a Mk1. Mk2 at this point has a much better noise floor than Mk1, Dirac BM (Although Mk1 get that by firmware too) and all the new features added between the MP-50 and MP-60. Storm mentioned something interesting that they have the most sample points in their Dirac implementation than anything else on the market so not all Dirac implementations are quite the same.

Great review (as was the HCC one) and high praise indeed. So thanks ever so much for putting in the hours to do this. This is now high on the lust list.
A couple of questions. I get what is meant in this instance by preserving the signature sound of the speakers, but would this then make it harder to integrate the surrounds and ceiling speakers from different manufacturers with the mains (whose signature sound is the one which I most care about)? In other words, will intrinsic aspects like timbral diferences between them be accentuated? Also, is it possible to save presets for different listening conditions, specifically for when a retractactable "acoustically transparent" screen is in place and not?

it's possible - it depends on how far off your surrounds are from your mains - that atmos maybe not so much as you don't necessarily hear overhead fx panning in the same way but best practice is one brand to rule them all.

You could change a voicing for screen up and screen down but if your AT screen is anything like mine you'd likely not be able to hear the difference at all and you'd certainly need something like REW to back up any pre perceived notion you may have of this.

I can only really dream of this end of the hobby but it's definitely something to aspire to if I ever come into enough money. With my room I'm not sure I'd really see the benefit but it would be a great experiment.

In the interim I'll just have to make do with my "average" gear. Can't say I feel like I'm in any way missing anything though!

G

I really don’t think you can mention the Arcam AV40 as an alternative at the present point in time: it’s got so many issues (particularly with Dirac), and was clearly released way, way too soon. The latest firmware release has made things worse, by accounts on the forum here.

I really don’t think you can mention the Arcam AV40 as an alternative at the present point in time: it’s got so many issues (particularly with Dirac), and was clearly released way, way too soon. The latest firmware release has made things worse, by accounts on the forum here.
I've heard it's got issues, but it does exist and Phil is supposed to be reviewing it soon, which is why I mentioned it.

Great review Steve. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to test the Storm Audio before long. Horses for courses I guess but the simplicity and results you get from RP for me are much preferable to endless tweaking, software alterations, or in effect, dealer only installation and tweaking that seem necessary from other products.

Like many, the MP-50 or 60 are aspirational for me, but as an Anthem 720 owner, now Genesis brings Mac compatibility, that works for my budget.

Magic Lyngdorf ! sounds like a basketball player 😊

it's possible - it depends on how far off your surrounds are from your mains - that atmos maybe not so much as you don't necessarily hear overhead fx panning in the same way but best practice is one brand to rule them all.

You could change a voicing for screen up and screen down but if your AT screen is anything like mine you'd likely not be able to hear the difference at all and you'd certainly need something like REW to back up any pre perceived notion you may have of this.
One brand to rule them all is certainly true. However, until Meridian come out with an on-wall speaker to match the house sound of my fronts, I have to look elsewhere. Their in-walls are not an option.
As to the screen (Screen Research Clearpix), I do notice a small difference requiring a notch or two extra of treble and a smidgen extra volume to equalise the center behind the screen to match its identical partners that sit on either side just outside of it. I have this locked in on my current processor as different presets for film and music and was wondering if this was also possible on the MP-60.

For me the ACT4 is over-priced and far from user-friendly. It can sound great, but to get the best out of it requires a PhD in applied acoustics!

I agree there will be a time commitment with REW or other software to set up the right EQ without ASPEQT, but no one says setting up the Trinnov is a quick 5 minute affair. why would ASPEQT be harder than say the Trinnov ?

@dBrowne Yes, there are adjustable presets for movies and music which you can edit, copy or make from scratch. My point was that i's likely that there are speakers that sound and measure much like your meridians - obviously I don't know what, but to think every speaker is a unique snowflake would be short sighted.

I agree there will be a time commitment with REW or other software to set up the right EQ without ASPEQT, but no one says setting up the Trinnov is a quick 5 minute affair. why would ASPEQT be harder than say the Trinnov ?

No automated system is hard. Lyngdorf mostly gets it right and sounds well right off the bat and a lot of this is due how it's designed. To get the same level or close to the Lyngdorf with TEQ or Dirac , be prepared to possibly put a lot of time into tweaking and reading up on a lot of things.

More is not always better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom