Quantcast

Lyngdorf MP-50 Surround Sound Processor Review

orange55

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Rich at Seriouslycinema is your man. [emoji3]
He's a smidge out of the way. Not sure who does Lyngdorf in oz tho... I'm amazed they have electricity, frankly.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We have calibrated lots of Lyngdorf and Steinway Lyngdorf recently and the response has been incredible, but one thing that is often said is that the systems doesn’t sound as loud as they were expecting.

Here is my 2c’s worth on what’s different with a Lyngdorf/ Steinway Lyngdorf system.

LOUDNESS – DISTORTION & VOLUME LEVEL

In a conventional audio system, you are used to turning the system up until it sounds a little uncomfortable and then turning it down a touch. This is the point where we can hear the amps or speakers distorting. For parties and Blockbuster movies, many people would often listen to the system just below this level.

Listening above this level will damage equipment and eventually your hearing. At lower volume levels there is a loss of dynamics as you become more aware of the background noise in the system. This means you have a sweet spot on your volume dial where things sound as good as they can.

With Steinway Lyngdorf and to a lesser extent, Lyngdorf systems, as the equipment adds so little background noise, so you can still hear everything even at very low levels.

When you turn the system up to very high-volume levels there is still no distortion, so you can listen at much higher volume levels than you are used to without damage to equipment or your hearing.

I found that after a month or so, listeners retrain their hearing and then find other systems played at high volume levels very distorted while your system just sounds natural.

Here are a couple of tests that I’ve found useful:-

1. Turn the volume in a good film track up so dialogue levels are what you would expect from some talking to you clearly in the room. The film soundtrack should sound comfortable and natural however when there is an explosion, the much greater dynamic range of the Lyngdorf system will mean the special effects etc will be far more realistic and terrifying. Think what it would sound like if someone fired a gun or started a race car next to you and that’s what you should be hearing.

2. The other thing you will notice is that although the system doesn’t sound overly loud or shouty in your listening room, it’s just the distortion you are missing. Go to the next room and you’ll hear how loud and clear the system remains. As you walk back into the room you start to appreciate how loud the system is.

3. Try is a pair of good professional headphones like Sennheiser HD25s. Compare the sound of these at all volume levels with your system and both should sound the same tonally. Anything added by the system is distortion.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
There's a scene in Dunkirk near the start where the main character is moving along a quiet street and then some higher caliber gun fires and busts up a wooden gate behind him.

Near shat myself. Seemingly infinite volume is the first thing I noticed moving up to the MP50, was just reading a similar thing from one of the American weirdos on AVS.

*edit: Oh, right - that's sarcasm, don't panic Marc.

ti33er

...if only I had £12K laying about :D

orange55

...if only I had £12K laying about :D
The interesting thing is that my Tag Amps stood up very well to the current market of amps and are therefore staying and I have added another 100x5R for the overhead speakers.

ti33er

lol, you need to find a 250X3R somewhere...there is a jump up from the 100X5R (tried and tested with RJPCardoso)

The 250X3R (or 250MR) sounds better in my current system than with my nCore NC500 amplifier ...TAG 250 has more prodigious bass and more treble detail somehow (even though nCore is claimed to have zero distortion and colourless, the perfect amplifier)

The AUDIOLAB 8200MB is NOT the same as the 250MR btw...

BobbyMac

Banned
There's a scene in Dunkirk near the start where the main character is moving along a quiet street and then some higher caliber gun fires and busts up a wooden gate behind him.

Near shat myself. Seemingly infinite volume is the first thing I noticed moving up to the MP50, was just reading a similar thing from one of the American weirdos on AVS.

*edit: Oh, right - that's sarcasm, don't panic Marc.
Did the same myself the other week when I put it on for the first time :laugh:

Steve Stifler

Finally got to hear one of these along with a stack of Lyngdorf amps, MK Sound 300 speakers and X12 subs in a hybrid set up I’ve not come across before. Watched a number of film clips and many different types of music, all courtesy of Arrow-AV. Comparing two channel and building up the use of speakers to give a fully, and I mean fully emersive experience. The front sound stage was immense, a wall of sound.

Using the different voicings available on the Lyngdorf gave a fantastic experience. The best I’ve heard on a surround/sub-sat system. Dolby Atmos was truly exceptional. It reminded me of the London Steinway-Lyngdorf Cinema that I heard at The Sausage Factory. This was a fab mix of Lyngdorf and MK Sound. I’ve never heard a system produce orchestral music so realistically, it was like being at the concert. Better than the Focal Utopias and Naim statement I heard for example.

What a great afternoon full of enjoyment and a great host as well. The hybrid set up (I won’t say exactly what it was because too many people will love to troll, even though they weren’t there, and I’m sure they won’t have come across this......they must be omnipotent av enthusiasts I guess). All I’ll say is sometimes you gotta break the rules, innovation was the name of the game. I understood the set up is going to move to a different more permanent demonstration space. This is definitely something to keep an eye out for. Loved it!

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
I have heard this set up as well. I'm sure Arrow-Av will be holding open days in the future and a lot of people are going to be impressed.

I'm pretty sure to get his way, his ultimate system will be built in the skies or international waters.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It is a pretty incredible system with a few additional speakers to say the least.

The MP-50/MK systems are absolutely stunning. I’m going to be upgrading our LCR to the new IW150’s and will add a pair of IW950’s as front heights to achieve a 5.5.6 system. Would love to add wides but just don’t have the room.

Steve Stifler

I was surprised just how good this sounded, giving a great sense of being surrounded. That MP50 must have some serious skills! It may be an interaction further along since you heard it IIRC.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Yes I heard this system a few months ago and some additions have been made.

This is why the MP-50 is my processor of choice. I’ve not heard a better processor to date.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’m visiting Arrow on 28th to hear the new set up.

I heard it last year when it was under development and it was just incredible then, so I’m fascinated to see how its evolved.

For Steve to say this system with the £2,000 Lyngdorf SDA2400’s amp and a pair of on wall speakers that cost £4,600 sounded better than a stereo only system, with the £125,000 Naim Statement amplifier and £100k plus Focals, makes well, a real Statement.

The more scientific, measurable benefits that Lyngdorf’s approach to audio reproduction delivers compared to that of the HiFi World is going to ruffle a lot of feathers. In the home cinema / CI world this approach has been tested and proven. Now stereo products with these benefits are appearing on the market it should make for some very interesting comparisons.

Bwidner2

Novice Member
Thank you for the excellent review. I just ordered an MP-50 and SDA-2400 amplifiers. I am unclear on how to connect 2 subwoofers. Can anyone assist on how this is done?

Please forgive my ignorance. I've setup two subs on my Integra, but had to use a Y splitter which I hope to avoid on the MP-50.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Use AUX 1 and AUX2 for your Subs and not LFE. Simples.

Bwidner2

Novice Member
I see you have MK in walls which seems popular in the UK. Please forgive my flying off course here, but are you happy with your speakers? I am auditioning in walls now and could use more advice.

Currently looking at Wisdom Audio, GTL & Lyngdorf on walls.

orange55

I see you have MK in walls which seems popular in the UK. Please forgive my flying off course here, but are you happy with your speakers? I am auditioning in walls now and could use more advice.

Currently looking at Wisdom Audio, GTL & Lyngdorf on walls.
They are really good. I went from Linn Akruate 242 floor standing speakers. The IW300 combined with the X10 subs are in a completly different league. So much detail, clarity, width and depth of sound stage. They are gray with music, which was my main requirement.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member

Ashmanuk

I've been going through a lot of different sub configurations i.e placement with the MP-50

First configuration....
Left and right front corners
Sub-mk150-sub on top, left and right
Lots of bass speakers good but all felt a bit congested.

Second configuration...
Single sub on floor mk150 mounted on wall above sub. Left and right front of room.
Back of room behind seat's rear sub left rear sub right.
All subs are output as Aux 1. 2 3 4 no LFE

This configuration works really well for films it seems to give a better sweep of the surround channels.

It amazes me that I can plunk 4 18" DIY subs in a room with no pre EQ going on, run Roomperfect and hear what I'm hearing I'm sure it's not perfect but to me sounds quite epic.

Been wanting to try 4 AUX subs for ages

@Rob Sinden would you ever consider some form of training session on voicing for the Lyndorf products?
I would love to know how to relly use this to it's full potential.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Ashman

I don't consider myself a real expert on Voicings but having talked to the guys at British Grove Studios about this and spent a year creating my own, I’m happy to demonstrate the systems here to musicians and audio professionals without worrying that my additions will be compromising the quality Lyngdorf or Steinway technology do.

If you’d like to come by one day or evening, I’d love to show you how I do it, if you want to organise it here other people are welcome to come along.

It’s made much here as I have 9 systems set up with RoomPerfect, so I’m used to hearing really accurate sound. When you have this as a baseline its very easy to hear faults in systems and recordings and with a little practice to know how to fix them or simply add a little more spice to what you are listening to.