Lyngdorf MP-40 AV Processor Review & Comments

Mine turned up today, will be spending some time today setting up and then have the weekend for demoing!

Thanks for all the advice!

Hi All,

Possibly a stupid question but I am setting up my MP-40 and Yamaha for the first time and it is something I havent done before (seems somewhat more complex than my Denon 8500!). I think I am nearly there but I have previously plugged my SVS sub into my Denon 8500 using a single RCA cable. It looks like it needs to go into the MP-40 with the same XLR cables I have used for everything else. I will order a new XLR cable but until it arrives (so I can play now!) can I still use a RCA cable to plug the sub into the MP-40, I cant figure out where it would go............

Cheers!

Hi All,

Possibly a stupid question but I am setting up my MP-40 and Yamaha for the first time and it is something I havent done before (seems somewhat more complex than my Denon 8500!). I think I am nearly there but I have previously plugged my SVS sub into my Denon 8500 using a single RCA cable. It looks like it needs to go into the MP-40 with the same XLR cables I have used for everything else. I will order a new XLR cable but until it arrives (so I can play now!) can I still use a RCA cable to plug the sub into the MP-40, I cant figure out where it would go............

Cheers!

There is no RCA sub out on the MP40. It's all XLR.

All sorted and watched Ready Player One on Sunday and was very impressed. The sound seperation was superb and it felt way more precise than the Denon. The Denon was a lot of noise that sounded decent but this was just more refined in every way. Made watching the movie much more of sn experience!

Got loads more watching to do! Thanks for all the advice/support all!

I've got an MP-40 on order and have just read the user guide, I have a couple of Dolby Atmos upward firing speakers set on top of my front L&R mains but I couldn't see an obvious description for these in the Lyngdorf speaker types, any pointers?

Also do you guys recommend using the onscreen TV user menu or the Web interface via a laptop for ease of set up or does it not make any difference?

I've got an MP-40 on order and have just read the user guide, I have a couple of Dolby Atmos upward firing speakers set on top of my front L&R mains but I couldn't see an obvious description for these in the Lyngdorf speaker types, any pointers?

Also do you guys recommend using the onscreen TV user menu or the Web interface via a laptop for ease of set up or does it not make any difference?
I had the MP-60 in my home and cannot recommend it for upward firing speakers.
I wasn't able to get any sound from them except with Dolby Atmos or the Dolby upmixer.
With DTS:X, Neural:X or Auro the output is always x.x.0.

I had the MP-60 in my home and cannot recommend it for upward firing speakers.
I wasn't able to get any sound from them except with Dolby Atmos or the Dolby upmixer.
With DTS:X, Neural:X or Auro the output is always x.x.0.
I’ve never used up firing speakers but I thought you simply select as if they were top speakers in the set up? Sounds like something not right in your set up as opposed to the processor.

@Lrehcsa I use the web interface (on my phone) when setting up and running RP, partly so I can sit out of the room whilst its all going on! But don’t believe there is a right or wrong just your own preference.

I’ve never used up firing speakers but I thought you simply select as if they were top speakers in the set up? Sounds like something not right in your set up as opposed to the processor.
I don't think that there is something wrong in my setup. When you switch from top speakers to normal height speakers in the setup it just works. Lyngdorf said that it is normal that there is no sound with up firing speakers, because it's in the codec from DTS. When you ask me, that doesn't sound right and it's a bug they are not willing to fix.

So you just fudge it by setting them to front height speakers?

So you just fudge it by setting them to front height speakers?
You would get sound from them, yes. But that's not a solution in my opinion. The delays and everything would be just wrong. The processor has to take into account that the sound is reflected from the ceiling. I really can't understand, why Lyngdorf says this is working as intended. Even the manual says you will get sound from ALL attached speakers with the upmixers.

Agreed that’s what I was thinking on the delays, I don’t understand it, upward firing Dolby Atmos speakers are hardly a new thing and an entry level Denon AVR has a speaker type setting for them and associated processing.

Agreed that’s what I was thinking on the delays, I don’t understand it, upward firing Dolby Atmos speakers are hardly a new thing and an entry level Denon AVR has a speaker type setting for them and associated processing.
The Lyngdorf has a setting for them too. They just don't work with DTS and Auro. For a processor in this price range that's just stupid.

Hello All,

I am in the process of making my decision on upgrading the AV processor in the cave, it is currently an Anthem MRX720 with Anthem power amps and Martin Logan speakers. It sounds outstanding so stepping up is difficult and after some research I believe the next step up is Lyngdorf. I wonder if anyone had the chance to compare the Anthem sound to the MP40-60? Let's exclude room correction for now.

Thanks

Let's exclude room correction for now.

Wouldn't that be redundant tho? since it's the single most important thing to the end result of your sound.

What other comparisons were you looking for? No one is going to be able to single out any electronic bits and say definitively if one is better than the other, but it's pretty obvious that Lyngdorf's room correction will do a better job than ARC's Genesis.

Hello All,

I am in the process of making my decision on upgrading the AV processor in the cave, it is currently an Anthem MRX720 with Anthem power amps and Martin Logan speakers. It sounds outstanding so stepping up is difficult and after some research I believe the next step up is Lyngdorf. I wonder if anyone had the chance to compare the Anthem sound to the MP40-60? Let's exclude room correction for now.

Thanks
Yes I have an Anthem in one room and Lyngdorf in the other. Anthem is good, Lyngdorf is another league.

Yes I have an Anthem in one room and Lyngdorf in the other. Anthem is good, Lyngdorf is another league.
Thank you. That's without room correction? I know RP is another world altogether.

Couldn't afford that or a lyngdorf, well i could , but then id have no speakers no power amps no tv no subs no projector .

so i could just sit and look at it and wonder what it sounded like! Hahahaha

Last edited:
I think I am nearly there but I have previously plugged my SVS sub into my Denon 8500 using a single RCA cable. It looks like it needs to go into the MP-40 with the same XLR cables I have used for everything else. I will order a new XLR cable but until it arrives (so I can play now!) can I still use a RCA cable to plug the sub into the MP-40, I cant figure out where it would go............
Hi mrapbp ;just for the future[ cables through walls etc] if you have a xlr rca adapter you wont need a new cable just something like this female out and your rca cable :)

Hosa GXR-134 XLR(F) to RCA(M) Adaptor

I'm seriously considering moving to an MP-40. I've gone through a lot of processors in my time. I even owned the original unit from Lexicon, the CP-1, which cost me an absurd $1500.00 back in the early 80's. I believe, it was the first and only home surround processor available.

I've read through the entire ten pages here. Here is what it comes down to for me. If, in moving from my Marantz 8805, I will hear noticeably improved quality of surround sound, for the soundtracks of movies I am watching, and also hear very high quality surround sound in hi rez music recorded in surround, I'm good.

On the fact that Room Perfect will deliver me quite noticeable improvement in movies I'm watching in terms of sound, and also likely to some degree picture quality I'm pretty well sold. Though I would appreciate hearing the input of owners here who have previously owned other processors and an idea of how much better the Lyngdorf is.

I would also greatly appreciate hearing the thoughts of those who have played Blu Ray music surround discs via an Oppo, or other player, on the music surround quality the MP-40 delivers. Thanks very much for your thoughts..

JC

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom